Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Just for you

FAQ 770_2007He_step by step skype installation

Credit from Bundyo, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740.

1) you should be running 2007He on you 770, the last 2 hacks should be fine.

2) Install Skype-ui, Menu>Tools>App Manager>Browse Installable apps>skype-ui

3) dl skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb to a win PC desktop, http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com.../user/s/skype/

4) Use izarc for extraction skyhost. http://izarc.org/download.html, dl izarc and install, this is for vista, pick your izarc version, or google it.

5) associate .deb with izarc (when install izarc, they ask you for file association), click on file skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb for extraction, upon viewing tree system from izarc, in folder skype_1.7...../usr/bin you will find skyhost, extract into your win desktop.

6) copy skyhost into your mmc card: and now your skyhost is on /media/mmc1
a) take card out from 770 and copy via a cardreader
b) USB cable copy
c) BT
d) setup tightVNC, there is a file transfer option. Setup 770 as X11VNC server, just click the x11VNC after
installation, there is no parameters to set, and you will not see anything after you click, it is 'silently' ON. then on your
win PC, run tightVNC viewer (Google and install, you do need to supply the ip address of your X11VNC, something like
192.168.x.x to connect to your 770, click on the icon with two square, that is the file transfer icon)

7) copy /media/mmc1/skyhost into /usr/bin, you need to be at root then run skyhost (install becomeroot will let you gainroot)
Start Xterm
~ $ sudo gainroot
/home/user # cp /media/mmc1/skyhost /usr/bin
/home/user # chown user:users /usr/bin/skyhost

8) Menu>Skype, voila, start skyping....

bun
Hi, I'm getting to point 7: when I try to cp it gives me a "/home/user: Permission denied" message. whoami says I'm root. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by asynctea View Post
Hi, I'm getting to point 7: when I try to cp it gives me a "/home/user: Permission denied" message. whoami says I'm root. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks
1) If you are root, your prompt sign should be #, not $.
2) ls /media/mmc1/, Do you see the file skyhost there?

bun

1) If you are root, your prompt sign should be #, not $.
2) ls /media/mmc1/, Do you see the file skyhost there?
Yes, my prompt sign is #

2. my media is /media/Kingston
and skyhost is in downloads
So I am using:
/home/user # cp /media/Kingston/downloads/skyhost /usr/bin
to which it returns:
/bin/sh: /home/user: Permission denied

Originally Posted by asynctea View Post
Yes, my prompt sign is #

2. my media is /media/Kingston
and skyhost is in downloads
So I am using:
/home/user # cp /media/Kingston/downloads/skyhost /usr/bin
to which it returns:
/bin/sh: /home/user: Permission denied
I assumed by the defining silence that my ignorance was my problem... Apparently it was, typing: "cp /media/mmc1/downloads/skyhost /usr/bin" worked fine - still not quite used to the linux way of things, thanks for the reply bunanson, inspite of the stupid que.

I see, I have to read it twice to get it, you typed in the prom"home/user/" I have since removed it. Sorry for the confusion. I am glad you get it now. How do you like the audio quality? Gizmo?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-03 at 02:45.

hello!i have one question
how can i access the root?skyhost is on my removeable memory card,but i don't know,how i can copy this file to /usr/bin ?
please help me!(i'm a noob ^^ )

Originally Posted by thesoldier View Post
hello!i have one question
how can i access the root?skyhost is on my removeable memory card,but i don't know,how i can copy this file to /usr/bin ?
please help me!(i'm a noob ^^ )
Go here to install the becomeroot of your OS, www.gronmayer.com/it/, just search, I think it is http://eko.one.pl/maemo, bora/user. After than, you access root by xterm/sudo gainroot, you then follow here #7, step by step, just for you, thesoldier.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Thanks everyone for these guides. I am getting stuck at step 7 of 'bunanson's' instruction when I get the dreaded "permission denied" message. Could someone please explain in plain and simple English as this is the first time I am using xterm and becoming root and everything else... The whole thing is extremely foreign to me but I'd love to get it to work. Skyhost file is on my memory card (confirmed through using the file manager) and I am root (with the # sign). Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Aiadi; 2008-02-02 at 19:15.

Got it finally to work after ignoring the '/home/user' bit of the equation in step 7. Why is it there in the first place?? You can tell that I am a complete newbee...

Go here to install the becomeroot of your OS, www.gronmayer.com/it/, just search, I think it is http://eko.one.pl/maemo, bora/user. After than, you access root by xterm/sudo gainroot, you then follow here #7, step by step, just for you, thesoldier.

bun
Bunanson,you are the best!thank you!