Notices

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I have suggestion a bit outside of what this app has, but I think it would be cool.

I was thinking about a cross between VNC and IRRECO. A mode of VNC client where, when checked, it will no longer display video of remote host (thus lowering CPU load) but instead show some custom buttons.

It would basically work like a wireless keyboard. The screen would be an extenstion of the actual hardware keyboard. Alt, win, F keys. This would work fine as a remote control for HTPCs and the like, as well as a keyboard for keyboardless POIs and the like.

I assume the load would be minimal for N900.

Any "me too"s or am I the only one?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Hello!

First of all thanks to the community for this awesome software!

My problem:

I have two Netbooks at home and I would like to have access to both of them. So far I managed to have connection to one of them, the other simply does not want to work.

- DynDns is active on my FritzBox 7170
- portforwarding is active: 5900 is routed to Netbook A and 5901 is routed to Netbook B
- RealVNC Server is running on both systems, also the configuration is made. RealVNC Server on Netbook A listens to Port 5900 and RealVNC Server on Netbook B listens to Port 5901.

- connection to "xyz.dyndns.org" works for Netbook A
- connection to "xyz.dyndns.org:5900" also works for Netbook A
- connection to "xyz.dyndns.org:5901" does not work for Netbook B

Does someone have an idea?

greetz

redhotfoo

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Go to laptop B and telnet localhost 5901, make sure port is open. If it is, make sure it's bound to the interface with the outgoing IP (ideally, VNC to it from inside the network). If yes, you have a port forwarding problem.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

also worth double checking your netbook B's local firewall (if you have one enabled) - you may only have granted an exception to presenceVNC on the default port rather than 5901?

Also, how are you testing - are you VNC'ing into your LAN from a device on the net, or from another machine on your local LAN? I guess you are using your phone as a client? If so, install VNC client as well as server on the netbooks and try testing from A->B and vice versa to rule out any issue with the client setup on the phone and/or any WAN or ISP related issues (like the ISP blocking ports etc.).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Go to laptop B and telnet localhost 5901, make sure port is open. If it is, make sure it's bound to the interface with the outgoing IP (ideally, VNC to it from inside the network). If yes, you have a port forwarding problem.
I opened cmd in Netbook B and typed "telnet localhost 5901" -> I think a connection could be established (RFB 003.008)

Then I tried to connect with internal IP of Netbook B (found out by typing ipconfig), but 192.168.178.22 did not work.

For Netbook A 192.168.178.20 works as usual.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
also worth double checking your netbook B's local firewall (if you have one enabled) - you may only have granted an exception to presenceVNC on the default port rather than 5901?
Yieeehaaaaa! I got it now. Windows Firewall was blocking Port 5901. I made an exemption for this port and it works now!

Thanks for your help!!!

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Is PresenceVNC not avaiable anymore or did i leave somthing set wrong?

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Is PresenceVNC not avaiable anymore or did i leave somthing set wrong?
If it doesn't show up in application manager you probably disabled the maemo-extras repository. The download link on
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/presencevnc/#
should work anyway.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I just found out it is installed, i must have overlooked some details on the stuff i've marked to install and it was there under a different name or somthing; i could swear i had not seen it when i was going thru the packages list marking things to install...

firstly. thks u for the awesome app!

just one question. . when ever my pc is locked . i mean windows plus l . . lock. . it cant unlock the pc. . it seems the pc must me unlocked to allow a remote session. . is there ny way to unlock the pc n use it?

like on rdesktop?

also hw do u do a file transfer?

thks in advance!

Last edited by dattadude; 2011-08-03 at 07:43.