Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
My 8 yrs old Canon Digital Elph S10 finally die. Spent another $20 for a brand new ebay battery did not work either. Call Canon tech support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040, for my dead Canon + $304, they will ship me this one, http://www.fotoconnection.com/p11462...mera-body.html, body + 18-55mm lens w 6 month waranty. I think it is quite reasonable . Will post when camera come. I think the Canon Loyalty program deals more than just camera.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-02 at 22:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ California
Very cool. I broke the LCD on my SD300, wonder what I can get it for.

Originally Posted by AstroGuy View Post
Very cool. I broke the LCD on my SD300, wonder what I can get it for.
I paid $300 plus my 100% dead S10 (which I had used for 8 yrears!) and got a digital rebel with lens. It is the top of line model from Canon. This loyalty program bought me . BTW, the digital rebel is a professional camera, very heavy and bulky, TTL system, with 58mm lens. Other than a labelled 'refurbished', the package looked new.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-22 at 23:25.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I paid $300 plus my 100% dead S10 (which I had used for 8 yrears!) and got a digital rebel with lens. It is the top of line model from Canon. This loyalty program bought me .
I was considering getting the Rebel with an old S500 with a broken CCD (known issue), but decided to just get it repaired (as my mother wants a small camera anyway) and spend the $300 on a 50mm f/1.4 lens instead. I've already got a Rebel XTi anyway.

Now, that is really really making me jealous, GENERAL! Well, I guess, everybody earns a living, may as well spend on things you really want. So photography is a searious hobby for you too, right? Me too, other than computer, photography is my larger than life hobby! I always want to do some timesequency lapse photo, never have the knowhow, never have the $, never have tried it. With this EOS, I am going to try. May be I will put up some pics here someday....

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-22 at 21:24.

Bun:

Do you have to pay anything to join the loyality program?

I have the XT already, but in a few years, it will go to the bit heaven and I hope I can also take advantage of the said program at that time:-). Btw, the XT was the top of the line; but it is no longer the case. However, for a causal user like myself, it was and still is very good.

cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
No. One do not have to pay to join the loyalty program. It has been there since 2006. And Canon keeps on putting up re-furbished cameras for the program. So, there is no telling what cameras WILL be there when you use the program. Anyhow, I think it is very good for the consumer, just ask yourself, what can you do with a dead electronics? Not much.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-22 at 23:25.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Now, that is really really making me jealous, GENERAL! Well, I guess, everybody earns a living, may as well spend on things you really want. So photography is a searious hobby for you too, right? Me too, other than computer, photography is my larger than life hobby! I always want to do some timesequency lapse photo, never have the knowhow, never have the $, never have tried it. With this EOS, I am going to try. May be I will put up some pics here someday....
Not really serious-serious, and mostly only recently (only got the XTi about 4 months ago), but I'm getting into it. Shooting with DSLR is worlds away from the point'n'shoot experience and will really kickstart you into photography in a big way.

Make sure you pick up a good tripod and remote. Expect to pay at least $120 for a tripod, otherwise it's just not worth it—a bad tripod is worse than no tripod at all. The remote will let you do really long bulb exposures on cool stuff like starts (do an 4-8 hour exposure of the sky to get them moving). Just lock the button down and come back to it later.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
yeah, if he was "serious-serious", he'd have spent the money on a 70-200mm f/2.0 (pro) lens, and not that 50mm lens.

-- Brian
(who has an Elan IIe, and several lenses... no large digital cameras, tho. not yet)

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ California
bah.. browser cleared my post.. trying again.

I also have an XTi. My hobby camera for playing around, mostly HDR, which is a lot of fun, but sometimes time consuming. (check http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/ for Linux users) My favourite lens is the 50mm f1.4. I'd rather walk closer then carry around heavy zoom lenses, although f2 for a zoom is impressive, probably more expensive than all my camera gear combined!

Anyways, thanks for pointing out the canon reward program. I really liked my SD300 for casual shots and taking to parties and such where a SLR is cumbersome. I'll have to call and see what they offer.

The Following User Says Thank You to AstroGuy For This Useful Post: