Closed Thread
To Qole,

Re the problems I have been reporting with xvbkd -- the keyboard goes in *auto-repeat* mode soon as you hit any key.

It seems related to the "Automatic Click" option. Turning that off in xvbkd's Property panel restored my keyboard to normal. The option is defined as,

"Automatic Click: Set on/off of the automatic click feature and the delay before automatic click is activated. If this feature is set, xvkbd will work as if left mouse button is clicked when mouse pointer is moved on a button and stays long enough. You may want to set Jump Pointer? to OFF to avoid auto-repeating."

Toggling the "Jump Pointer?" on and off did not help... were you not having these problems?

As explained in,

http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/

xvbkd's resources may be re-configured in several ways... one of them is via ~/.Xdefaults. This may be handy to those wishing to make some adjustments to xvbkd's appearance and behavior. Turns out that this v3.0 of xvbkd supports many international keyboard layouts and that is very useful.

If using ~/.Xdefaults to set options for xvkbd keep in mind that it will also affect the Hildon version of xvkbd, if installed.

I also want to ask you if the "/etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs" hack is needed by your latest version of the chroot scripts. When opening any of its configuration panels on the Hildon version of vxbkd, upon closing the panels the keyboard window jumps to the upper-let corner... and since hildon windows can't be dragged, the only recorse is to restart vxbkd.

-- Denis

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
It seems related to the "Automatic Click" option. Turning that off in xvbkd's Property panel restored my keyboard to normal.
I can probably set that in the command string of xvkbd in LXDE. To be honest, xvkbd drives me nuts (if it isn't one thing, it's another); I like matchbox-keyboard much better.

I also want to ask you if the "/etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs" hack is needed by your latest version of the chroot scripts. When opening any of its configuration panels on the Hildon version of vxbkd, upon closing the panels the keyboard window jumps to the upper-let corner... and since hildon windows can't be dragged, the only recorse is to restart vxbkd.
I don't understand... the whole point of the hack is to make those kind of windows draggable. The dialogue windows that jump to the upper-left / lower-right corners should be draggable by pressing and holding on the edge of the window.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hi Brent,

Just want to point out that none of the programs you've mentioned (except RoxTerm) come default with Easy Debian. So the warranty doesn't apply to them

However, I'm curious about the dbus issues you're having, since I thought I'd fixed the dbus problems in the latest scripts. The strange thing is that I'm running Midori with absolutely no problems with these scripts. Midori has to be the fastest stable browser on the tablet at the moment. It has some issues with Java, so I have to uninstall the Java plugin, but that's not a big deal since Java's so slow on the tablet anyway. After that it runs like a greased pig with a butcher in pursuit.

When programs in the chroot complain about stuff not connecting, especially when running as non-root, it usually is because of permissions. Does your Debian install have the correct "user" account, and have you checked the permissions in the /home/user/.config directory (and any other config files)? You might need to run this as root:

Code:
chown -R user:users /home/user
My permissions in /home/user/ seemed to be ok, but I ran the chown command anyway... Hallelujah! Everything works Those permissions must've been messed up from my last Debian install, and since /home/user/ is mounted on /debian/home/user/ that problem would transcend installs. Thanks!

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

I can probably set that in the command string of xvkbd in LXDE. To be honest, xvkbd drives me nuts (if it isn't one thing, it's another); I like matchbox-keyboard much better.
xvkbd is the biggest pain. Yesterday, I (tried) to write a script that would launch xvkbd if it wasn't open and move it down to the bottom-right of the screen, but if it was open call toggle,above via wmctrl. So I could map that script to a button, so it would effectively toggle xvkbd if it was open, and open it to the right spot if it wasn't.

One problem: wmctrl cannot Control xvkbd It just doesn't work.

BTW, if it weren't for the fact kvkbd were a KDE app, I'd use it as my OSK. Much better than xvkbd...just requires KDE's zillion RAM-hogging processes be open too...

Last edited by BrentDC; 2008-09-28 at 15:44.

I don't understand... the whole point of the hack is to make those kind of windows draggable. The dialogue windows that jump to the upper-left / lower-right corners should be draggable by pressing and holding on the edge of the window.
That window just doesn't drag... same as the matchbox kbd window when launched on the Hildon Desktop.

-- Denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
BTW, if it weren't for the fact kvkbd were a KDE app, I'd use it as my OSK. Much better than xvkbd...just requires KDE's zillion RAM-hogging processes be open too...
Yes, I agree. I considered the KDE keyboard too, but rejected it for the same reason. But if someone installs Debian KDE anyway, I'd recommend the KDE keyboard for them...

Here we go again...

New beta version with powerlaunch replacement!

This version has a menu icon (Extras / Set Debian HW keys) that should make it possible to fullscreen Debian apps with the fullscreen key, and pressing the minus key followed by the menu key will make the matchbox keyboard toggle on and off.

I use xbindkeys to do this, and my initial tests suggest that the keys continue to work properly for their originally intended purpose unless you press them in the right order (minus, menu = keyboard). The only problem I've found is that I have to press the minus key twice sometimes to get it to zoom out, but that's ok.

If anyone can suggest a better key combination for the popup keyboard (keys have to be available on the N800, since they're the ones who really need it) please do! You can try out different combinations by editing /home/user/.xbindkeys.scm and changing the keys using these codes.

Anyway, here's the new version:

easy-deb-chroot-0.9-8

Users of the 0.9 series should just be able to upgrade directly, users of the 0.6 package or below will need to follow the instructions in my post above.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-18 at 05:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Here we go again...

Are you giving for good up on Powerlaunch -- is Bindkeys definitely superior?

-- Denis

Here we go again...

This version has a menu icon (Extras / Set Debian HW keys) that should make it possible to fullscreen Debian apps with the fullscreen key, and pressing the minus key followed by the menu key will make the matchbox keyboard toggle on and off.

I use xbindkeys to do this, and my initial tests suggest that the keys work properly for their intended purpose unless you press them in the right order. The only problem I've found is that I have to press the minus key twice sometimes to get it to zoom out, but that's ok.

If anyone can suggest a better key combination for the popup keyboard (keys have to be available on the N800, since they're the ones who really need it) please do! You can try out different combinations by editing /home/user/.xbindkeys.scm and changing the keys using these codes.

Anyway, here's the new version:

easy-deb-chroot-0.9-8

Users of the 0.9 series should just be able to upgrade directly, users of the 0.6 package or below will need to follow the instructions in my post above.
FYI, I just edited ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and configured my keyboard shortcuts there.

Fullscreen key = fullscreen
Minus = Move Window (yes, even above the screen)
Escape = Close Application
Menu = Toggle Right Click on/off (for QT/KDE mostly)

etc.

That works well for me. Granted, this doesn't work in Hildon WM (Matchbox), but I always run Debian apps in LXDE anyway...

Are you giving for good up on Powerlaunch -- is Bindkeys definitely superior?
Well, I'm still including the powerlaunch config as part of the Easy Debian package, but bindkeys doesn't break the alarms and it is already included in the Debian package you download -- it doesn't require an outside package. That's always an advantage for me.

If the alarms problem gets fixed, I'll start promoting powerlaunch again.

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Granted, this doesn't work in Hildon WM (Matchbox), but I always run Debian apps in LXDE anyway...
This bindkeys hack is specifically designed for those of us who run Debian apps right in the Hildon WM.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-29 at 00:56.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete