Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Worksforme and probably to many other users.

I would very very veeery careful when making any generalizations about bugs that I find from my N900. Just because if I did found bug from my n900 and straight forward jump from there making long rant about it and other stuff that is on my mind (reminds me of readers opinions section in local newspaper, I got mostly huge laugh of them because they are so bad) I would at least my self be ashamed if it didnīt hold and was only half true. So first I would try to find if there are others having this bug and do they have this bug in clean device.

Actually I have seen these cases so many. What it is that if you have problem with quite expensive device X and it doensīt work as you expect it to work then some people tend to go totally f-ckwad. I think that to go that level of pure anger needs at least 5 iterations of discussion and reading manuals and doing bug reports and after that you should let the pressure valve open.

e.g. I could take many rants more seriously if they had at least links to bugzilla or proper description of bug and how to reproduce them. Currently Iīm seeing some rants that I find absurd because things people rant (and tend to think that all have that problem) about work on my device.
I was being sarcastic that time, actually... But I love that you provided more fodder. Truth be told, I don't mind people complaining about the bugs at all--not even minding the ranting, so long as they at least provide specific details and suggest how it should work or, better still, a solution.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
If I format my MyDocs with ext3 and my home with fat what will be happen? do the default apps like camera, internet, telephone etc. will work? i need this because i use bittorrent a lot.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
If I format my MyDocs with ext3 and my home with fat what will be happen? do the default apps like camera, internet, telephone etc. will work? i need this because i use bittorrent a lot.
What does using BitTorrent have to do with whether you're using ext3 or FAT?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Im really disappointed to N900 and Nokias support for it

The Following User Says Thank You to salazar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ staffordshire, uk
Originally Posted by salazar View Post
Im really disappointed to N900 and Nokias support for it
surely this is a good thing though? now everyone can have free roam of muckin about with it

Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post
I'm online during the working day with 5 iM services, all using the standard Conversations application on the N900 (with the MSN plugin). I've had no trouble making.receiving calls while this is happening.
So the fact that the screen blanks out for several seconds on an incoming call while it switches orientation is not a problem for you?

I never have the N900 as my main mobile these days - got fed up of calling people back with 'yeah sorry I missed your call'.

The way IM is handled is awesome though.

Last edited by punto; 2010-12-21 at 00:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to punto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by punto View Post
So the fact that the screen blanks out for several seconds on an incoming call while it switches orientation is not a problem for you?
No, it's not. I have yet to miss a call due to transitions. And that was even before PR1.3 when the IO lag wasn't fixed.

And can we kill this topic, it's old, moldy, and just plain trollbait.

Personally, I'm convinced that at least -half- the complaints and issues are probably due to a failing/poor sample chip(or other bit of hardware) that works right enough of the time to keep things running - Just like what happens when you OC the device with slightly too little voltage(most things will work, but odd crashes will happen).
Remember also that -technically- the N900's factory OC'd at 600mhz(or at least I heard that somewhere).

The problem is, the OS won't crash most of the time(It's Linux. It's resilient), and as such the users think it's a software problem.
This is why you can have two users, both with the -exact same- software, and one will have constant problems while the other won't.

For example, I've got a good sample, and while I've got it OC'd to 950mhz, I have had -zero- crashes in the last month or so. It's rock-stable, works great, and I have no problems with it. But, that was only -after- I tweaked the voltage; with a "stock" profile it would be unstable at a lot lower than that!
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
I used the steps from here to get the MyDocs to be ext3 and the Camera still work.

It's quite a bit of a work but is doable.

I'm not sure why in the world you want your /home to be FAT? That's just bass-ackwards..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-12-21 at 07:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I used the steps from here to get the MyDocs to be ext3 and the Camera still work.

It's quite a bit of a work but is doable.

I'm not sure why in the world you want your /home to be FAT? That's just bass-ackwards..
Thank you for your reply. I'm an absolute noob, I went for solution #1 swapping home - MyDocs. I was thinking about the camera and other apps if they needed a fat partition. Also I want to know if you use bittorrent and if is more stable with ext3?

Link: http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning_the_flash

P.S: I have read it - it seems a bit complicated. A download would be nice! Also swapping home with MyDocs that you can keep a widely compatible ( not only Linux ) USB - massstorage device. That's what it makes so interesting. Also I want to know how is the keyboard layout for the n900. I'm really needing for the pipe-sign, the lesser and the greater sign. Any idea?

Also I need some tester for my performance tweaks:
http://n900-tune-up.sourceforge.net

It tweaks certain kernel parameters, installs a simple firewall and a traffic-shapping script. Also it is throwing some errors and its speed not as good as wondershaper I believe it could be useful. I have ported it from my Linksys WAG54 device - the script is running very stable on this device. Its uptime now is about 100 days and I have about monthly 50 GB download and 150 GB upload.

Last edited by epitaph; 2010-12-21 at 11:05.

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever