Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hello guys.

Although I have been visiting this forum regularly since the release of the N900, I never took the initiative to register. But now, I think the time has come to do it.

As the title says, I managed to snap one off Ebay (for quite a bit of money). I can't describe the moment I finally got my hands on it. What would I say, the excitement, exhilaration and elation I have not experienced in a long time. It's the same thrilling feeling that I had when I drove a car for the first time of my life. I must say it's really the best phone+micropc out there(together with N9).

Although I was a Fedora user for quite some time and wrote my own shell-scripts to disable/enable an embedded hybrid gpu and many other stuff, I have to say I am a novice Linux user. I absolutely don't have the administrative skills that an experienced Linux geek has. But I'm learning C and Python to create some GTK and Qt applications/widgets - "coding", which is a different extent than administration - and wish to contribute to the community in the near future.

I really need some clarification first as I do have plenty of questions to ask because I missed the developments of the MeeGo/harmattan platform. Forgive me if questions are being asked that can be found in the forums by searching.

1) Is it right that the N9/950 is more restricted software-wise unlike the N900 because of that 'Aegis security framework'?

2) What does this Aegis security framework actually do with applications, sign them so they can be run on Harmattan? What about shell-scripts or what about applications that are not created with Qt. Can they be signed?

3) Is there a popular community repository for applications outside of the Nokia Store ( except this repo: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/)
Which one(s) would you recommend me?

4) What's the difference between the Open Kernel and Inception. If those are two different methods of relaxing/removing/disabling aegis, why are there people who run them both? Whats the point of running open kernel AND inception?

5) Can you flash the original firmware back (with aegis pre-installed) once you have flashed Open Kernel?

6) How is the GTK Compatibility on Harmattan since N9 is designed to run Qt applications? How does a GTK app on harmattan look like?

Please help me.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ariadeno; 2012-07-02 at 01:01.

1. Yes

3. Theres the rzr repo and apps for MeeGo

4. Open kernel disables aegis l, while inception circumventes it through holes. People who run both are wasting there time you only need one, I personally prefer the open kernel but each to there own

5. Yeah

6. Qt is QML + C++

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
1. Yes

3. Theres the rzr repo and apps for MeeGo

4. Open kernel disables aegis l, while inception circumventes it through holes. People who run both are wasting there time you only need one, I personally prefer the open kernel but each to there own

5. Yeah

6. Qt is QML + C++
5) Do you also know how to flash that open kernel with PR 1.2 beta (3.2012.02-6) on N950. Can I just use the n9 pr 1.1 patched kernel?

6) i already know it's mainly in c++ and mostly qml for the UI
Actually Qt = c++, java , python while GTK = C , C++, Python, Java
But I was asking how GTK apps run on Harmattan. Can they even run
On it?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
6) see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79229
Not sure how they look, though you should be able to theme it to look however you'd like.

The Following User Says Thank You to polarbear For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
5) Do you also know how to flash that open kernel with PR 1.2 beta (3.2012.02-6) on N950. Can I just use the n9 pr 1.1 patched kernel?

6) i already know it's mainly in c++ and mostly qml for the UI
Actually Qt = c++, java , python while GTK = C , C++, Python, Java
But I was asking how GTK apps run on Harmattan. Can they even run
On it?
theres whats it called, ermmm a new 1.2 patched kernel

http://maemo.cloud-7.de/HARM/N9/1.2/openmode-kernel/

the zimage is the new open kernel for 1.2, no need for inception. the only thing some packages need installing with

"Adding 'AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN=com.nokia.maemo' before dpkg fixes everything." -qole

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Also, be very gentle with it - quite a lot of them seem to have developed screen defects (expanding lines of dead pixels) after a minor knock/drop that then gets gradually worse with every bump. Nokia are nice and replace these devices for developers when the screen gets too bad, but you probably don't fall into that camp.

Also, I looked at eBay, because I'm a nosey parker ... a couple of N950s sold for €760 and £920 ... SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS!
If all the device programme people sold theirs and pooled their money, maybe we could buy (/ bribe someone to steal) Meltemi!

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Also, be very gentle with it - quite a lot of them seem to have developed screen defects (expanding lines of dead pixels) after a minor knock/drop that then gets gradually worse with every bump. Nokia are nice and replace these devices for developers when the screen gets too bad, but you probably don't fall into that camp.

Also, I looked at eBay, because I'm a nosey parker ... a couple of N950s sold for €760 and £920 ... SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS!
If all the device programme people sold theirs and pooled their money, maybe we could buy (/ bribe someone to steal) Meltemi!
No ****, sell 5 N950s and there would be enough money to fund maemo.org for a couple of years.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Nokia-N950-de...item4166bca37d 1136 EUR

One ponders how many N9s I could buy with that...

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Nokia-N950-de...item4166bca37d 1136 EUR
Madness...

I can´t find any Nokia N950 on ebay, but I would love to get one.
Does anybody know how many were manufactured?