I don't know if this has been covered or not, but you can access the N900's file system from an FTP program (I assume all, but I use Cyberduck).

I'm familiar with unix commands, but it's a lot easier to drag the file to my desktop, open it with Text Wrangler, change what I need, and upload it to the N900 again. I just can't see myself editing say, a .conf file on the 900 when I can do it from a proper computer.

You must have rootsh installed on the 900.

Doing things this way will either help more members brick their N900's if they don't save a back-up copy of the file(s) they are changing) or make their lives easier with learning the file system.

Text Wrangler is awesome for this on the Mac, as you say (I use BBEdit). You can access the filesystem directly via SFTP from within TextWrangler, can't you? MacFusion is pretty cool too for this kind of thing.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
I've been using Text Wrangler for a year, and never really looked at the menu bar. It appears you can use SFTP from within Text Wrangler. Cool!

Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I don't know if this has been covered or not, but you can access the N900's file system from an FTP program (I assume all, but I use Cyberduck).

I'm familiar with unix commands, but it's a lot easier to drag the file to my desktop, open it with Text Wrangler, change what I need, and upload it to the N900 again. I just can't see myself editing say, a .conf file on the 900 when I can do it from a proper computer.

You must have rootsh installed on the 900.

Doing things this way will either help more members brick their N900's if they don't save a back-up copy of the file(s) they are changing) or make their lives easier with learning the file system.
I have used sshfs for this purpose. It is much more convenient and integrates better into my desktop. Not needing to connect through USB is a bonus.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Moscow
I've just installed Cyberduck to try it as a SFTP client to access n900 and - my God - i think i never gonna use anything else. It gives maximum speed possible over WiFi (but you need to specify in Settings that you want transfers over SCP, not SFTP), connects in seconds, gives you autoloaded bookmarks and maintains previously opened directory view. This is so great that i don't want to return to old methods of transferring files between big computers and the tablet, like WizardMounter and samba shares.
BTW, i didn't try WinSCP on Windows, and it's being praised by everyone.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Transparent access to files over eg ftp, sftp, etc has been a feature of KDE programs for god knows how many years. Even poor Gnome users have a similar thing

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Transparent access to files over eg ftp, sftp, etc has been a feature of KDE programs for god knows how many years. Even poor Gnome users have a similar thing
Yeah, I always use fish:// right in Konq for this (plus, with this you can open the files remotely with Kate or similar).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900