I'm trying out a custom Google Search that I created for the whole of maemo.org, with refinements (Talk, Wiki, Brainstorm, Mailing Lists, Downloads, Planet, Bugs, Packages) to easily search specific sections of maemo.org.

Please try it out and see what else is missing.

Link: http://tr.im/maemo_search

I'm hoping that we can use this as the global search tool for the whole site, if it works.

Thanks.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
So far so good! Tried with the four sub-searches on the left, and all gave me what I expected.

I hope you place the Search box prominently -- very useful.

Thanks

The webpage header/title shows as just " - Google Search" -- should say something more like "Maemo.org - Google Search"

It's a lot of orange -- if you can control it, a bolder font or a still-darker orange would make it easier on the eyes.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-11-13 at 22:32.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
There is also the tabletSearch CSE that I've been taking care of tabletSearch since nearly two years; there is even a Desktop search plugin available for Maemo 4.
It searches more than just maemo.org (e.g. forum nokia, developer lists, irc etc.)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
works great i did a search for beginners and it took me to wiki like i wanted.
did a search for VGBA and i got downloads as my top result
then did couple of forum topic searches and work's great all results are what i wanted

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
There is also the tabletSearch CSE that I've been taking care of tabletSearch since nearly two years; there is even a Desktop search plugin available for Maemo 4.
It searches more than just maemo.org (e.g. forum nokia, developer lists, irc etc.)
Yes , but is it orange?

This works great Reg. I'm not seeing any ads but I don't know if that is my machines tweak or yours.

Testing page integration: http://talk.maemo.org/msearch.php

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
It looks pretty good, but what is the motivation for switching search infrastructure (out of curiosity)? If it's to integrate searching across m.o assets then I'd say this is perfect. If it's anything to do with MW search sucking ,then that's a different story.

I'm asking because, with the MediaWiki we have at work we thought search sucked but then realised that it simply wasn't set up to index words with IIRC 3 characters or less (mysql fulltext indexing, I think). Realising that I tried searching for stuff with len>3 and thought it actually worked quite well.

Also, it's missing maemo.gitorious.org; probably too early for anything coherent from transifex...

There were some concerns that a lot of people only searching the forums and forgetting to search the wiki, where there are also a lot of information on certain topics. There are also other sections at maemo.org that are not apparent for new users and currently requires going to the different sections and doing the same search.

Gitorious has been added.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Since Google's results are always cached, this search will return deleted threads/posts. that could be a bit inconvenient, since clicking on such a result will of course lead to nowhere.

don't know how involved it would be to check the result against the current state of the db... i guess that would probably render some of the advantages of google (fast results) obsolete...

edit:
a page saying that this item has been deleted would probably help. at least people wouldn't be encouraged to write the admins (like they are now )

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-11-16 at 19:43.

At least for Talk, Google gets the latest sitemap files daily which makes the results more current. Along with sitemaps, Google will usually get new posts in the forum within an hour.

Yes, deleted threads can be a problem, as with deleted or moved pages in the wiki. For the one searching, if he/she gets a 404 error (page not found) most probably he/she will change his search terms, as what I usually do when searching via Google.

I think the missing pages problem is quite small compared to the advantage we will get on being able to search the whole site in one page.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post: