Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
the best thing is to stick on the topic please
and freemangordon that's what i ment before
when reaching the internel swap N900 starts to lag till have to reboot

just an extra info
cgrouping in /dev gives a better performance than cgrouping in /sysparts

The Following User Says Thank You to karam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
I re-flashed my second N900 (rootfs & eMMC) and then installed just rootsh + Compcache kernel-power.
It seems to work fine. Some lagging when ramzswap is full, but still responding quite OK.

Other N900, (KP+CSSU+speedpatch, etc...) started to lag heavily after ramzswap was full and eventually needed a reboot (or battery removal). I tried with speedpatch installed / removed, results was the same. Something is confiliction with compcache.

I'll add CSSU and other stuff to clean N900 and check what will happen.

EDIT: Installation steps (cumulative)
1) CSSU installed -> OK, no changes
2) Swappolube installed and "proposed values" applied -> NOK (stop responding, battery removal needed)
3) Swappolube and just swappiness adjusted to 30 -> OK (better that proposed values, but lots of lagging when heavily loaded)
- Annoying lagginess starts somewhere when +50M flash swap is in use. Below that it is quite usable.
4) Speedpatch (speedpatch_0.4.deb) -> Best performance so far. Ramzswap full & +70M flash swap and device is very usable and lagging is very minimal ( I had to test this even agreed to keep it in separate topic)

EDIT_2:Copied same settings for the other N900.

EDIT_3:With the other N900 problems started again after some usage. Load averages are showing: ~10, ~8 and ~3, but there is no program using CPU more that 2% and CPU freq is at min (min = 500MHz, max=805MHz). This ghost loading is causing lack of responsiveness. Any ideas how to find out what is causing extremely high constant loading? Top and Conky are not giving any additional usable information.

Last edited by Gusse; 2011-08-29 at 13:41.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And you were told hundreds of times that it is already implemented by nokia so "magic patch" does nothing on cgroups side. God knows what exactly it does. Anyway lets stay on topic please.
...it is? Wasn't the kernel auto-scheduler patch first upstream included in kernel 2.6.3x?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
@Gusse
you're using the suggested disksize?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by evan View Post
@Gusse
you're using the suggested disksize?
Yep. disksize_kb=131073

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
Some lagging when ramzswap is full, but still responding quite OK.
Which is expected behaviour, once out of RAM (and notifications turned off, so memory consumption is suboptimal), we hit internal flash swap. The benefit is that we can run more applications before that hit. Lets see how it will behave once notifications are running

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...it is? Wasn't the kernel auto-scheduler patch first upstream included in kernel 2.6.3x?
So karam's patch adds upstream kernel patch to n900 kernel? Don't think so.

Again, stay on topic please. I don't want to further discuss speedpatch here, there is a dedicated thread for that. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Anyway, a little progress, notifications semi-working, at last I grok the amn swap remap thing, hopefully by 1-2 days will have them fully working.
This gives me an epic boner.

Just sayin'

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Mohammad View Post
oh god
Estel u kidding me?
i've seen no one complaining about it
and freemangordon
this magic patch you are talking about
is the BEST patch and the most effective one i have ever used
and it didn't come out from nothing
don't you know the famous 200 lines that improves linux ?
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alter...nel-patch.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13562...200-line-patch
http://askubuntu.com/questions/19051...x-kernel-patch
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/1...t-Does-Wonders

i think it does do something after all
Oh I swear to $DEITY that we should ban everyone that advocates this 200-line patch.
Nokia tries to do this and fails - see ohmd/syspart.
The downside to Nokia's approach is that it's too much on top of the kernel's SLUB. Nokia should've focused on making "nice" actually work. Most programs managed by syspart are small-memory-footprint programs that run in the background. Except for browserd and tracker (but that should be nice'd to 20)

Unfortunately, for some reason the device becomes unusable without syspart/ohmd.

Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
OH gosh Hurrian I swear to GOD that my device is usable
and pleeeeease stay on topic

stay on topic please. I don't want to further discuss speedpatch here, there is a dedicated thread for that. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Oh I swear to $DEITY that we should ban everyone that advocates this 200-line patch.
i don't think that is necessary -_-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karam For This Useful Post: