jd you lucky guy! im not able to transmit from more than a few inches far. for the same reason im not concerned at all about people listening to my conversation.

fm-boost does nothing to me. did you extra boosted it in some other way? or maybe you live in a desert...

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by phortize View Post
jd you lucky guy! im not able to transmit from more than a few inches far. for the same reason im not concerned at all about people listening to my conversation.

fm-boost does nothing to me. did you extra boosted it in some other way? or maybe you live in a desert...

No I don't live in a desert. I just follow the fm boost thread. There is also a youtube how to use it.

find an empty channel. Once you transmit and play the song start the fm boost. It's funny I can go out of my car and walk for a good 150feet and still broadcast last Saturday night we were packing from one car to the other our luggage and we were listening musing loud my phone was in my pocket and was playing out loud in one of the car my friend was really impress!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to JD2010 For This Useful Post:
ok ill try these eve. i really hope it works!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm not sure i understand the question. Are you asking if there's a way to use the FM transmitter to output a call through the car stereo system? Cars that actually support Bluetooth handsfree mode have microphones, buttons and other circuitry. Wouldn't the best you could do using the FM radio be the same as putting the N900 on speakerphone?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by pyromaniac View Post
hmmm .. just a concern for FM transmitting .. couldnt anyone just listen into your conversation .. (even if just accidentally) ... its not encrypted like BlueTooth pairings ..
I'd worry about this too. I've been able to pick up my transmission from quite a good distance from the radio (using boost), so I've no doubt it would be possible for someone driving next to you to tune in and listen.

Granted their radio would have to have sufficient reception, and granted they would have to find your station, but neither of those is out of the realm of possibility. I know I'd probably stop to listen just out of curiosity if I suddenly tuned in someone's phone call..

Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
agreed. people want new users to adopt the n900 & maemo but when they can't see how to do something, and then subsequently ask, they are met with a 'go find out for yourself' response.
Seriously???? You'd rather spoonfeed every person who is either too damned lazy or too damned stupid to actually TRY doing something for themselves before posting such a question as the OP? You go with your bad self and have a good time spoonfeeding lazy people, then.

i will hopefully be a n900 user within a couple of weeks, and hope others are more helpful if I have a few simple questions.
Simple questions are not the same as dumb questions. And yes, there are such things as dumb questions. I don't care what Ms. Penny, the special ed teacher told you about there being no such thing as stupid/dumb questions.

I'm using "you" in general terms.

giving a bad name to the maemo community.
No, what gives a bad name to the Maemo community, are people who are either too stupid or too lazy to go and try something out for themselves before asking to be spoonfed. Unfortunately, there isn't an app for that.

The maemo community is about collaboration, not spoonfeeding. If you can't take a little criticism, you really should get off the net before the mean people make you cry.

Originally Posted by phortize View Post
Yes, there's some people here that thinks that not knowing the answer is a good reason to blame who questioned it. I saw some of them too.
And there are people here that would rather be spoonfed... Any IDIOT would have first tried to see if he could make an "FM call" before asking. Not to mention that any t00l would know that such functionality from the "factory" is idiotic, at best.

i personally dont think its impossible to transmit calls through fm transmitter.
Was that so hard?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Seriously???? You'd rather spoonfeed every person who is either too damned lazy or too damned stupid to actually TRY doing something for themselves before posting such a question as the OP? You go with your bad self and have a good time spoonfeeding lazy people, then.

Simple questions are not the same as dumb questions. And yes, there are such things as dumb questions. I don't care what Ms. Penny, the special ed teacher told you about there being no such thing as stupid/dumb questions.

I'm using "you" in general terms.

No, what gives a bad name to the Maemo community, are people who are either too stupid or too lazy to go and try something out for themselves before asking to be spoonfed. Unfortunately, there isn't an app for that.

The maemo community is about collaboration, not spoonfeeding. If you can't take a little criticism, you really should get off the net before the mean people make you cry.

And there are people here that would rather be spoonfed... Any IDIOT would have first tried to see if he could make an "FM call" before asking. Not to mention that any t00l would know that such functionality from the "factory" is idiotic, at best.

Was that so hard?

When i read the OP I gathered that the user had looked on the phone, but had not seen anything, and was asking about the limitations of the device. That is the way I read it, as several others have. It is a valid question.

If it really makes you feel bigger, please continue to refer to people with special needs for 'comic effect' or whatever you see it as.

No, I try that before, but it does not work using FM transmitter to transmit your call.

Since my car has an AUX jack, i am using that previously when the bluetooth was having problem.

But now with PR 1.1 , the bluetooth have been fixed, so I am back to my bluetooth car kit.

@ that one guy

I answered because the topic interested me. Spoonfeeding, not spoonfeeding, i simply dont care. I was simply talkin about an argument that interested me. If you think that the question was so "IDIOT" why did you bother answering? ignoring stupid questions is the way to go for me.

anyway its not so idiotic for me as i have an old car whith an old radio in it, without aux and of course without bluetooth.
ok, the privacy could be a problem, the range too, but that makes it an idiotic topic? sorry i didnt came with the same conclusion as soon as you and wasted my time discussing it politely. im not so smart. please, stop losing your time with threads like this. your overwhelming intelligence embarass us and make us feel so miserasble...

Clearly the question was about technical possibilities.

Should be possible.
1. Mic is good enough, from 1.5m distance sounds still quite clear
2. You could/should use a car stand. So that you can access the buttons and to fix the phone mic direction
3. The only technical (software) issue would be to direct the sound from calls to FM transmitter, the interesting part, but sadly very new to linux so ...

Yet, as already told. Why not use the speaker function?