Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
There was a way with the N900 as well as the Galaxy Note to delete the EFS info in the EFS directory. Back ip up first of course.

This assigns a generic IMEI that starts with 049 or something. (default IMEI 004999010640000)

Has anybody done this on the N9? Would this keep them from detecting it as a Smartphone if the APN info was deleted as well.

This is how I want to use one on ATT.

I would not need any Cellular data.

Last edited by les_garten; 2013-10-12 at 23:23.

i don't have a problem with my n9. i have the white one if there's any difference. but my gf with the black n9 had gotten the sms about it several times now

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
There was a way with the N900 as well as the Galaxy Note to delete the EFS info in the EFS directory. Back ip up first of course.

This assigns a generic IMEI that starts with 049 or something. (default IMEI 004999010640000)
Where is the EFS directory on the N900? My web searching all comes up with a solution specifically for Samsung Galaxy phones.

Wish I had found this site/thread yesterday. As a long time Symbian user, I have grown accustomed to not paying for a data plan as I am always around wifi. I just bought an N9 off NewEgg bc it was marked down to $199.

I could try to just return it unopened but I would also kinda like to put my SIM in and see if AT&T detects it (since there are conflicting reports here). Also could be time to just switch to T-Mobile as they have unlimited talk/text/data now for $50 - if I get my family in on it the 4 of us would only cost $100. Coverage is the only thing that concerns me about T-Mobile as I hear bad things.

Last edited by Nokia69; 2013-11-05 at 10:38.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Nokia69 View Post
Wish I had found this site/thread yesterday. As a long time Symbian user, I have grown accustomed to not paying for a data plan as I am always around wifi. I just bought an N9 off NewEgg bc it was marked down to $199.

I could try to just return it unopened but I would also kinda like to put my SIM in and see if AT&T detects it (since there are conflicting reports here). Also could be time to just switch to T-Mobile as they have unlimited talk/text/data now for $50 - if I get my family in on it the 4 us would only cost $100. Coverage is the only thing that concerns me about T-Mobile as I hear bad things.
I actually have had T-Mobile in the USA for pretty much all of my life that I've had a cellphone, so here's my experience, as objectively as I can make it:

Overall, T-Mobile has been fine.

Notable exceptions include the fact that I had the worst of luck both in my family home where we lived when I went to high school, and in my current residence - signal at those spot was routinely unreliable and definitely not good enough to maintain a 3G internet connection. (When I was on the Community Council here, I would often start the meetings while I was on my university campus, where I get perfectly fine signal, over 3G, but then either have to disconnect to switch mid-meeting if they lasted until it was time for me to get home, or I'd linger on campus until meeting was over just so that I could keep the connection.)

But here's a surprising twist: sometime around last summer, they must've put up a new 3G/3.5G capable tower nearby, because my cell signal in my current residence became wonderful, the aforementioned being a non-issue.

Besides that, I have maybe one dead spot that I know of along a long road here in Florida (I make long-distance trips by car more frequently than most), but it's not major. The worst dead spot for T-Mobile in my experience was a particularly secluded cabin in North Carolina where my partner's Verizon phone got the barest minimum of signal, while mine was completely out of reception.

So it's worse in coverage than Verizon and AT&T, perhaps, but in my experience not substantially so, and they seem to be getting better, slowly...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Originally Posted by Nokia69 View Post

I could try to just return it unopened but I would also kinda like to put my SIM in and see if AT&T detects it (since there are conflicting reports here). Also could be time to just switch to T-Mobile as they have unlimited talk/text/data now for $50 - if I get my family in on it the 4 us would only cost $100. Coverage is the only thing that concerns me about T-Mobile as I hear bad things.
Since my N9 has now been "detected" by AT&T, I am now paying $230/mo for 4 lines, one of which has no data. Ridiculous in my opinion and I am now headed to T-Mobile for like you said, $100/mo for 4 lines. I've had AT&T before and did not have as many issues with them as I have had with AT&T. In my area, AT&T seems to have the worst coverage and even if they did have better coverage, $230/mo is outrageous.

The Following User Says Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:
mine is still undetected. Maybe it's only the black n9?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
mine is still undetected. Maybe it's only the black n9?
They've picked up on mine as well and I have a Finnish built Black Nokia N9. Consider yourself lucky for now.

They haven't picked mine up yet. Black 64GB Finnish N9. How do you find out that they have picked it up? Text message or just checking your bill?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Demati View Post
They haven't picked mine up yet. Black 64GB Finnish N9. How do you find out that they have picked it up? Text message or just checking your bill?
Text message stating that you need to sign up for a data plan is what I got. And that was while it was on pure wi-fi (my house).