Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Also, looking at http://meego.com/about/licensing-policy it seems they're going the Android route of licensing, GPL at the bottom, BSD above (ie: vendor can go proprietary at the top, and will...). Or maybe I'm over reacting..
OMG! Don't ever do this to me again. They're not "going the Android route". I hate permissive licenses, I love (L)GPL... and (L)GPL it will be with MeeGo.
The only thing that will probably be BSD is what they call the UX layer... basically the stuff that's closed now with Maemo. So we keep the truly open components and trade closed components for semi-open applications under a BSD style license. Seems to be acceptable, though not ideal.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Did Ari Jaaksi just state that Maemo 6/Meego would run on the n900?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Yeah, he's been listening. Good. In fact, this may make the N900 MORE interesting than before.
ok. how????

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Intel and Nokia believe that
Code:
MeEgo = Moblin + Maemo
but in fact it is
Code:
MeEGO = Moblin + Qt - Maemo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vintc View Post
mullf: I´m joking i´m afraid of. meego will need great programers and great apps and for maemo?? nothing?? it will be end of maemo, i hope not
Except for the fact that MeeGo is going to be based around Qt 4.6 which means pretty much anything written for it will be easy cross compiled to run on Maemo. Do people even read the releases?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
Did Ari Jaaksi just state that Maemo 6/Meego would run on the n900?
No, he did not.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
ok. how????
Bratag already answered. There's also the potential that MeeGo may run on the N900 (people have already posted about this elsewhere). There's a third reason and that is current owners overreact on all this confusion and uncertainty and abandon their N900s. I can buy one cheaply. Oh darn, I shouldn't have built up hope by stating some of the positives.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2010-02-15 at 22:16.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by dmj726 View Post
Given the switch to a fedora-based distro, how will this impact developers on debian based systems (of which there are many...)?
Good question. I'm a long time Debian user and atleast i am not going to install some other distro just to be able to develob for the MeeGo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miksuh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Yeah, he's been listening. Good. In fact, this may make the N900 MORE interesting than before.
Angry Birds is one of the many applications you can install to your N900 from the Ovi Store. This is what the developers of that entertaining game say: " In the first week that Angry Birds has been on the Ovi Store, it has been downloaded almost as many times as the iPhone version in six weeks. Given that most N900 users have not even used Ovi Store yet, we are confident that there will be many more downloads in the months to come, and are sure that the N900 version will be very profitable."
It is a fun game. But at this point its profitability is just a hair above zero since the ability to buy their level packs was taken down shortly after the Ovi Store went up. Unless I'm just not seeing them...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Let's look at the bright side: those who kept those Maemo Summit T-shirts are now suddenly in possession of very valuable collector items :-)
Psh, Maemo Summit. It's all about the old school, baby!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war