My gmail which was working fine until this weekend stopped. When I try mail it times out and I am not getting any push messages.. Can anyone help? I got a 16 black N9.
\

X-

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ United States
Originally Posted by ifox View Post
My gmail which was working fine until this weekend stopped. When I try mail it times out and I am not getting any push messages.. Can anyone help? I got a 16 black N9.
\

X-
ifox, you're not alone! It's just that most people don't realize it. If you have setup GMail as MfE (Mail for Exchange,) it should work normally, that's cause it runs directly between the server and your phone, however if you setup GMail from Google accounts on the phone, then there's a Nokia sync server involved in between your phone and the GMail's server. Occasionally, Nokia does maintenance on this server (service goes out for a few minutes) and you loose your connection to the server. Just restart your phone, that'll solve your issue.

Sorry about beating around the bush, before giving the solution..

The Following User Says Thank You to amarkkassery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by amarkkassery View Post
ifox, you're not alone! It's just that most people don't realize it. If you have setup GMail as MfE (Mail for Exchange,) it should work normally, that's cause it runs directly between the server and your phone, however if you setup GMail from Google accounts on the phone, then there's a Nokia sync server involved in between your phone and the GMail's server. Occasionally, Nokia does maintenance on this server (service goes out for a few minutes) and you loose your connection to the server. Just restart your phone, that'll solve your issue.

Sorry about beating around the bush, before giving the solution..
I did restart but no good... tried at least three times

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ israel
I have a problem too with all my mails (yahoo,gmail,hotmail & 012smile)its not updating automatically unless I press the refresh button

Last edited by bwayne; 2011-12-05 at 20:07.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by amarkkassery View Post
however if you setup GMail from Google accounts on the phone, then there's a Nokia sync server involved in between your phone and the GMail's server. Occasionally, Nokia does maintenance on this server (service goes out for a few minutes) and you loose your connection to the server. Just restart your phone, that'll solve your issue.
Where did you see this explained, can you recall?

I did restart but no good... tried at least three times
iFox you need to set them up via MfE.
It sounds counter-intuitive but it works more reliably that way.
If you trawl this thread...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480
It's all explained by Sergey (Nokia dev).

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-05 at 23:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
Maybe two steps verification? google forced it for some 3rd part applications

^ Nah he's not getting authentication errors.
But iFox if you are getting login attempt failures, what reverpool mentioned could be your prob.
See an explanation here....
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=145

\

X-
Is it only your gmail that stops working, or is there other connectivity problems to the net?
I saw another bug in bug-tracker relating to all connectivity not working....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-06 at 01:58.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Atlanta
My Gmail also stopped working on my N9 over the weekend. No reboot/refresh helped it update. Now using MfE.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Guess I must be one of the lucky ones - I have my GMail set up directly on my device without going through MfE (for email).

I've had minor issues from time to time with email being delayed (but not just GMail) yet, by and large, it pushes email throughout the day and then backs off once I cross the "off-peak" time fence to every couple of hours.

My primary email account on the device is GMail, and mail gets sent without pain.