Notices

Closed Thread
Wow... I go to one website...mostly text and wham!! out of memory. Not cool.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Can it finally open links in new tabs, copy link locations or save images? I always uninstalled previous versions because it couldn't.
Tried it on a windows PC (update: also on scratchbox with the maemo5 SDK)... Unfortunately most of that functionality seems still to be missing. Also selecting/copying text seems impossible.

It appears that you can open links in new tabs by holding down ctrl, but for some reason the tabs end up being blank (until you hit reload for them).

The UI has a lot of potential though. It could be a lot better than the Maemo5's default MicroB after the missing features get implemented. Also a clever way to enter true full screen mode is required.

Last edited by hqh; 2009-11-12 at 20:19.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
i am running it on a N800 with Diablo (i think), and it is a great improved version as compared to the previous b4. Fast, and renders well. If you are not going to do lots of Ajax/javascript (e.g. more than what Google Mail might need) and more towards reading, i think this browser will do the job well.

i tried reading some news sites and i must say it is close to what i would hope to have since years on the ITs. the double-tap to zoom thing is really a neat feature.

when would it be release/final?

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Can it finally open links in new tabs, copy link locations or save images? I always uninstalled previous versions because it couldn't.
No, no and no. But it works much better than the previous versions on my n800.

Ciao jukey

Me on twitter

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by rocketscientist View Post
I also have a question: how do I get rid of the following error message on firefox startup?

[JavaSccript Application]
Browser._content is undefined
You've removed your profile directory before testing out the new beta? Try that first. Worked for me.

IIRC its due to an Extension.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm diggin' the double tap to zoom...

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The app shows 4 MB, but I suspect it takes much much more than 4 MB.
There is no reason to suspect anything.

Fennec uses Xulrunner, which is an integral part of Firefox. It is required for XUL, which is required e.g. for Extensions.

MicroB does not use Xulrunner. This makes MicroB (with dependencies) smaller than Fennec (with dependencies).

The downside is no XUL, which means no Extensions without considerable amount of work (basically, starting from scratch).

Xulrunner in .deb is about 10 MB. Unpacked probably more:

zeepkist:~> tar -xjf fennec-1.0b5.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2
zeepkist:~> du -ms fennec
29 fennec

I also notiiced 'odd' behaviors or crashings occur when it ran out of system resource, and it stayed 'full' after crashing.
What stayed full?

It runs without any crash, so far, when running with 100 MB more space . How do I gain more space? Do it the old fashion way . Repartition my SD boot disk.
Something like

zeepkist:~> mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/fennec ; cd ~/.mozilla
zeepkist:~> sudo mv fennec /media/mmcblk0p1
zeepkist:~> ln -s /media/mmcblk0p1/fennec

(Where mmcblk0p1 is your mounted bulk storage.)

It installed fine on 770 running 2008He but it wont run , error message "illegal instructions".
Then it is probably not compiled for ARMv5, but for ARMv6 & later.

>google will eat your brain some day soon! why dont we start up something like google without all this strange "we want to track everything but we never use it"? I wont use google apart of the search engine and the maps...

I agree that Google is evil, but their offerings are great, free and constantly improving. And luckily my online behaviour is not very secret or interesting.

To get back on topic, this version of firefox has a really great interface and grows on me after a day of use. No, it still cannot replace tear, open links in new tabs, and the weave add on password text entry only worked one letter at a time. BUT the gorgeous looks and handling still make me want to use it in addition to tear.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What stayed full?
If it crashes because of run out of memory, the tablet will stay that way, i.e., it does NOT release the 'hogged' memory; check free memory, 1kB free. Even Skype will not run. Reboot did NOT solve it. I reset it by snapping one of my backup.
I am sure there is an easier way to do it, but my backup comes handy. Once I repartition with 150 MB space, just for the Fennec, no more issue, no crash over 24 hrs, so far.

BTW, Fennec reported 4 MB. I suspect it takes more than 4 MB. And if you try to run with whatever 10 MB from your tar, I strongly suspect it is going to crash.

Edit: run with 14 MB space intFlash memory, crashed with google.com>news
Edit: run with 25 mB space intFlash, crashed with google.com>news

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-13 at 03:40.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
If it crashes because of run out of memory, the tablet will stay that way, i.e., it does NOT release the 'hogged' memory; check free memory, 1kB free. Even Skype will not run. Reboot did NOT solve it.
if you have 1 kB RAM free and you reboot you should have your RAM free again?

Or do you mean disk space? In that case: running an OS on a filesystem which ran out of disk space is asking for trouble. This counts for Linux, Windows, and pretty much anything else. This is why 5% space is reserved for root, but tons of stuff runs in userland...

Once I repartition with 150 MB space, just for the Fennec, no more issue, no crash over 24 hrs, so far.
Used hardware is N800, correct? Or...?

BTW, Fennec reported 4 MB. I suspect it takes more than 4 MB. And if you try to run with whatever 10 MB from your tar, I strongly suspect it is going to crash.
Ofcourse. For example for extensions and browser cache. In my case the directory was in 2 tests 6 and 9 MB. I installed all recommended extensions, and saved about 3-4 websites (t.m.o, slashdot, google, and some other on *.maemo.org/*)

Example in kB:

3231 Cache
2436 XPC.mfasl
643 XUL.mfasl
65 cert8.db
1 compatibility.ini
259 compreg.dat
7 cookies.sqlite
7 cookies.sqlite-journal
3 downloads.sqlite
1274 extensions
1 extensions.cache
1 extensions.ini
5 extensions.rdf
17 key3.db
1 localstore.rdf
1 lock
3 permissions.sqlite
259 places.sqlite
1 places.sqlite-journal
2 pluginreg.dat
2 prefs.js
20 search.json
3 search.sqlite
17 secmod.db
12 signons.sqlite
13 weave
101 xpti.dat
I recommend setting a maximum MB on the browser cache. Complaining a browser doesn't run well when you have almost no disk space is a no-brainer though. My S60browser crashed too when I didn't have enough disk space available. Its pretty much a given. Install software not on limited internal flash.

Closed Thread

Tags
browser, mozilla