Posts: 117 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Edinburgh
Since installing 51.1 my virtual keyboard no longer capitalises letters if I swipe the letter up!

Had I unsuspectingly installed or set something which enabled it or was it removed in the new firmware for some reason?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
It was removed in this firmware - I can't remember the exact reason though.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Edinburgh
That's really disappointing. I really liked that feature as simple as it was!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The reason given was that it improves usability. ...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
See bug #7391.

I was disappointed to hear they were removing this functionality. I can see their point however on new functionality for if you miss a letter then you can drag finger to new letter.
The issue would be fine if there was a shift key but it a 'caps lock' function that is really annoying. I have to click three times just to get a capital letter and return to lower case!

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Damn, I already miss this feature. It was great on the older tablets.. However, I do think it is potentially easier (or more accurate) to type quickly with the change in place.. If Nokia get round to making a multi-touch device, maybe it can be reinstated.. in perhaps a multitouch friendly manor!

Why doesn't this phone automatically capitalise 'i's that are on their own out of interest? Bugs me no end.

i do seem to make less mistakes while typing after the update though. in the last version, i swear there r many times that i touched an "a" for example n the button blinked as in acknowledging that i pressed it but it still did not appear in what i typed. that problem seems to be fixed now while sacrificing swipe up for caps.

As per the bug section of the site, this has been deemed the "way it should have been" basically.

I feel however that unless there was a reason to remove the functionality that this sort of advanced community can wrap their heads around, it is a silly "suit" decision that we would except an unimaginative company like Apple to make, with little regard to actual end-users. Unless enough of them whined, of course.

These sort of gestures would be HIGHLY useful for a portrait virtual keyboard. But wait, last I heard a virtual keyboard in portrait mode was not going to even be included, correct?

I didn't even know about these gestures and they would fit perfectly. The virtual keyboard is already decadent enough, please IMPROVE it's functionality, not hinder it.

Many times I want to tap on the screen for a quick message and not have to slide out the QWERTY, which also has it's small issues that need fixing.