Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-N...r-108546.shtml

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archi...tendo-dsi.html

"Eventually, after clearing my wireless settings and re-entering them multiple times, I was able to get online both with the DSI shop and Opera. A bit frustrating, though.

Once I was on the Web, I found the browser functional, but certainly not something I'd want to use on a regular basis.

The low-res screen on the DSi is not well-suited for browsing many sites, and you have to scroll around a lot to see all the content on most sites.

And the browser doesn't support audio or video, so you can forget about YouTube.

Still, if you just want to surf through a handful of sites while killing five minutes, it's functional."

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, opera was/is available on the DS as well.

as for scrolling around pages, i could have sworn opera have some interesting reflow tech...

still, im amazed at how often it seems that without flash, the web is of limited use on a mobile device...

yet i keep finding myself reading all kinds of stuff on my N800, where i rarely turn on flash support.

i guess im using the web wrong somehow...

They sold a cartridge for the DS which allowed web browsing. If you even want to call it that-- it was AWFUL...

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So a co worker of mine has a had a DSI for a bit now (I live in Japan, it has been out longer than in the states) and I have been pretty impressed. Yeah the browser isn't the best, but hey, IT'S A GAMEBOY THAT YOU CAN GET ON THE INTERNET WITH!!

I remember when the Gameboy first came out. It was the size of a brick, weighed just as much, took 4 (I think) AA batteries and had no color. Things have come a long way since then . . . but you can still play tetris on it.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
It's a bit disappointing, at launch the browser is the only non game DSiWare application in North America. I'll be happy to have the sound player but really I'm just using it for games, was hoping to do the opposite and have many uses besides games. It was marketed as slimmer than the DS Lite so thought it would be really easy to carry around but feels about the same size and weight as the N800 (because it is), was expecting to be impressed at least on this point. Can only run one thing at a time so if you're playing a game you have to turn it off to run the browser, that surprised me because of all the talk about the new hot swapping feature. The battery lasts long because it's hard to play games without a break for nine hours, and instead of powering off it's designed for you to suspend it instead by just closing the screens together. Bought a $35, $20 and $15 game; plus Canadian tax, forgot how fast having to buy everything adds up! Can only hope it's successful enough to at least encourage more stylus devices around here

Overall it's good enough for me though, my complaints are generally things I don't care about and could have been looked up. The low resolution is occasionally an obvious and painful limit, but most of the games and apps don't have any problems with it. Should mention that you can't access PC images from your SD card, can only see ones taken via the DSi camera. The browser is only useful if you want to look something up without going to a computer, but these days that's all I need from my portable browser. It makes great use of the two screens, the touch keyboard is pretty accurate but can't go really fast because have to use stylus for it. Haven't checked out homebrew yet, shall see if/how that's doing in a couple months

No copy/paste :P

(Edit: I was wrong about not being able to draw on your pictures, I'll guess it was in the 1.3 launch update?)

Last edited by Jobester; 2009-05-04 at 07:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jobester For This Useful Post:
The same Opera browser was already on the original DS and DS Lite as an optional add-on, I'm not quite sure why people think it's a DSi thing.

The DSi seems too much of a stopgap to be worth bothering with. Games won't be able to depend on any of its extra features without breaking backwards compatibility, so they'll probably just have a few ephemeral novelty features which don't contribute anything to the game.

Even the DSi's WPA support is meaningless because it won't work with current DS games.

Tags
dsi, nintendo