Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
What about spare batteries? At least, on the tablets, you can exchange the batteries. It's not like on the iPods and iPhone.
sadly, that needs to power down and back up. this takes time, and eats battery (sure, its a fresh one in there but still).

now if there was a way to hook a battery up so that the thing stayed working while popping the old out and the new in...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
sadly, that needs to power down and back up. this takes time, and eats battery (sure, its a fresh one in there but still).

now if there was a way to hook a battery up so that the thing stayed working while popping the old out and the new in...
Since it just needs the N series power specs you could use a external battery for the n series phones, or even a solar panel, or something. There are plenty threads on getting external batteries. No need to run your batteries all the way down - thats unhealthy anyways. Your much better off topping it off with a battery pack.

--> correct me if im wrong

The Following User Says Thank You to scumgrief For This Useful Post:
True. On my last holidays I was stranded in airports two times for 7 and 5 hours. N800 was life saver - FM-radio and FBreader. Didn't use wifi because it is energy - drain (relatively).

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
In my travel kit, I carry, one spare N800 battery, two PowerMonkey spare batteries (each supply about 20 hours running time), one 6V 300 mA solar panel, a box of adapters, a couple of AAA's and my Stowaway keyboard,and my world travel charger. I learned my lesson on a San Francisco to Tokyo flight and we got highjacked to Hong Kong. Arrived over a day late and my derriere was a hurtin' unit, but I mnever lost power!

The Following User Says Thank You to electrolind For This Useful Post:
I had a IOGEAR "gear juice" recharger for my Holux and my N800. Didn't have to use it but I could have recharged easily. This is a cool rechargeable battery device with various tips to recharge/power different devices. With the device came tips for my N800 and a usb tip that fits my Holux GPS. Costs $19 at buy.com right now. Recommended. On the plane, I used my Apple bluetooth keyboard and the N800 to write letters. Lots of looks.

The Following User Says Thank You to microfab For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by tso View Post

Yes, I am writing up battery...Part II, which include battery extender that let you run for 24 hrs. I am still waiting for some battery extender from dealextereme.com

bun

>>Didn't use wifi because it is energy - drain<<

I don't know if it is called stealing, but if you look around, you can find electric outlets in many airports. I have managed to recharge my n800 between flights several times in the past.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
>>Didn't use wifi because it is energy - drain<<

I don't know if it is called stealing, but if you look around, you can find electric outlets in many airports. I have managed to recharge my n800 between flights several times in the past.
No,that is NOT stealing, we are customers and we hire the airport facilities. Yes, I plug it in all the time in the airport. I always travel with an extension cord, most 'cheap' hotel never have enough plugs, an extension cord comes very handy. What I mean battery is during a 20 hrs flight to HK or 15 hr flight to Tokyo. For an average joe flying with economy, there is no outlets. I did come prepared and bought an airline adapter, but ........ we need to the tell the airline industries that an average joe has all the rights like Mr. Gates. Yah, right, give me a break.

bun

Hey electrolind,
Do you have the model no. for those PowerMonkeys? If you can really get 20 hours on each of them, I might be tempted to get one.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I just stayed 3 days in Amsterdam, playing a tournament and camping out.

As I was nowhere near a power outlet, I bought a TekCharge MP1550. It takes 4 AA batteries and has a usb-plug + various adapters for common phones/pda's. Must say it worked like a charm.
A fully depleted N800 got charged to 100% with 4 Sanyo eneloop rechargeable batteries - afterwards the same pack half-charged a nokia 6300 phone.

Drop in a new pack of batteries, and it's ready to go again (some of my fellow teammembers were happy to borrow the charger for their iphones).

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post: