Poll: Capacitive or Resistive?
Poll Options
Capacitive or Resistive?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I just like the feeling more of capacitive ones.
also maemo6 will be completely qt based which is easier to control with finger so a stylus won't be needed.
I'd prefer capacitive one.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by thinh View Post
capacitive>resistive

why can't you have both? lol resistive isn't as responsive as capacitive
What keeps getting overlooked in these religious debates is that Nokia has pantented a hybrid resistive/capcitive technology.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Responsiveness is King.

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
While reading many web pages, such as Google News, I'm to the point of straining my eyes if the light is bad. I just don't see how I can hit links with a finger on such pages. Capacitive just isn't a serious person's pointing device yet.
You can, it just requires zooming in, hitting the link. And zooming back out (if the page changing doesn't reset your zoom back to 100%).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
also maemo6 will be completely qt based which is easier to control with finger so a stylus won't be needed.
LOL Qt is not a magic fairyland castle full of fat-fingered, fair princesses. It's a toolkit, and can do as much good (or bad) as GTK if the designer doesn't do a good job.

A stylus is always needed for certain input modes. That some people don't care about these modes is relevant, but so is the fact that some people do. These aren't all unprofitable use cases/market segments, either. For example, for a portable computer to really capture the asian market, it needs to support stylus input.

God: i never figured you for such a trite little troll. I liked you better when you were burning cities and turning people to salt.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Without stating which screen tech is better, or saying which tech the next "flagship" should use.
I truly believe that as big of a company Nokia is, in need to cater as many market segments as possible Nokia atleast has to give consumers the option to have either resistive or capacitive screen on their Maemo smarttabletphoneMIDcomputer.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
The sheer fact I can navigate this forum without zooming is testament to resistive. Far quicker than zooming all the time.

Personally I even like how the screen is soft, it gives a tactile response to clicks which glass does not. I have a lot more problems with false clicks and unresposiveness on my iPod Touch.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by goodfellabk718 View Post
The other is that, resistive is more precise for things like handwriting recognition(still waiting for an app that will take handwritten text/cursive and reformat it to the typed font that is selected, I'm looking at you Xournal - anidel).
I am working on it... got PLENTY of stuff to do on Xournal... but Stay Tuned.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What keeps getting overlooked in these religious debates is that Nokia has pantented a hybrid resistive/capcitive technology.
Any links or more info about this? I'm really curious. Multitouch resistive would be the way to go.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Hope not. I like having stylus input as an option. N900 is fine for touch and I am a picky SOB.