Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by joenix View Post
Following a discussion on Michael Lauer's blog, I've been having a look at the list of closed packages in the nokia-binaries repository and the N900 kernel source code.

The conclusion I've come to is that you need closed source binaries for at least the radio transmitter (fmtx-middleware), OpenGLES acceleration (libgles2), Nokia’s proprietary GUI/calendar/location/... components, GPS (location-daemon) and battery charging (libbmeipc0). All the rest of the hardware seems to have open source drivers in the kernel (although I'm not 100% sure of this).
If I am wrong on any of this, please correct me.
Sounds approximately correct. The Media Player UI is also proprietary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freekyfrogy View Post
I had a total nerdgasm when I saw the picture on that site... After the hassle of rooting two G1's, to have that out of the box would be incredible! I am DEFINITELY upgrading to this when the end of my contract comes around... When's the expected release date?
Welcome freekyfrog. I think theopen nature of the N900 is one opf the best things going for it - not discounting the fact that Maemo 5 by itself is very slick and sexy to look at - so you don't just have to sell openness to your friends (who in all probability don't understand that concept on cell phones as yet).

The expected release date is by October in some select markets.
Expect to start seeing it globally by October end - November for sure.
At least it can be part of your holiday shopping.

And contract or no contract - think about going Unlocked for the N900.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by joenix View Post
Nokia’s proprietary GUI/calendar/location/... components...
Exist there a more precise list of these proprietary components?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Yes, but it's in the closed nokia-binaries repository, for which you need a authentication token.

Get it here by accepting the EULA and then go to:

http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/<YOUR TOKEN HERE>/nokia-binaries/binary-armel/Packages.gz

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joenix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Thank you.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
@Nilchak

Yeah, it's frustrating trying to explain the meaning of "root" to non-penguins. But yeah, I'm glad I'm still on T-Mobile, and it's a good thing my contract is up in February (upgrade time!). It's so hard to express my excitement towards this device in a logical manner on this forum, I just want to be all like, "WAWAWAWAWA~!!!!!!OMGOMG!!!ICAN'TWAITOMGITWILLBESO EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!"... but I can't without getting a gtfo from everyone here. Also, I'm so glad they chose to stay with a resistive screen O_O Capacitive is awesome and all that, but for an actual computer (unlike iphone :P) you need more control (Hello, GIMP!). Sorry if I'm ranting, I'm just exited. =)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Just let us push a Summit, a final release and a sales start and we will work in this list in more detail. There are even some pending relicensings and contributions of features to upstream projects in the pipeline. But we want to get this Maemo 5 in the hands of happy users first, and actually you want this too.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: