OTA doesn't work for me, so flashing is the only stable method for me.
Believe it or not, flashing is the only stable method period. Never "upgrade" a debian-based system, only packages inside it. Same goes for desktop systems like Ubuntu.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Never gave me issues, when i got my N900 it came with pr1.1 from the box, pr1.2 was already avaible, OTA went without a hitch, then when pr1.3 came you HAM didn't wanna do it and tried to trick me into doing the upgrade with OVI Suite, which from what i've ****s things up way more than the messages usggesting you use it indicate, i didn't fall for it, i upgraded using Maemo Synaptic, didn't had any issues this time either

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I've use OTA to upgrade all the way from 1.0 to 1.3, and every step in between. OTA works fine.

As for the Kernel, I believe v42 is still available (and the default) in extra-testing. Devel's current version is v46.

Posts: 189 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I'm using kernel v46 no problems so far, fresh install, flashed to PR1.3 and installed kernel v46. Overclocked at lv900MHz, stable.

You really should upgrade to pr1.3 alot of apps are now compiled for it, especialy anything related to the kernel.

But it amazes me how people who are adversed to upgrading/flashing install things from devel without at least looking at the change logs.
There is nothing wrong with using extras devel, almost all the apps i use come from there, but you really need to take the time to look at what your updating and why, because something is the newest release doesn't automaticaly mean its better and could quite possibly brick your phone.
I only say this because ive learned these lessons the hard way

The Following User Says Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
where can i download the kernel 46?? can some one give me the link?? thanks in advance

CasTTeLLo

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
What repositories do you have enabled?

i have all the repos so far...AND after flashing my device via flasher 3.5 i got this prob : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64719

CasTTeLLo

Last edited by CasTTeLLo; 2010-12-29 at 04:55.

With 1.3 and kpv.46, I've had no problems at all, whereas I had a bunch of problems with v.42. There may have been other circumstances, but regardless, I'm getting better performance out of 46 than even with the stock kernel.

Still, it would be nice to upgrade to 2.6.36.2...

what is the repos for new kernal??

CasTTeLLo