I'm sure this has been said 100x before on this site and all over the 'net, but I'll say it again because, like advertising, sometimes repetition is the key to getting heard.

I love the N900. I can't wait to get one. In fact, our household will probably get 3 of them.

But we aren't going to get one while there is so much uncertainty surrounding the N900 software. Maemo 5 updates ? Maemo 6 ? Meego ? Who knows ?

And that is the problem. Who does know ?

I'm sure someone at Nokia knows what is going on with the N900 software. But until that is CLEARLY communicated to the community and we see support and an upgrade path for the N900, I have no choice but to consider it a pre production idea (experiment ?) that somehow made it to production, which will soon be abandoned.

Should you want to move the N900 ship forward, I recommend some very clear communication plus a large, large dose of community involvement in a truly open source development effort. If you want an example of how this should work, look no further than Fedora.

Until then, I, and others, will remain firmly planted on the sidelines.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I'm sure this has been said 100x before on this site and all over the 'net, but I'll say it again because, like advertising, sometimes repetition is the key to getting heard.
So you think that the users of this community hasn't heard it enough?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Strutten For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
So basically what you say is: "Hey mister Nokia - my new thread is nothing like all the other threads about this specific matter, because this one is made by ME!"...?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Maryland, USA
I wish there was a way to deduct thanks for every useless and redundant thread that is created.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to osomanos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by osomanos View Post
I wish there was a way to deduct thanks for every useless and redundant thread that is created.
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
So basically what you say is: "Hey mister Nokia - my new thread is nothing like all the other threads about this specific matter, because this one is made by ME!"...?
Originally Posted by Strutten View Post
So you think that the users of this community hasn't heard it enough?
Guys instead of whining about posts that other persons do, maybe you should be glad that these posts give visibility to us. If you don't think that Nokia people check this forums, you're wrong.
And seeing the number of posts you got, I deduct that you don't come here so often so that guy's post shouldn't irritate you, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtessier00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
As has been said here and elsewhere before probably 100x...

Nokia people have publicly stated in several ways that the N900 and its owners will not be forgotten. Significant updates and improvements are definitely on the way. But whether these are improvements to Maemo 5 or a full upgrade to Maemo 6/MeeGo has not been determined.

However, whether or not the N900 stays on Maemo 5 or gets a 'full' OS upgrade is not the important thing. From an end user point of view, what really matters is that the N900/Maemo 5 gets upgraded to Qt 4.6, which WILL happen soon, maybe even in the next few days. That ensures basic compatibility with apps for MeeGo, Symbian, etc - anything written from now on with Qt 4.6. And that compatibility ensures the N900 of much more software to come and a long, productive life.

So if the N900 suits your needs, get one and enjoy it.

Much more info regarding upgrades here: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
So if the N900 suits your needs, get one and enjoy it.
+1
If N900 meets your needs - buy it.
If it does not - don't buy it.

As simple as this. There is no point in whining and writing pointless ultimatums on forums.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
From an end user point of view, what really matters is that the N900/Maemo 5 gets upgraded to Qt 4.6, which WILL happen soon, maybe even in the next few days.
I've been hearing the Maemo 5 update promise since before Christmas. That is the sort of thing I am talking about.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'll bet they've been working on it since even before you heard about it. They haven't told you when you'll get it, just that you will.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
We live in a fuzzy world, surrounded by uncertainty. The only way to avoid that is to not do anything. Just buy your N900 and appreciate it and adjust to whatever happens, or don't buy it and forget it.

Nokia does things the way Nokia does things. We don't always like it, but they have come up with some cool technology. You should just accept the situation and go forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
these tags are, way more interesting