Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
PAGGER!

This is like bairns fighting over Panini stickers. Grow up the lot of you. Nobody ever gets the silver-foiled Kevin Keegan sticker.

Infact ... a crumpled Willie Miller at best, found at the bottom of your satchel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
And tell me, how does advancing NitDroid help Harmattan? Yet people wanted it's author to get an N950.
Do you really need an answer ?

Ok, I'll do it. MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan is an OS and needs to run on a hardware (Nokia N9 or N950). If the device (N9/N950) has the option of multibooting Android 2.3/4.0, this feature will :
- attract more users who sometimes really needs some Android softwares not available on Harmattan (Netflix, etc), so buying a N9 becomes a viable option;
- avoid Harmattan users to buy an Android smartphone to experiment Android OS, Android softwares, Android programming (there is Qt and Python for Android). So the Harmattan users have more money to buy/maintain Harmattan devices;
- afterall increase the N9/N950 user base.

This competition was not about advancing Harmattan, in any way, shape or form. The devices could have been Lumias, and the decisions would have been the same.
Sorry but I see the "Community Awards" as part of Nokia "Summer'12 Device Program", which has some goals, including motivate the Maemo/MeeGo community and help reducing the list of missing softwares. Therefore more Harmattan activities : more sofwares, more community using Harmattan (including the 4 council members), etc.

Please don't cite Nokia Lumia here as possible prizes, it is nothing related to Maemo/MeeGo/Linux/Qt/decent mobile OS. I refused to participate on Nokia Lumia Device Program some months ago.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Way to not read the post bro. To pick a fight you have to be MORE inflammatory. Try again.
I don't want to fight or be inflammatory.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
compare contributions is just ridicules! it can never be fair! Most thanks, most, downloads, most lines of code, most hours spent and no judges. That is the only way eliminate the conflict of interested and make it fair up to a standard.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
why would you be afraid of telling the truth?
if you posted what you faithfully believe to be true, it shouldn't matter.
Sorry, but even as blunt and transparent as I am, this is not true, for two reasons:
  • Just because someone believes something doesn't make it true. Lots of people believe in everything from invisible pink unicorns to flying spagetti monsters. That doesn't make any of them true.
  • The other is that just because something is true doesn't mean it's meant to be known publicly. In fact some things can be true until they are known publicly, at which point it's no longer true. (See below.)

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
if NOKIA files bankruptcy in 2013, it won't really matter anymore what the truth may have been.
I'll use this as an example. Suppose someone at Samsung told Council something in confidence, say about a future takeover of Nokia and revival of the Maemo line. (Not, this is not fact, it's fantasy...) That would be awesome for the community to know in advance, but something they probably would not at liberty to actually disclose publicly until it happened. Posting that information publicly could damage that deal or kill it. At a minimum, it would destroy any future chances at getting advanced information, even though it's "the truth".

There are times when discretion and privacy are important.

We've had people being very upset that they were casually referred to in a Council meeting in an off-hand (and probably off-color) joke. Imagine if the per-Council vote, on who voted for whom, were made public. Imagine if every person in the CA had their merits disclosed, and reasoning for which person was better for a CA award in the opinion of each Council member. Do you think that wouldn't result in a firestorm? Yet doing just that was needed in order to make sure our decisions were based on true information, and for us to share knowledge from different parts of the community (because none of us is an expert in all areas of the Community.).

Something on this topic but not said earlier on the closed thread, because I was away for the weekend:

Reality TV is not the real world. Citing "Dancing with the Stars" as a real-life voting system is like saying Matlock is how most court cases are handled. Simon Cowell can be a complete āss because he doesn't have to later interact with the people he's bad-mouthing. Nor is he trying to build and maintain a community that cooperates and gets things done. In one-off, one-shot, total time-wasting, BS shows, you can vote publicly and harshly, because you don't need to care if that vote or it's reasoning is damaging to the individual or the community.

In communities where everyone will continue to live and work together after a political schism, voting must be private. The only exception is if the community is small, open, and tolerant enough to accept differences and self-criticism without forming grudges, cliques, or inter-group discrimination. This community, like most around the globe, does not have that quality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Do you really need an answer ?
Nice that you cite your reasons, but frankly, if someone is buying an N9 to run Android on it they're not generally going to care about or use Harmattan. If someone buys an N900 to work on Nemo, how does that help Fremantle, or CSSU, or... It may help sales of the device; but it generally doesn't help the Fremantle community. I think even the Harmattan community wouldn't agree on this point in unison.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Sorry but I see the "Community Awards" as part of Nokia "Summer'12 Device Program", which has some goals
Yet on that very page it states that the Community Awards is "unlike [the] other programs". One way it's unlike the others is that coding is not the focus, instead the focus is on "testers, helpers, hardware modders, contributing participants of brainstorms and so [on]". Tell me, how does a helper or hardware modder help reduce "missing apps"? They generally don't. They help other parts of the process, and build community, but they don't create missing apps.

The CA program has several differences from the other competitions, from not being app focused, to being for past work vs future promises, to Council voting vs a public vote or Nokia rep voting. The continued insistence that it has to have the same goals and requirements of the other program parts, given explicit statements to the contrary by those hosting it, is really depressing.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-06-28 at 17:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
F*ck me, this sh*t is still goin' on?????

Some of you guys are now embarrassing yourselves, it really is time to throw in the towel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
F*ck me, this sh*t is still goin' on?????

Some of you guys are now embarrassing yourselves, it really is time to throw in the towel.
I think to some degree the screaming has stopped and there's actually some constructive discussion going on. Perhaps you should read a post or two. Sometimes threads change, once in a rare while even for the better.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Nice that you cite your reasons, but frankly, if someone is buying an N9 to run Android on it they're not generally going to care about or use Harmattan. If someone buys an N900 to work on Nemo, how does that help Fremantle, or CSSU, or... It may help sales of the device; but it generally doesn't help the Fremantle community. I think even the Harmattan community wouldn't agree on this point in unison.
Let me remind you rules, quote from wiki:

The purpose of these awards is to recognize people that, for months/years have contributed, and continuously contribute, to Maemo Community.
Every time I visit TMO, I usually see NITDroid in the list of active topics. So, yeah... "It's not contribution".
You're funny in your attempts to shield dishonesty.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
Tell this to Davie.

Closed Thread

Tags
clarity, council fail, dishonesty, outcry, titfortat, trollmageddon, trolls, untrustworthy, whereisthelove