Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
The sink used for video playback does not do any rendering by itself. It just lets the application get hold of egl images so it can blit them.

The sink uses android GL drivers so not all color formats are supported.

If someone wants to do a video player with GStreamer directly then I can help.

Alternatively have a look at the sailfish media components RPM and there should be a video element that handles all this for you (not supported)

EDIT:
Yes we disabled a lot of codecs and we use AAC encoder only from gst-ffmpeg. The rest has been disabled because it's not needed and because of the limited codecs that we enable in our libav

libav is used for thumbnailing, tracker indexing and some audio encoding and decoding.

EDIT2:
Gallery is not really crippled. The issue is tracker does not recognize all the formats because libav lacks support for them.

Last edited by MSameer; 2014-01-24 at 15:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
I have a some problems.
1. Installed needed codecs from sailfish repo, def and LLS playrs start to play videos, but not good, always with green and red lines..

2. Most of my files come with 2 audio lines and default one is a translated to russian line. But after installation of all needed plagins, both players started to use the original english line instead translated.

3. I noticed that Filetug (file browser) app also have player and only this player can show the clear image, see screenshot.

But this player have another problems:
* too much time to load video
* not have stop/pause/play button
* can't scroll video
* you always see circle in the middle and the scroll line at the button

Any advice, how to get clear image in def and lls players like in Filetug app? And how I can hear the translated audio line like before plugins installation?
Thanks

Last edited by Schturman; 2014-02-05 at 20:23.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
The sink used for video playback does not do any rendering by itself. It just lets the application get hold of egl images so it can blit them.

The sink uses android GL drivers so not all color formats are supported.
Yes as you can see in this thread many non h264 files have messed up colors. Could you not fix it with a ffmpegcolorspace element before the video sink? It's really lame that the default video backend can't render all supported, with additional codecs installed, files correctly.

If someone wants to do a video player with GStreamer directly then I can help.
I've found the droideglsink element, written by Mohammed Hassan whom I guess is you, which has a egl-display property that needs to be set to the right window/surface. So how do you do it?
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
I have a some problems.
1. Installed needed codecs from sailfish repo, def and LLS playrs start to play videos, but not good, always with green and red lines..
Yes there is a bug in the default multimedia backend that messes up colors for many files.

2. Most of my files come with 2 audio lines and default one is a translated to russian line. But after installation of all needed plagins, both players started to use the original english line instead translated.
No idea about this one. But as mentioned before we really need a good video player that can select both sub and audio tracks.

3. I noticed that Filetug (file browser) app also have player and only this player can show the clear image, see screenshot.
http://imageshack.com/a/img836/2118/f6y7.jpg
But this player have another problems:
* too much time to load video
* not have stop/pause/play button
* can't scroll video
* you always see circle in the middle and the scroll line at the button

Any advice, how to get clear image in def and lls players like in Filetug app? And how I can hear the translated audio line like before plugins installation?
Thanks
Either the Jolla dev fixes the bug(s) in the default backend or someone else writes a video player that uses gstreamer directly.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I've found the droideglsink element, written by Mohammed Hassan whom I guess is you, which has a egl-display property that needs to be set to the right window/surface. So how do you do it?
I am the same guy who wrote the sink.

Here is an example: https://gitorious.org/cameraplus/cam...nderernemo.cpp

You basically either set the egl-display when you create the element or you set it the first time you get a frame available signal. It does not matter.

Yes there is a bug in the default multimedia backend that messes up colors for many files.
Do you have any facts to back your claim up ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
I am the same guy who wrote the sink.

Here is an example: https://gitorious.org/cameraplus/cam...nderernemo.cpp

You basically either set the egl-display when you create the element or you set it the first time you get a frame available signal. It does not matter.
Thanks for the answer. But before I dig any deeper I might as well ask if this is possible to do with only Qt as I usually use PyQt? I see you import a few headers which might not work with Python. The same thing is dead simple to do in X11 with the xvimagesink element and I've done it multiple times with GTK2/3, never with Qt though. Otherwise I might convince llelectronics to use gstreamer directly with his player.

Do you have any facts to back your claim up ?
Well, the default backend (MediaPlayer) works reasonably well but as you can see in this thread, and other places, it got a few bugs and missing features. The main issues identified so far:

* Messed up colors for many non h264 files, possibly fixed with a ffmpegcolorspace element
* Lack of proper subtitle support, on/off, chose between multiple ones
* Missing capability to chose between many audio tracks in video files

Those three are the big ones I think. I know you're in the process of upgrading to gst-1 but still it would be nice if the messed up colors would be fixed. And to have an on/off switch for subtitles.

Edit: Also MediaPlayer got pretty good support for metadata which you would have to deal with in another way if you use gstreamer directly.

Last edited by xerxes2; 2014-02-10 at 17:22.

Thanks for the answer. But before I dig any deeper I might as well ask if this is possible to do with only Qt as I usually use PyQt? I see you import a few headers which might not work with Python. The same thing is dead simple to do in X11 with the xvimagesink element and I've done it multiple times with GTK2/3, never with Qt though. Otherwise I might convince llelectronics to use gstreamer directly with his player.
I am not asking you to do it with GStreamer directly. I personally prefer using GStreamer directly because QtMultimedia is IMO utter crap but that's my personal opinion anyway.

I have recently rewrote an app of mine to not use QtMultimedia because it prevented me from supporting all the use cases I need. If it works for you then fine, use it!

There is no xvimagesink in Sailfish as it's X11 specific and we use wayland.

Well, the default backend (MediaPlayer) works reasonably well but as you can see in this thread, and other places, it got a few bugs and missing features. The main issues identified so far:

* Messed up colors for many non h264 files, possibly fixed with a ffmpegcolorspace element
* Lack of proper subtitle support, on/off, chose between multiple ones
* Missing capability to chose between many audio tracks in video files
Those should go to together.jolla.com not here

Those three are the big ones I think. I know you're in the process of upgrading to gst-1 but still it would be nice if the messed up colors would be fixed. And to have an on/off switch for subtitles.
GStreamer 1.0 has nothing to do with the above issues AFAICT. These are QtMultimedia issues.

Edit: Also MediaPlayer got pretty good support for metadata which you would have to deal with in another way if you use gstreamer directly.
MediaPlayer gets most of its info from GStreamer so not an issue.

All what I am saying is that I prefer GStreamer to QtMultimedia but it doesn't mean that the workd has to use it. It's just a matter of taste.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
I just tried to play a xvid file but suddenly it didn't work. Has Jolla somehow blacklisted mpeg4 codecs? VP8 works though. I also found this:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...stream-codecs/

Edit: Or is it the avi container?

Any tips on how to get XviD support?

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Pordenone
Anyone Know why before the 3 last updates I did watching mpeg without problems and now I can not???
They have modify something =??