Here is a link to an article about using Android phones to call each other when cell phone tower service is not available.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010308-1.html

Phones can be reached using their existing phone number.

I would love to see this on the N900.

That is AWESOME.
I always thought phones should have a function enabling them to work like walkie talkies...

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
perfect! i need something like that to talk to my paintball team

sound nice...but i dont expect it much. Android app turn the phone to a two way radio by using bluetooth signal or radio signal of the phone. it depends on how our developers can get somthings great out from the phone hardware. i think nokia phone hardware is the best in the market now. but they are suck with firmware and app support the phones. however the problem here is the range. look at the ridiculous pic on the web. they both are standing close and talk one the phone. come on dont make fun of us.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Witht he N900, would the bt or wifi radios be strong enough for that? (i don't think the GSM modem can be hacked like that without some hardcore reverse engineering, probably needs someone who sees rains of green asian characters)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Motorola iDEN handsets have been doing this for years, both handset to handset and through a functioning tower even though backhaul is down. Think hurricane or temporary field ops using just a COW towed in and set up within minutes.

Interesting yes, but these guys are reinventing the wheel a bit here. Also, most Androids are rather expensive and not very rugged. Besides what would you need all the smartphone overhead and battery suckage for in the remote outback, a game of Angry Birds?

In the words of Crocodile Dundee:

That's not a cell phone... This is a cell phone.
>> http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...=1&localeId=33

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
@OP in the article u posted they are using wifi , this can easily be done with any 2 devices that have wifi , they had to hack the phones because they are using android , else no hacking would be required , just setup an ad-hoc connection between 2 devices , and use a LAN chat client .
However , if you want to do this via GSM , there are devices deigned to do this by utilizing ISM band (like YoDude posted) , I don't know if the gsm module inside the n900 , is capable of operating at such frequencies , if it can then this can be done given an appropriate driver .

The Following User Says Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
@YoDude

Now that is an antenna-system Steve Jobs could learn something from!

Wonders about the cows` health, though, and what PETA is going to think of it...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
@YoDude

Now that is an antenna-system Steve Jobs could learn something from!

Wonders about the cows` health, though, and what PETA is going to think of it...
LOL

Cell On Wheels

BTW, a world wide logistics company I contract for requires I have one of those handsets available at all times because it is integral to their many emergency contingency plans that seem to be updated every freakin' day.

I threw it in my CIC that I keep in my vehicle...

Compliance In a Can

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-09-05 at 00:02.