Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
Hmm, i'm in sort of a cell phone limbo and have been considering my next move. Android or Maemo or wait for Win Phone 7 but i need something NOW. Played with a Nexus 1 and liked it except for pitiful battery life and can't see screen when outside in sun.

N900 flew by my radar seeing as it's price has dropped a bit less than $400 but having been duped by my terrible experience with the N800 and N810 devices i might just hold off.

It would be nice if Nokia hadn't shut down their NYC store so i could go fondle it in person and see the good bad and ugly. If it's no different from the N800/N810 but with a phone slapped on top mainly, then i'll pass. The N800/N810 left such a bad taste in my mouth when i had them that i swore off Maemo. Looking at the app store, there's not much there at all.

What do do...
Well, I have seen dummy N900s at Fry's. You can see what it looks like physically in person but their slider is crap compared to the real thing

Unfortunately, there are no Fry's in NYC.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
Unfortunately, there are no Fry's in NYC.
There isn't one where I live, either - there just happened to be one in Woodland Hills, (L.A.) when I was there for business and saw the dummy devices they had (which also reminded me just how lovely the N97's flip-up slider is).

Guess i could always give it a try and sell it if it doesn't meet my standards.

Seeing as how you had a bad experience with the n800 and n810. I would not buy the N900. It's pretty much the same thing with a better GUI and a cell phone radio slapped in. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Seeing as how you had a bad experience with the n800 and n810. I would not buy the N900. It's pretty much the same thing with a better GUI and a cell phone radio slapped in. =P
Hmm, so the same sputtering on N800/810 when trying to play videos locally, random freezes and so forth, music not fluid, apps crash randomly, bla bla bla.

Stability-wise and O.S-wise the N900 is no different in experience from n800/810 aside from better GUI...that what you mean?

Hmm, i might hold off then.

Out of all those issues, the only one I've really had is apps crash randomly (though they are extras-devel apps). And the occasional freeze due to Mappero's early development.

There's not much of a point in getting the N900 unless it

a) has the hardware you really want or
b) you want to run desktop software like OpenOffice or
c) you feverishly want to support only open source for some reason

For me it's pretty much a and b.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Out of all those issues, the only one I've really had is apps crash randomly (though they are extras-devel apps). And the occasional freeze due to Mappero's early development.

There's not much of a point in getting the N900 unless it

a) has the hardware you really want or
b) you want to run desktop software like OpenOffice or
c) you feverishly want to support only open source for some reason

For me it's pretty much a and b.
Well thanks for all that. My search continues then.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Can we get this goddamn thread back on topic and look at the comparisons between phones. Tried to help by posting updated test results way back on the 1st page. People can feel free to do the same

Just a quick thing. Boosting my max CPU to 1Gz ups the Mflops of linpack to 11.3 average. Amazing the diff 50 Mhz can make.
Just reading up about benchmarking the n900,
with a view to comparison with Android systems,
and found this.
You said you ran linpack on the n900?
Searching in all the wrong places,
but perhaps you could point to where we could get this?
I found this:
http://www.netlib.org/benchmark/linpackjava/
- is this what you used?
Thanks...

Edit: Where is the Benchmark comparison thread?
ReEdit: found it - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=benchmark

Last edited by theonelaw; 2010-09-16 at 02:54. Reason: Found it

I think he compiled it himself

ref
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!