Poll: Faster locks?
Poll Options
Faster locks?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
I don't use GPS every day, better to say regulary.

I'm sure there's no changes with the speed GPS locks. It was and still is pretty fast for me, I haven't noticed any changes since I flashed 1.3.

Accuracy hasn't improved either(for me it's easy to check coz it never shows the right position when I'm home^^).

And I've never changed supl server.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
When my friend returns from Ireland with his N900 (running 1.2) I'll do some comparisons and share the results.
Well it's official. GPS locks are easily 3 to 4 times faster than they are with PR1.2! My buddy couldn't believe it and has updated his N900 and is currently happy as a clam!

Doesn't anyone else see the improvement??

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Its true for locks with activated AGPS. I get a lock in about 2 seconds at a new location (serveral 100km away from the last), Used to be about 15 before.
But lock without AGPS is still dead slow. I was in a position where I only had UMTS via Data-Roaming (=expensive) so I disabled AGPS. I had to wait about 15 minutes for a lock despite the device showing 10 recognized satellites after 2 minutes

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Balzan Malta
Yes. Without AGPS is very slow. To get a lock on my n900 I have to wait about 7minutes minimum and usually even more. And I tested this not from inside a building but from outside where there were no buildings near me so it should be fast. And in GPSjini I can see that it found about 10 or more satelites and the signal on 5 of them is 100% but still it does not lock. I can not understand this.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
P.R. 1.3 seems to have a Ovi Map that actually retains the AGPS data so it locks much faster.

Pre-1.3 it always would download the AGPS data every time you started it up.

Grossly inaccurate for me now though!

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I thought this was wishful thinking on my part;

I rarely used GPS because we have next to no cell signal at home and Ovi Maps for N900 is all but useless for me.

I tried the 'new and improved' PR1.3 version soon after reflashing and thought I'd accidentally activated the AGPS - the GPS locked on in about 5 seconds.

Lat week I ran repeated tests both in and out of cell and there is definately a huge difference on my device. I can usually lock on within 3 secs and even get a good GPS signal indoors.

Thus encouraged, I invested in Sygic last night and was so busy playing with it on the way into work I arrived late...

I thought GPS was supposed to save you time?

Confirmed

I suspected most of these rumors of improved lock times are due to
improved A-Gps arrangements but:

I am in the middle of a jungle here and turned off A-GPS
and just now witnessed cold-start lock in 90seconds.
The unit had not been used for GPS in the last 48 hours
so I am guessing they are storing the almanac.
Previously under PR 1.2 I saw times of anywhere from 5 to 10min to get cold-start lock,
which I guessed to indicate the system was discarding almanac information.

I am impressed.

Now that I have two units I am thinking I might try to set up
a dgps arrangement if I can find the time to work out how to do it.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Hi everyone,

I have issue with Nokia Maps & Drive App.

I update my N9 64GB (Product Code: 059J1V4) to PR 1.3 with a PC and I still can't use my Maps & Drive app because it stays in "Waiting for position" and the "Looking for GPS" forever.

I had this problem since with the PR 1.0, PR 1.2 and PR 1.3, they stay in "Waiting for position" and the "Looking for GPS" and the navigation never works.. Only with PR1.1, I was able to run correctly the GPS.

Any clue how to fix the problem?

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by llDonovanll View Post
Hi everyone,

I have issue with Nokia Maps & Drive App.

I update my N9 64GB (Product Code: 059J1V4) to PR 1.3 with a PC and I still can't use my Maps & Drive app because it stays in "Waiting for position" and the "Looking for GPS" forever.

I had this problem since with the PR 1.0, PR 1.2 and PR 1.3, they stay in "Waiting for position" and the "Looking for GPS" and the navigation never works.. Only with PR1.1, I was able to run correctly the GPS.

Any clue how to fix the problem?
I used to have this problem ("Looking for satellites" in Drive, from PR1.0->PR1.2)and one guy at Nokia told me that the problem could lie in the antenna printed on the case. Before knowing about this I have had mainboard replaced but didn't help, after telling nokia care that this could be the solution, I got the case/chasis replaced and it now works as it should. If you did have GPS working in PR1.1 then I don't know if this info is helpful at all, you could give it a try though.

Oh and this thread is for N900 btw

Last edited by Kozzi; 2012-07-07 at 04:06.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I used to have this problem ("Looking for satellites" in Drive, from PR1.0->PR1.2)and one guy at Nokia told me that the problem could lie in the antenna printed on the case. Before knowing about this I have had mainboard replaced but didn't help, after telling nokia care that this could be the solution, I got the case/chasis replaced and it now works as it should. If you did have GPS working in PR1.1 then I don't know if this info is helpful at all, you could give it a try though.

Oh and this thread is for N900 btw
Thanks for you reply.

My bad to post my question on the wrong thread.. :S