Hi there,
I would like to know if there is a way to get a USB keyboard to work within LXDE apps. At the moment I the alphabet works but not the number/special characters such as @!#$%^

Within maemo I'm using extkbd to get the special characters/numbers to work, and was hoping that this behaviour is carried forward to easy debian. Thanx

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
mdziaf:

My bluetooth hid scripts include support for Easy Debian. Probably the only advantage they have over Extkbd. I have a line that sets up the keyboard mapping for display :1 as well as for the primary display...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanx for that qole. I will give it a go.

Edit:

I've installed the BT HID script, but it is not working for me.
Numbers/special characters are not working

Also now I have a cursor that does not go away even after the hidemouse (if this is too off topic I will post it on the BT HID Thread instead)

Last edited by mdziaf; 2011-04-10 at 03:48. Reason: Tested qole's suggestion

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Libreoffice wish I could use instead of Openoffice.

I can not get Easy Debian install.

Can you help me install it?

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Viterbo (Italy)
hi someone has solved the problem of the restarts? i've tried with the power kernel without solution...

Originally Posted by gm90_blackmamba View Post
hi someone has solved the problem of the restarts? i've tried with the power kernel without solution...
Hi just want to report on my experience with this issue.

Basically I have been trying to install wxmaxima on ED. This was successful the first time and it was working for about 6 months or basically since I bought N900. Then a few days ago I was playing with some stuff and managed to rm -Rf MyDocs, so reflashed everything.

First when trying to install ED, my phone would turn off or at least become unresponsive during the unzipping. When turning it on again image was only half unzipped. This happened several times with both v3d and v3e. Eventually I unzipped on PC.

Next I did my customizations and then installed wxmaxima among others, successful. I left ED open for 1 hour and went away, when I came back it had closed (or maybe phone rebooted). The image wouldn't boot any more, so I copied the fresh image from PC again.

This time first thing I did was to "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get instlal wxmaxima" (from inside ED). Went away for 1 hour again, when I came back my phone was off. When I turned it on wxmaxima was not installed and would not install, with the symptoms described earlier in this thread. chkdsk and fsck (from friend's mac) wouldn't fix the errors.

Then I found this thread. So I copied fresh image over and tried "sudo umount /media/mmc1". Unmounting failed until I killed hildon-thumbnailerd - dunno why that was accessing my SD card for 15 minutes. Then "debbie sudo apt-get blah blah" in X terminal.

Contrary to what was claimed earlier unmounting SD card did NOT work, i.e. N900 was found to be off 1 hour later with same problems. I then physically removed the card and tried again. This did NOT work either.

By then I was getting really annoyed after having redownloaded about 3 gigs of files in the past 12 hours. So this time I added "-d" to apt-get then backed up the image. Then tried to install again, this time I also tried "nice -n 19 debbie ..." as recommended earlier. (I didn't do this at first because I thought removing the SD card would fix the problem). As I had access to my friend's macbook (my PC has no wifi) I remembered I could ssh.

Now I kept waking up the phone every time the screen turned off. About 10 minutes into the install, the phone was unresponsive and screen went off but ssh was still connected. I typed "top" but no response. Pulling the lever on the side did nothing but then one minute later a frozen screen came on again, then the output of top came onto the ssh. My advanced-clock-plugin seconds only updated every minute or so. This happened for about 10 minutes but in the end the install worked.

Battery was always connected to charger or PC during the above events.

So my advice would be to keep backing up ED image. Try removing SD card first, use nice, and backup after any big download so you don't have to wait for slow servers over and over.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zero For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow, no wonder interest in Easy Debian has dropped off. If lots of people are having these kinds of problems, I don't blame them.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ stockton
pali's new patched kernel has some significant improvements i did a full apt get upgrade and the phone did reboot but had upgraded about 3 quarters of everything with all catalogs open gona test some more but its looking good for a 1st attempt
i found before turning the screen stays lit when charging option works wonders with this aswell for some reason when screen goes to standby the problems become more prominant

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
i can't get it to work; if i try to use the image installer it freezes forever then the N900 reboots with MyDocs mounted as readonly, and with the image extracted by a desktop machine and transmitted via sftp over WiFi with the speed throtled way down in order to avoid triggering the unresponsiveness followed by reboot and fs corruption issue things don't seem to be done right even though the size of the extracted image file looks right, lxde doesn't load (in previous try it opened but was messed up)

Before i had an older version of ED installed and working (never managed to get 3d nor 3e to install back then), but i recently had to reflash, now without Maemo Synaptic reinstalling **** has been a real PITA

Would it be possible to make the image install process be easier on the device (throttle the disk I/O way down) so the device won't go unresponsive, much less crash-reboot and **** the fs?

Btw, what is the su password inside the chroot? I tried both my maemo root pw and empty pw but it doesn't let me in....

I'm having similar problems......random reboots and cant upgrade. I get problems with various files in /var/lib/dpkg and stale files...whatever that means.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze