Notices

I also wuv MAME ^-^!

Flandry, MAME will never lack for fans!!! It's an all-time classic, the granddaddy of emu's. The kiddies will always chase after fashion. We're here for the long haul for you, man.

I just want to confirm, accelymote needs to be started prior to opening MAME to enable accelerometer control-ability, yes?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
Flandry, MAME will never lack for fans!!! It's an all-time classic, the granddaddy of emu's. The kiddies will always chase after fashion. We're here for the long haul for you, man.

I just want to confirm, accelymote needs to be started prior to opening MAME to enable accelerometer control-ability, yes?
If you have updated to the latest version, yes, due to a change in accelemymote. With the next release of MAME it will go back to its automatic startup with the same mechanism to shut it down (turn phone upside-down soon after starting).

Good to know people are still enjoying MAME.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Can someone with their N900 overclocked at around 700 mhz run R-type on Mame and let me know what fps it runs at?

The reason i ask is that R-type on mame4all on my GP2X Wiz o/c'd at 700mhz runs at 100% and R-type on my N900 at standard clock speed runs at 84% after a stuttering start. i was just wandering what performance it will run at o/c'd (i am thinking of o/c my n900 only slightly nothing too high)
Hmm might just be you and me left in MAMEland, Bazza. Everyone else moved on to the flashy console emus.

I finally found a working version of R-type and get 86% after the slow start you mention, and i've got an 805MHz clock. Something besides CPU speed is the limiting factor (or my N900 needs a reboot, which isn't unlikely). Memory bandwidth, i suspect...

Seems very playable at 86% with the default frameskip, though.
I do not think it is a bandwidth issue, since some very complex and graphic busy shooters play very well, while simple games like Galaga 88 play very slow. My 900 is clocked at 800mhz.

Does the new MAME version work fine with 1.1? I never upgraded to 1.2, since I only use my 900 for media and MAME. I do not want to go through the hastle of updating, since the OC kernel I use is one of the earlier ones and probably not update friendly. I do not want to risk hosing the device, since works fine for what I use it for.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I do not think it is a bandwidth issue, since some very complex and graphic busy shooters play very well, while simple games like Galaga 88 play very slow. My 900 is clocked at 800mhz.
We're talking about a specific ROM though, not a general constraint. If you increase processor speed by 33% and get a ~2% increase in speed, what do you conclude? Well, that it's not CPU bound.

It turns out that memory bandwidth is one of the biggest limitations to graphical game performance on N900 because there's no dedicated VRAM. The actual limitation here could of course be something else entirely.

It's the performance of emulating processors that are running code in ROM that is the limiting factor, not the performance of running the game code itself. Some really simple games may use really complex processors or weird techniques that worked great on original hardware.

Does the new MAME version work fine with 1.1? I never upgraded to 1.2, since I only use my 900 for media and MAME. I do not want to go through the hastle of updating, since the OC kernel I use is one of the earlier ones and probably not update friendly. I do not want to risk hosing the device, since works fine for what I use it for.
The kernel power kernel is compatible with PR1.2, and seems to be working well for many. If you really don't want to update then i guess you'll have to test it--I have no way of doing so. There's no Qt in it so i'd expect it to work okay, but i don't know if any of the other libraries linked to were changed in the update.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Ireland
Hi, i Started this, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...874#post765874

unaware that mame was on the 900 already!

Just wondering what the current state of it is, Ultimately I was looking to play Super Street Fighter II turbo, Is this a realistic prospect, or simply out of the phones capabilities?

Regarding arcade sticks connecting via usb, is that feasible out completely outlandish?

Sorry not tried these, not a big fan of the street fighter series, i will have a look for you though.

Does it have to be sf 2 turbo or any of the series?

Are you asking specifically to use an arcade stick or any controller?

There are some bluetooth controllers that should work fine but until USB host mode is released you won't be able to connect a USB controller.

I have some SF2 ROM and it isn't full speed but "works" with the default frameskip, however using the N900 keyboard for SF2 is hopeless and it also seems to lock up the phone UI after some time. I haven't diagnosed the cause yet.

Give it a go with the ROM in question and let me know how it works.

any games you generally recommend to play, that play well on the actual WIP ?

Tried my favorite "Tumble Pop", not a good result

Originally Posted by GotGlint View Post
Regarding arcade sticks connecting via usb, is that feasible out completely outlandish?
Have you tried using a PS3 six axis controller?

They work a treat and wireless which is much better

EDIT

Just tried street fighter 2 turbo (you will need street fighter 2 championship edition (world) as a parent rom aswell) and they both run at 72-85% on auto frame skip with a little drop in % when the screen gets busy or other words when i'm getting my butt kicked.

And again works well with six axis controller.

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-07-28 at 14:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:

Tags
arcade, emulator, game, maemo 5, mame, wip