Originally Posted by AsiQue View Post
Hey steckel
you were right, i was missing some libreries
but now i can't get the window manager to shutdown
if i close it menually (not via the script) kde runs fine
but when i don't close it...
i see both kde and hildon together....
its nice but useless....
AM I SPEAKING TO MYSELF? Matchbox window manager WILL NOT STOP UNLESS YOU HAVE DEFAULT "Adria" theme SETUP, OR IF YOU CHANGE THE STOP MAEMO SCRIPT TO USE THE CORRECT THEME, AS SHOWN EARLIER IN THIS POST?

MUST USE DEFAULT THEME OR UPDATE STOPMAEMO SCRIPT

Sorry for shouting

Well as penguinbait just mentiod i changed the script...
and kde is running!!
:-)
ohh it's beutiful.... although a little choppy with sounds...
tnx guys... many thanks!
but now i have another problam... wheni open an app like konqueror or anything else
i see the top of an hildon window and below it i see the app...
any1 know why?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by AsiQue View Post
Well as penguinbait just mentiod i changed the script...
and kde is running!!
:-)
ohh it's beutiful.... although a little choppy with sounds...
tnx guys... many thanks!
but now i have another problam... wheni open an app like konqueror or anything else
i see the top of an hildon window and below it i see the app...
any1 know why?

It sounds like matchbox, not sure what you mean, can you post a sreen shot?

Questions about the size of the KDE bundle (since I've only got 1gb MMC cards...):

Why does the KDE bundle include samba, swat, etc? Why include these?
Why include cups, etc?

More so,

Why include all of the .h files? Why include all of the man files?
Why include all of the icons like the mono svg ones?

If all of that cruft was removed, I suspect it wouldn't be 750 megs unpacked...

I tried using 2 mmc cards, formatting the second one for ext2, and putting /usr/local on it, but it doesn't seem to boot then... no matter what I tried.

Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Questions about the size of the KDE bundle (since I've only got 1gb MMC cards...):

Why does the KDE bundle include samba, swat, etc? Why include these?
Why include cups, etc?

More so,

Why include all of the .h files? Why include all of the man files?
Why include all of the icons like the mono svg ones?

If all of that cruft was removed, I suspect it wouldn't be 750 megs unpacked...

I tried using 2 mmc cards, formatting the second one for ext2, and putting /usr/local on it, but it doesn't seem to boot then... no matter what I tried.

Sorry scruffy, I am not a developer and I included what I wanted, I wanted printing, so ghostscript and cups and samba are all there. The headers, well the headers were included so others could compile against them if they wanted.

So if you want them removed, why dont you remove them and repackage this for others? I did this in March on a n800 to prove that it could work, this was by no means a replacement for maemo, and I never tested on a 770, that it worked there was just a bonus.

So why, because, thats why

feel free to compile KDE they way you like it and distribute it, maybe I will give it a whirl

So why, because, thats why
Completely understand... no offense meant. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important when I stripped it all out....

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Hello Penguinbait, do you think it's possible to compile the koffice applications, i.e. kword, kspread, kpresenter etc. ?

Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Completely understand... no offense meant. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important when I stripped it all out....
Well the samba is very useful for browsing networks with konq, but cups, ghostscript man pages, can be all ripped out

Printing does not work with the KDE tarball, currently

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Hello Penguinbait, do you think it's possible to compile the koffice applications, i.e. kword, kspread, kpresenter etc. ?
Well I absolutely think its possible. However it is beyond me, kdepim is not even in there because I could only get so far, I tried to compile koffice apps, to no avail.

What we need is a REAL effort on the part of the Nokia/maemo/hackers to produce a full KDE suite for maemo. I think this is completely possible, but I know of nobody doing this. I do not have any conversations with developers, so maybe someone is working on this? Not sure, I did this, it is what it is, I am not trying to update KDE on maemo at this point.

I really want to see a environment not based on matchbox.

okey, I tried searching but I do not find any useful info. So I am asking again here.

If I installed around a GB worth of KDE (where meamo is less than 200MB) what advantages do i get? and what about the performance? If you do not want to write whole story, please give me some links where I can get some idea.

Thanks in advance.