Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Would be interest to see how a N810 owner now has N900 vote today.
My N810 took a few minutes to get the initial lock, after which it was quite usable. We wereI was told that the N810 used an older chipset, and that any newer device would be likely to be much better.

Anyway I haven't been able to get a GPS lock on my N900 yet, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep experimenting.

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[QUOTE=eiffel;411579...Anyway I haven't been able to get a GPS lock on my N900 yet, but maybe I'm doing something wrong....[/QUOTE]

Ouch...

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I had a GPS problem on my n900 out of the box. I think I disabled it, reboot, then enabled it and its been working fine since.

Looking at these poll results it can't be hardware related. At least it's unlikely that either Nokia made so many faulty units, or the GPS was badly implemented. I suspect its software related.

The Following User Says Thank You to dgeros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sunnyvale, CA, USA
At first, it seemed that the GPS was pretty much useless. I tried it from several locations -- inside, outside -- around the silicon valley. It would take minutes to get a fix, if it could get one at all. Now, it can get a fix within a few seconds. So, I can think of three likely explanations.

1. my N900 magically "healed" itself

2. T-mobile fixed something so that A-GPS is now working

3. There's some bug in the GPS software, e.g. some weird thread issue which prevents the GPS from working properly while the device is downloading maps or it's building some kind of hints database for getting a course location fixes.

I'm leaning toward #3 myself. All I can suggest is leaving OVI maps, or better yet the desktop "location" widget, enabled in the background for a couple days and see if your unit doesn't magically start working as it should. ( a few seconds for a course fix, and about 10-30 for a fine fix )

The Following User Says Thank You to caravanpub For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caravanpub View Post

3. There's some bug in the GPS software, e.g. some weird thread issue which prevents the GPS from working properly while the device is downloading maps or it's building some kind of hints database for getting a course location fixes.
I'm leaning toward a software bug as well.

If you have a GPS problem, try this:
1-deactivate all programs/software/widgets that use GPS
2-disable GPS (internal & server)
3-reboot
4-activate GPS

Also, if you are in a multi-story building. Try it by a window or outside.

The Following User Says Thank You to dgeros For This Useful Post:
the stock GPS software is bugged, it only lets your GPS search for satillites for 30 seconds, you can check it by switching to your desktop while your Map software is open, there will be a satillite at the top that blinks.

the fix is to download something like Ecoach that also activates your GPS, Run it first and let it lock, then open up the Map software that wasn't working and it will stay locked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epson800 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epson800 View Post
the stock GPS software is bugged, it only lets your GPS search for satillites for 30 seconds, you can check it by switching to your desktop while your Map software is open, there will be a satillite at the top that blinks.

the fix is to download something like Ecoach that also activates your GPS, Run it first and let it lock, then open up the Map software that wasn't working and it will stay locked.
So N900's GPS isn't a hardware issue?

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
It would also be great to have more than one GPS Source at once.

On my Nokia N95 I can select AGPS, internal GPS and Bluetooth GPS at once and additive Provider Network based Location. Not only a single source for GPS Data. And on the N95 it was great.

What about using a Bluetooth GPS antenna and when not aviable automaticaly activate the internal receiver?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ WA, USA
how about using other "Positioning Server"? Default is "supl.nokia.com". if we use other servers, would we get better (faster) fix??

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
This IS a stupid question, I know, and i apologise for it's Noobiness, but how do you get Voice Navigation on Ovi maps?