Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
1) usability
2) keep it pure - no much Nokia intervention which will make updates lag for about 5 month
3) take Maemo and add all the good ideas from brainstrom and you sure have a go
4) Full fetched browser - OperaMin looks good but no flash
5) adjust to competitors - Take whats good from others

Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

Last edited by marktold; 2010-08-18 at 15:32.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
September 15th is the day when Nokia better lay all their MeeGo/N9 cards on the table so to speak. If HTC steals the show with their rumored announcement of Desire HD....It could be the most EPIC FAIL of a Nokia World Conference for years to come. Sadly I am holding my breath as Nokia's marketing is just soo bad.
And Motorola. Don't forget they have an Android 3.0 tablet called the STINGRAY coming out later this year. I have no idea what the specs are, but considering there's a new 1280x768 profile in Android 3.0 and nVidia are singing the praises of how the Motorola STINGRAY will use their new Tegra graphics chips, and this looks like a pretty big tablet, this might give Nokia and MeeGo a black eye and a far more difficult time trying to catch up.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Of course it does. If MeeGo wouldn't be closer to a full desktop operating system, there would be no point to it, since Symbian is much lighter. Some functionality will be easy to implement on MeeGo and very hard on Symbian. Qt can't abstract away the things that a lighter operating system will inevitably be missing, and in many cases people will want and need to use other libraries than Qt.
Care to share some examples of such functionality (except the dbus thingy, which is already being tried to get rid of) ? The whole point of QtMobility is to abstract away those gritty details, and while being able to use other libs is a huge boon, (for better or worse) it's a sideeffect, not something encouraged.

Anyone who thinks MeeGo is a 'whatsthat' will most likely understand Qt even less. If the objective is to work around the Symbian brand, the best solution might be to start pushing Orbit and DirectUI branding, not Qt.
I would agree with that, but I also think making it clear that the actual platform is Qt, not MeeGo or Symbian, brings more benefit on the long run, exactly because it spans the whole Nokia smartphone ecosystem (=can provide synergy). And then, within that, those who care enough to know what Unix means can go for MeeGo. On a similar note - take the Bada thing - do you know how the constituent OS-es (one Linux, one some proprietary RTOS) are called ? Does anyone ? Does it matter ?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Will MeeGo + QT allow for the release of Office Software for the OS? Office Software + a 4 row keyboard would be a big improvement over Easy Debian + 3 row keyboard!!! Also hope if Nokia's MeeGo handset has 3.7in or 4.0in touchscreen that the resolution will be greater than 480x800 pixels. I'm sure this isn't too much to ask lol.

Last edited by automagic68; 2010-08-18 at 14:56.

Oracle may well make Meego succeed if everyone gets nervous about Java in Android.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Will MeeGo + QT allow for the release of Office Software for the OS? Office Software + a 4 row keyboard would be a big improvement over Easy Debian + 3 row keyboard!!! Also hope if Nokia's MeeGo handset has 3.7in or 4.0in touchscreen that the resolution will be greater than 480x800 pixels. I'm sure this isn't too much to ask lol.
Well, there is nothing preventing Office software from being released now, either (we even have a few of them), MeeGo gives no inherent advantage over Maemo in those terms. The screen was announced as a 800x480 (size wasn't specified).

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Well, there is nothing preventing Office software from being released now, either (we even have a few of them), MeeGo gives no inherent advantage over Maemo in those terms. The screen was announced as a 800x480 (size wasn't specified).
Huh?? When was a real MeeGo device's anything announced? I didn't know Nokia already announced their next->next device?

I know they announced some stuff about their Maemo/MeeGo hybrid.. but not a MeeGo device?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
What will make MeeGo be adopted be successful in the smartphone market where the Nokia n900 wasn't. What will make average smartphone users adopt Meego not just users who want to tinker there device...
What Will Make MeeGo Succeed?

Women and Windows. Simple azat.

The average smartphone user hasn't been fully realized yet. The driving force that has put Android over the top vs. the iPhone has been women.

Traditional smart phone users are road warriors that rely on secure e-mail and company served information and white collar geeks exploring smartphone possibilities. Both groups are mostly men.

The first group uses RIM and this wont change over night. The second group is fickle as all hell and their next desire is hard to predict.

The smartphone as a consumer device will be adopted most by women.

What will attract the trend setters are specific "killer" apps that cater to their needs and the service sectors that they most often work in. After that, they will explore other uses and these alpha women using the product will attract the beta's to it.

Real Estate, Health Care, Education, and Travel are 4 of these sectors that 3rd party apps could reach the alphas.

A full set of Windows tools should be available to developers and developers who use them exclusively should be groomed as some of the leaders in the MeeGo community.

"Just install Linux on your desktop." should be avoided as the default answer to any problems that they encounter and Windows specific solutions should be developed instead.

Prior to Maemo5 this community was Linux centric. In fact, Maemo was looked at by some as a means to convert Windows users over to the other side... but that was before Apple entered the smartphone picture and introduced a third desktop OS into the mix.

Soon Google will also have it's own desktop OS. Hoping everyone converts to a particular desktop OS because the smartphone it's based on is so dang great would now be a fools mission and resources better spent elsewhere.

One of this communities problems IMHO after Maemo5 dropped was its inability in dealing with the Windows users the N900 attracted.

As MeeGo matures and more devices are offered, alternatives to RIM will develop. Rugged, less expensive devices will attract the blue collar geeks, and the white collar geeks... Who knows? They may then be on to something completely different.

More immediate success will come by attracting new smartphone users. These new users will most likely be women and Windows users as well.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The smartphone as a consumer device will be adopted most by women.

What will attract the trend setters are specific "killer" apps [...]
Sudoku and Mahjong?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Compiz Fusion!! I want the Maemo swipe to be a 3D cube.