I'm still using my Canon Powershot s70, if they can cram in phone hardware into something as good as that, I'd buy one.

I think if people want good quality cameras on their phones, the camera manufacturers need to get in on the act and manufacture digital compacts with phone functionality.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Can and will are two different things. There are a lot of corners cut in phone cameras to bring them down to a mass market price. "Progress" in these materials and processes is in reducing costs. For example, antireflection coatings that can withstand the high temperatures used to bond the multiple layers of lens wafers onto the sensor, thus reducing the complexity of the assembly process. If, as a side effect, it makes the optics slightly better, that's just a happy coincidence.

So to think that the latest technology in quality optics and sensors will go into a phone camera is silly. It's possible to create really excellent cameras that size... but not in a $600 pocket computer.

If you like an analogy, look at automobiles. There's been a steady increase of about 3% (IIRC) efficiency every year for decades. Does that translate into better mileage? No, generally not...the market has been driven by talk of HP, 0-to-60, hauling a ton of stuff up a hill, and other such testosterone-induced nonsense. So, the improvements in technology don't go into improved fuel economy--they go into more powerful engines, "more headroom" and more gadgets.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-22 at 13:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
There's obviously no way a camera phone could take pictures comparable to what a Canon 7D can. Nokia phones will however have older SLR quality cameras by 2011. The pictures my old N82 and the N900 take are comparable to the quality of my 5MP SLR from 5years ago. Nokia is already the biggest producer of cameras on the planet.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I changed the title after a request by one reader. I'm also skeptical of SLR quality being achieved by cell phone cameras.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by znihello View Post
What if they would use more then one sensor and lens? A cluster of crappy cameras, and then compute a good result?
The result might be good photoshopping, but not good photography.

Kodak moment vs. Good photograph.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-04-22 at 14:31.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by james174 View Post
Yes, well done, the source of the article I linked.

You've changed your tune quite alot through this thread, first it was
"topic is incorrect. that has never been said except by you. get the facts"
& then
"as stated above those claims have never been made by Vanjoki."
& then
"it states that Vanjoki has been interviewed by reuters. false
source straight from the article
:"
(Take it up with the guy that made the report, I didnt write it)
and lastly....

Who gives a S**T!!! whether it was an interview, a meeting, a conference, a social gathering, a speech, or a fricking staff xmas party, Vanjoki made a statement, and thats that!

I posted a thread, you blasted it as lies all over it, I gave a source, and now all of a sudden your agreeing with it. The fact remains YOU said I made it all up to start with. I dont appreciate being called a liar and put down in a forum. But now it seems the tables have turned, and guess whos looking stupid now?

Talk about being pedantic with the incorrect use of a word.

And by the way Vanjoki also said "high-definition (HD) quality video recording was also coming to cellphones within the next 12 months."
You gonna get picky between the incorrect usage of SLR and HD now?
I became picky because you don't seem to know how to read the source article.

e: and you didn't read backgrounds I dug here, etc...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-04-22 at 18:37.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
There's obviously no way a camera phone could take pictures comparable to what a Canon 7D can. Nokia phones will however have older SLR quality cameras by 2011. The pictures my old N82 and the N900 take are comparable to the quality of my 5MP SLR from 5years ago. Nokia is already the biggest producer of cameras on the planet.
are you serious?!? that is a big load of ********.

you really think cellphone cameras could compete with this:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...-one/slideshow

spoiler: no way. look at the amount of details in this picture:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...ew-samples-one
(you can click it to full size. the full size links expire so I can't link those straight)

that dslr has been made 10 years ago and it outperforms every single smaller format camera without a problem. Even 10 years from now the situation is the same. It is all about the sensor size (plus optics in front of it)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yup I had that camera. It's Canon's very first DSLR. D30's 3MP output was compared to Provia 100F slide back at that time and it actually was able to match it even when blown up when coupled with good interpolation.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
are you serious?!? that is a big load of ********.

you really think cellphone cameras could compete with this:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...-one/slideshow

spoiler: no way. look at the amount of details in this picture:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...ew-samples-one
(you can click it to full size. the full size links expire so I can't link those straight)

that dslr has been made 10 years ago and it outperforms every single smaller format camera without a problem. Even 10 years from now the situation is the same. It is all about the sensor size (plus optics in front of it)
I clearly stated "There's obviously no way a camera phone could take pictures comparable to what a Canon 7D can"

My personal experience is that my 5 year old SLR which was not top of the range as the images in your example are, took pictures comparable to my N82 and N900 cameras. This is my experience!

I have a 2MP DSLR pic taken of me from 10 years ago that I can assure you is no bigger than 500pixels wide in reality. It comes down to lense size and light quality in the end.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
I would like to see oldschool film camera on nokia pohone. That would surely sharpen up the images