Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
I mean those two "Dialer" and "Tuner" screenshots.
The Tuner screenshot was replaced by a shot of PyGTKEditor as was suggested. I don't know of a better image for DialCentral, and that app has definitely earned a spot in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Congrats on your conference visit Texrat. Glad it went well.

Due to low interest, along with discouraging communications from the Maemo team on the subject, I am suspending my community outreach work to focus on other needs. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback while I was developing materials and programs.

EDIT: added "my" to community outreach to make it clear I'm not speaking for anyone else.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-15 at 15:27.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Due to low interest, along with discouraging communications from the Maemo team on the subject, I am suspending my community outreach work to focus on other needs. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback while I was developing materials and programs.

EDIT: added "my" to community outreach to make it clear I'm not speaking for anyone else.
i feel your frustrations. There's been many a time when i've a work life and a small personal life that i just can't get the support i need to justify my efforts. I do however have a way to keep this going without strains on any indavidual. Gather a handful of people who are able and willing to put some time into it. and start off just making a presentation. FAQ, so on so forth. having the standerd presentation allows anyone to be a promoter and makes it easier for everyone to take part.
once the base presentation with general FAQ's and all is done comes phase 2, which would be co-ordinating people at local events and other things.

You have already done alot of the ground work and there only needs to be a few more bits and tweeks and the foundation is made. i'm not a programmer but i've always dabled in it a little with what i do in work, there's probably not alot i can offer at this time other then encouragement and some bits and pieces when i'm available.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
I've been working on presentation materials but can't seem to find the proper balance to make both maemo.org and Nokia Maemo happy. I'm only getting feedback from a few people who are very opinionated about the content, and there's a gap I can't figure out how to fill. I may just not be the right person for the effort.

Also the scope wasn't limited to programmers-- that's just where I was starting.

well i'm just leaving work now. i'll be home in about 30min/hour so i'll log back on and i can go over some of it with you. i'm in and out of meetings and doing user info sheets and all sorts. presentations etc so i'm sure i can help that way. send me a pm if you use msn or skype (msn preferably) and we can chat. i find it easier using IM then mails n stuff. quicker feedback.

edit:
or IRC channel if it's easier.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't see how you and I can resolve the issues Nokia brings up. The items they prefer to be removed strip the legitimacy from the materials. I knew trying to bridge community and corporate was not going to be easy, but this has gone way beyond "hard".

I just feel really demotivated right now... ironically, by lack of feedback from the community and "too much" from Nokia...

EDIT: I'll tell you what-- tonight I'll create a 100% community-focused flyer. Later if Maemo wants on board they know how to get ahold of me. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-15 at 18:03.

i think that was always going to be a hard one finding middle ground between nokia and the community. i think the timing for the community was bad with firmware updates on the horizon and then a million posts about everything firmware related and games etc. it's starting to settle down a little now so there will be more attention to other area's.

i felt the same way when i first started my job, i was the only person to both and give a **** about doing a good job and fixing the problems and making an effort. i got down hearted but there was a silver lining, not the one i was looking for but as the rolling stones put it. "you can't always get what you want. But you get what you need"
i suppose the community flyer should be good to help promote independent developing while i'd like to see what nokia wanted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Thanks again smeg, your thoughtful input has been a huge help for getting me thinking straight.

I think the biggest factor affecting things now is the significant change to the nature of the product. When it was an internate tablet, there was this cool geek thing going that had people truly hacking up solutions, like the work of folks like penguinbait and jolouis. Now the N900 is a phone, with a more refined and almost "don't hack me" aura, that it's got the old community here anxious. Newcomers have different wants and needs for the most part-- they just want built-in features refined or missing ones added by Nokia.

The legacy community needs to redefine its purpose...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The legacy community needs to redefine its purpose...
That's a scary thought... if I wanted another Android or iPhone I would have just keep with them . If the N900 loses it's openness before I get a chance to buy one I won't buy it.

As much as having Linux on my device would be cool.. it makes it pointless to be restricted in it's use. So I guess I'm one of those legacy scared of the new "phone" 'features'..

ETA: And BTW: that sucks that your projects isn't getting as much help as you need Tex.. I thought it was an excellent idea.. just don't have really I can provide for it at this time.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: