Notices

For those lucky people, like me, who have an account with Google Voice and a 3G phone, now you can make phone call on your N8*0 just like a cell phone. If you don't have an account with Google Voice, sorry you just have to wait until it goes public.

First thanks Epage for the great DialCentral program(if you don't know what it is, please search).

All of us who use DialCentral before should know how to setup Grandcentral with Gizmo and use Gizmo client to answer phone call on our ITs.

Before we had to use Gizmo on our ITs to answer phone call because we had to press #1 on the dialpad to answer call.

Now after upgrading to Google Voice, you can turn off that function called Call Presentation at the settings and the call will go throught directly . So now we can use the default Internet Call Program on our ITs to answer phone call.

Just open Internet Call on our ITs, add a new account with Sip with user name <your_sip_number_with _Gizmo>@proxy01.sipphone.com, password <your Gizmo account password>. , check "Enabled" and make it automatically on whenever you connect to the internet.

Now when people call your Google Voice number, your ITs will ring just like a phone and you can answer the call with the default Internet Call Program, without opening Gizmo.

To make phone call, just use DialCental to dial the numbers and use the default program to talk, no need to open Gimzo neither.
I just tried this method on Wifi and even with my tethered 3G phone, and the result was great.

So now, I can make phone call on my N8*0 without using my phone plan minutes anymore and also can call any US numbers for free and answer call when I am oversea as long as I have Wifi connection on my IT, yeah.

Last edited by racky; 2009-05-10 at 08:41.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thanks for the interesting info.

Sorry to be a nay sayer. Yes, you can use N8x0 to dial out, it works fine. No, to wait on incoming calls, you would have to leave it on ALL THE TIME, and that means to plug it in. I guess to continuous plug in with several battery packs on a couple of days for emergency situations, maybe.

bun

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Good to know.

Do you mean this >> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/dialcentral/

and if so, it states on that page...
Originally Posted by webpage
THIS WILL NO LONGER WORK WHEN YOU UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT TO GOOGLE VOICE
If this not what you are using. You may want to edit your post to include a link to clear up any confusion.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Dial central works with google voice, I was using it yesterday.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

Sorry to be a nay sayer. Yes, you can use N8x0 to dial out, it works fine. No, to wait on incoming calls, you would have to leave it on ALL THE TIME, and that means to plug it in. I guess to continuous plug in with several battery packs on a couple of days for emergency situations, maybe.

bun
I don't understand this, I leave my N810 on all the time with the default SIP client registered to Sipphone. I get about 2 days standby out of it with my standard usage patterns. Do you turn off your N810 when you are not using it?

Last edited by mobiledivide; 2009-05-10 at 15:43.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Good to know.

Do you mean this >> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/dialcentral/

and if so, it states on that page...

If this not what you are using. You may want to edit your post to include a link to clear up any confusion.
Yes, this is the program, it is working fine with Google Voice now. Just search.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia

bun
Well, I leave it on all the time, so as long as I have Internet, it is a phone. Google Voice can ring multiple phones, so if the tablet is not connected, it rings my home and cell.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

bun
The default SIP client uses very little power compare to the Gizmo client. I haven't tried to see how long the battery will last with just the default SIP client on, but it should be about the same amount of time as you leave your ITs on with WIFI connection. I got about 2 days. It really depends on how you use your ITs. I have 2 extra batteries and a charge cable in my car, so charging my IT is never a problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
.... Do you turn off your N810 when you are not using it?
no, i mean contimous wifi connection. my comfusion in previous post. so, if continous wifi is not there, it wont catch calls. yes, i DO turn off wifi and BT when i done surf, not the tablet.
bun

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Well, I leave it on all the time, so as long as I have Internet, it is a phone. Google Voice can ring multiple phones, so if the tablet is not connected, it rings my home and cell.
in this way, i agree, you may 'consider' to use like a phone.

bun

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The next NIT with 3G modem will really be able to be used as a phone. No need for WiFi hotspots.

I went to SoCal for a conference/competition, and made all my calls via N810 and free hotel WiFi. It worked flawlessly, though I had to use the web interface for Google Voice.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice