Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
I think it's very important to distinguish between Apple's "app store" and "app stores" in general.

Android has an app store (technically they have several), which doesn't behave much like Apple.

I understand and agree with your points about Apple's decisions regarding their app store. Apple has also made it that the only way to get applications on the device is through the app store (unless you are a developer and sideload the app directly on your device).

This is not the case with Android however. The android app store is just a sanctioned repository for applications which are being showcased; it is not the only source for installing applications. Applications can be installed directly, or from one of the other app stores which have sprung up.

I think this distinction is very important. Even assuming that Archos is intending to have their app store be the primary place for applications for their devices, the way Android is architected, they can't really prevent other applications from loading on it.

You can make complaints about the Android app store (the Official Google one), lord knows I do; but the issues you're presenting are specific to Apple, and not necessarily relevant on Android.
Thanks for this information. You are no doubt correct about the Android app store. I have never worked with Android. On the other hand, I have been working with Linux on the desktop, on the server, and on maemo for the better part of the last 15 years. So I am used to being able to apt-get install with a pool of 15 or 20 thousand packages and picking and choosing my desktop, window manager, apps etc.

On the other hand, the app store seems to provide a choke point for limiting the number and nature of apps. Apple's app store is the defacto example. And a pretty poor example it is. I am not familiar with Android app stores, so I will have to defer to you on this.

BTW, what part of DC do you live in?

--vr

While Archos’ event this week was predominantly about their Archos 5 Android-based Internet Tablet, they couldn’t help but tease with another upcoming device building on Google’s open-source platform. The Archos Phone Tablet is, as the name suggests, a 3.5G-enabled version of the Archos 5, adding HSDPA/HSUPA connectivity to the PMP’s existing WiFi b/g/n and Bluetooth.

Full specifications of the smartphone are unclear, but Archos did confirm that it would have a 4.3-inch 854 x 480 touchscreen (slightly smaller, but slightly higher resolution, than the Archos 5) together with using a faster, 1GHz ARM Cortex processor. It also keeps its PMP-sibling’s slender build, measuring just 10mm thick, and a brief rear glimpse showed a camera lens.
http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/..._0-540x408.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/..._1-540x323.jpg

Last edited by frank.wagner; 2009-09-19 at 04:19.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
frank.wagner your two links are hosed. Remove the first part with the ip address and it will work fine.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
I agree about Apple's app store. I can understand why they like it from their perspective, but from a user's perspective it does nothing but frustrate me.

I look at the Android app store (the official one) as something similar to Nokia showcasing applications they like on the Tablet home page. It has a payment mechanism built-in (a rather unsuccessful one if you believe the reports about how few android users will actually purchase apps), but the fact that I can install any .apk file that I download onto my phone makes me feel good.

Someone else above mentioned the lengths Archos goes to lock-in the user, and while I can't speak to their past antics (I've never been remotely tempted to purchase one of their devices), I think they'll have a hard time doing that with Android. At the very least, it defeats the purpose of using the platform, as the whole idea is that vendors don't need to spend resources developing the internals of the software. If you look at what other vendors are doing with Android (Motorola and HTC) they are basically just writing custom interfaces to run on top of it, as a way to differentiate (and pretty it up, because Android, like all things Google, is very much an engineer-driven OS).

I know they are fond of selling codec support, which is a little bootleg, but forgivable.

I'm not particularly interested in the Archos device, but I think it represents the first of a large number of new Android-powered devices (not just phones).

and to answer your other question, I live in Upper Northwest.

Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
Thanks for this information. You are no doubt correct about the Android app store. I have never worked with Android. On the other hand, I have been working with Linux on the desktop, on the server, and on maemo for the better part of the last 15 years. So I am used to being able to apt-get install with a pool of 15 or 20 thousand packages and picking and choosing my desktop, window manager, apps etc.

On the other hand, the app store seems to provide a choke point for limiting the number and nature of apps. Apple's app store is the defacto example. And a pretty poor example it is. I am not familiar with Android app stores, so I will have to defer to you on this.

BTW, what part of DC do you live in?

--vr

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I have the Archos 5 and it is very light (182g) and not noticeable in my pocket. Its a dream to use connected to bluetooth on my E71. Marketplace place apps loaded up on the device memory install fine.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
I have the Archos 5 and it is very light (182g) and not noticeable in my pocket. Its a dream to use connected to bluetooth on my E71. Marketplace place apps loaded up on the device memory install fine.
how would rate the web browsing on the archos 5 android.

thinking about picking this or the dell streak when ever it comes out.

my moto ever since the iphone was...no qwerty keypad = rubbish. Meaning I would never....ever...eva, buy any 'computer like gadget' without it having a keypad....I don't care how cool it looks or how fast it moves, having to smudge up the screen, and being extra careful to touch that one tiny area on the virtual keyboard to type, just doesn't cut it for me.

I have big meaty claws/hands and there's no way I'm gonna type a complete word on a touch screen without having major mistakes, tried with iphone and itouch and it stinks, literally. All in all touch screen typing is extremely annoying, I can't stress that any further....

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Its no good for extended typing I agree. Just to input web forms and pages (with android autocorrection) so its fine. Get a screen protector and smudges wont bother you much.

bxbomber, the web experience is amazing. Even connected by bt only, 600kbs or so, pages load super fast in full screen view. And links are so easily clickable.

e71 + archos 5 > streak IMO. Although I will prob end up buying the streak anyhow. Only thing is battery life on archos is not great, with about 3-4 hours of active browsing the rest of the battery will be out in 24 hours. Could be a power management issue that I will need to update firmware with. Oh, and the battery is not user replaceable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post

bxbomber, the web experience is amazing. Even connected by bt only, 600kbs or so, pages load super fast in full screen view. And links are so easily clickable.

e71 + archos 5 > streak IMO. Although I will prob end up buying the streak anyhow. Only thing is battery life on archos is not great, with about 3-4 hours of active browsing the rest of the battery will be out in 24 hours. Could be a power management issue that I will need to update firmware with. Oh, and the battery is not user replaceable.
the 3-4 hours of active browsing is fine with as i'll mostly be using it at home. i'll prob still wait for the dell streak to come out as it's a google experience so i'll have android market with out having to hack it.

that being said if it's to expensive i'll go with archos, at 250 for the 8 gig it's a price that can't be beat.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Sorry to chip in here but i have to say...I bought an Archos 605 wifi when it came out and i promise you this, I will never, ever, ever buy a product from that company again.
I am a bit of a gadget freak and have purchased many over the years but have never come across customer service as bad as from Archos.
They completley ignored several emails for assistance and charge you extra for codecs and other such things. If your PMP happens to break and you get a new one (out of guarantee) you have to pay again for the codecs!!
Have a look around some Archos forums for some customer support threads.
I feel that if a company can't be bothered with it's customer base, then I can't be bothered with them.

Obviously, it's up to you and i'm just speaking from personal experience but their attitude alienated me and many others. Never again Archos.

Dan

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-04-02 at 16:57.