Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Yes and no.

In the early days, the days of the dark age, rooting VM phone is like pulling teeth. Today, rooting is like turning your light on or off.

3 scenerio, all at your disposal.

1) use the VM phone as is, no rooting
2) use the VM phone with root, waiting to be kick out if caught
3) root the VM phone, do what you want to do, then unroot it again.

What do you think?

To root the VM phone today, dl an app call gingerbreak, to root and unroot is like flipping a switch.

Hope this helps,

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
i'm kinda lost with the story...

but if t-mo's reception is your only problem, why not go to at&t if it seems you got coverage instead of getting a new phone?

with people eating up each other in the 3g space, 2g will be all yours to use with your n900. i don't know about at&t's data speed but t-mo's 2g is acceptable...

Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post
i'm kinda lost with the story...

but if t-mo's reception is your only problem, why not go to at&t if it seems you got coverage instead of getting a new phone?

with people eating up each other in the 3g space, 2g will be all yours to use with your n900. i don't know about at&t's data speed but t-mo's 2g is acceptable...
ATnT has cap. and cost an arm and a leg. So far, I am quite satisfy with VM's coverage. I have NOT travel yet. will see when I get out of town... in town. The coverage is spotless.

bun

I just picked up my Optimus V a few days ago! This certainly ranks in the "very sweet deal" category! The price has dropped on the phone to $149 now and I had a 10% off coupon at Best Buy (So I'd og get you're $50 back from Wallyworld)

I was actually still using my 770 as a cheap GPS (mameo mapper) but won't be doing that anymore. Google Maps and Navigator work great on the Optimus V and I hear Google Navigation will actually support offline driving directions sometime this summer. (http://androidandme.com/2011/06/appl...e-this-summer/)

The only problem with VM is no roaming so when you're out of Sprints coverage you're SoL, but can still use wi-fi hotspots.

Now the question is what to do with my 770? I don't want to sell it, but don't want it sitting in the closet idle. I suppose I could us it as a low powered (as in energy use) Linux device...it was a fun ride n770!

Hmm, so it turns out I actually have some Sprint service here, even though their coverage maps indicate no service at all. I guess I am going to get one some time next year, I have to see how the market evolves. I hope the other companies will take notice and offer similar offers. In Europe you can get 3G for like 10-20 bucks a month, 5GB+.

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
...Now the question is what to do with my 770? I don't want to sell it, but don't want it sitting in the closet idle....
I use my 770/N8x0 as a remote music streamer. It works well.

bun

Motorola Triumph, $299, about 7/19 launch, preorder at bestbuy, http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/06...video-roundup/

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Yeah, seen that too.
Looks like a better phone than the N900, except for the lack of keyboard. I love the bigger screen, HD video (although we have no idea yet how good the quality will be) and the fact that it is actually using a supported OS, unlike Meego/Maemo which is at the end of life :/

The Following User Says Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:

Tags
data plan, droid, google, optimus