Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
I'm curious about something - do those of you raving about the fantastic Maemo community and the advantages of having an open system run a community supported open OS on your full size computers?
Yes, Ubuntu on the laptop, OpenSolaris on the NFS file server, and Ubuntu on the HTPC.
And Maemo on the 770, N800, N810, N900.
Oh, and some embedded Linux on the Panasonic TV.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I wanted to re-open this and thank a few people who lately have been real community stars in my opinion:

RevdKathy

She burst in as a "bear with little brain" but rapidly proved that wrong by very quickly gaining a foothold in the community and in short order was offering advice to other newbies as one of the first Maemo Greeters. Her enthusiasm, humor, and overall attitude have endeared her to many and I'm starting to think of her as my own "right hand woman". More like her please!

YoDude

He and I are often at odds over semantics but he has an uncanny knack to inject sobriety into heated threads just when it's needed. He has been a steady influence here and a great devil's advocate when it's needed-- which is often.

epage

Ed is the ultimate application developer in my opinion. His work with DialCentral is unmatched. He is patient with complaints and never seems to get rattled by demands. His inclusion of an app log capturing feature should be a Maemo best practice IMO. Ed should give classes on excellent development!

Note that I do not mean to slight anyone. As the thought occurs I will gladly recognize others. These 3 just came to mind due to recent events and trends.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-30 at 18:21.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
+1 for YoDude. He irritates me sometimes, but is a great moderator. Need more "bouncers" like him.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Aww shucks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Aww shucks!
+1

... and to make it clear, I am not a moderator of these boards and have no idea what was meant by "bouncers". I'm not in the greatest shape, but nothing bounces... yet.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-30 at 23:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
More recognition:

Flandry, chemist

Both of these guys stepped in to help in Brainstorm when qgil and I were away or overloaded. They've also been given other moderator duties, and Flandry is notable for his now-famous sticky post about the last firmware upgrade. I'm really pleased with these guys, especially their calm approach to posting. Very helpful.

Sjgadsby

Long-time member who selflessly and consistently publishes Bugzilla data for your consumption. Please, please, please read his periodic reports and go through the bug jar lists. You may strike gold. Gadsby also does a tremendous amount of very necessary behind-the-scenes thread/post management.

fatalsaint

Passionate member who took some time off but returned to reinvigorate the place. Loves to debate but never takes disagreement personally as far as I can tell. When he's in a thread, you know it will be interesting!

Of course there are many more but these 4 stood out today. I will try to do this more often.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Lets not forget frals for taking an idea that most thought it's really hard to implement in such a short time by the community (MMS) to a reality (fMMS)..

I personally don't care about MMS but I just had to install it on my N900 because I was so amazed of the acomplishment in such a short time and by the community too!

Seriously, I've always known about Maemo and Nokia Internet Tablets and actually thought of getting the 770 and then the N8x0's but I never did because I always had fear when it came to linux, and I really didn't know that the Maemo community are so helpful! So although I don't know much about linux I am trying to help as much as I can so I can fit in with this community!

Yes fit in! hehe.

Anyways, since we're on this topic I would like to thank everyone for helping even when it comes to a very simple hack and I would love to see more and more applications/cool hacks for the N900 and I have a feeling that it will happen!

Last edited by bandora; 2010-01-13 at 23:54.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
I have to say.. I really like this thread.. and no - not because Tex talks about me . So few of these threads exist without tarnishing that I'm thoroughly impressed and surprised.

While I don't necessarily feel I'm anything special - I do wholeheartedly agree with all the rest of those Texrat has mentioned. My only issue would be that there are so many excellent people in the Maemo community that there is no way to properly thank all of them for all of the hard work they put in and the help they provide to everybody. I would always feel bad to try and list users by name that warranted appreciation because my memory is not that good, and I'd be guaranteed to miss people.

Suffice to say... a big thank you from me to everyone that has ever helped provide any useful service to this community... from creating apps, to simply asking good questions - the Maemo community as a whole deserves praise.

And Tex:
Loves to debate but never takes disagreement personally as far as I can tell
That just made me chuckle . I always figured a good debate is an excellent way to exercise the mind... after all - how boring would it be if everyone agreed all the time?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Anyone can recognize people.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Rob1n is doing a fantastic job of answering questions all over the fora. I'm particularly impressed by his/her ability to calmly, clearly, and professionally answer those ever-repeating firmware upgrade questions that have flooded the boards.

Thanks, Rob1n!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: