Notices

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Everyone, there's just a little longer of a delay. TrueJournals has been helping me get the .deb created and so thanks a million to him. As soon as I can get this ready, I'll let you know. Hopefully tomorrow. keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind and positive responses.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Ok, I seem to have a working deb file for the program. The icon does not show until a reboot happens though. I tried to add four small wav files to /media/mmc2/waves but that made the deb stop working.

The download is in the garage area listed in post #1.

Thanks again to TrueJournals for spelling some things out for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
I tried to add four small wav files to /media/mmc2/waves but that made the deb stop working.
This requires some trickery. If you get it into a proper debian source package (I guess even a py2deb one), I'd be happy to fix it up to do that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Cool App! I haven't had a chance to actually play around with it, but looks pretty slick especially for an initial release.
The icon does not show until a reboot happens though
I found this a while back and pushed into the flipclock postinst file, seemed to help with the icon stuff:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -r /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh ]; then
  source /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/dbus-send -a -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications
org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:"Updating icon cache" || true
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor || true
fi
Maintaining cross-platform compatibility is always cool, but just remember that you're probably missing out on some of the great features of the tablets. That being said, it's entirely possible to write an app that takes advantage of things like power savings, alarmD etc AND still functions normally on other OS's, you just have to be really cautious in your coding that's all.

We had the same type of issues and discussions while doing the FlipClock development, and in the end after rebuilding everything to fully take advantage of the Tablet-specific stuff (which makes a big difference in the performance and practicality of the app... see exp in a moment) I look back through the code now and find that to make it fully portable to a non-tablet OS again is actually quite simple to do... I just haven't had a reason to do it yet...

Some big points that you may/may not be aware of with an app like this (just from my experiences with FlipClock and related discussions):
1) Power management is IMPORTANT. Don't overlook this; don't ignore it; don't pretend that on a tablet it won't matter. Any app that has a clock and alarm functionality should either A) implement power management or B) make sure the user is aware of the possibility that the tablet will run out of juice if left on battery only over night with the app running. The first version of FC that we had drained a full battery in about 5-6 hours; the most recent version I've left running on my tablet for about 4-5 days without noticing any significant change in load between having the app on and not having anything running... this makes a big difference esp. when travelling or having alarms/etc.

2) AlarmD is your friend on the tablets. You don't have to rely on it, and for cross-platform compatibility you can always just have a little option to detect if it's there and do things normally if it's missing (I've got a config setting in FC for this, but detection will be in the next version); but it does give you some pretty awesome advantages; namely helps with the power consumption thing, and lets your app auto launch at alarm times.

Anyways, seems very cool! If you need some advice/help with anything drop me a line

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
I found this a while back and pushed into the flipclock postinst file, seemed to help with the icon stuff:
Yes, here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Ok, I seem to have a working deb file for the program. The icon does not show until a reboot happens though. I tried to add four small wav files to /media/mmc2/waves but that made the deb stop working.

The download is in the garage area listed in post #1.

Thanks again to TrueJournals for spelling some things out for me.
If you are talking about the application icon on the Navigation Bar, Task Switcher, etc. then you can add this line to the postinst script:

Code:
gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
...and that will update the cache.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Wowww.. Nice and polished app. I am all set to grab it as soon as the fix is available for directory structure.

Something to think about to be added at a later point (feature request) If you can find sounds of ocean, rain, forest, white noise, birds, then you can have option to play that sound whenever you go to sleep at a press of a button. A device for which people pay $$ to get it in store. something similar to http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...ry&prodtemp=t2

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Munk, with latest deb I get an icon in extras and a splash screen but then the splash screen disappears and no program has been opened. (And I'd rebooted before trying to launch the program.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tarangdadia View Post
Something to think about to be added at a later point (feature request) If you can find sounds of ocean, rain, forest, white noise, birds, then you can have option to play that sound whenever you go to sleep at a press of a button. A device for which people pay $$ to get it in store. something similar to http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...ry&prodtemp=t2
People have discussed this before, and I agree that the most interesting part of this app to me is the "Atmosphere" section. I'm curious to see how many sounds it has and how straightforward it will be to add new sounds (it looks pretty straightforward).

This looks great! I have waited so long for a good alarm clock for my n800, this seems to be it! I just installed the new .deb and all went fine, installation of the waves was easy, too.

A silly questions, though: How do I change the location to a European one? The location code taken from Accuweather.com looks like this: EUR|DE|GM011|DORTMUND. Am I missing the numeral code?

And a feature request, one that Maemo hasn't implemented to this day: Will I be able to choose a sound file AND THE VOLUME of the alam in a future version of Traveller? Maemo alarms blast so loud they distort my soundfiles!

Tags
atmosphere, horoscope, python, traveller, weather