Notices

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I am not apologizing for Nokia in the slightest. What I am suggesting is that people stop creating the same whining Goddamn threads over and friggin over again and take some responsibility for yourselves. You bought the device obviously right out of the gate. You could have waited several weeks and seen what shook out, but you didn't you wanted your toy NOW NOW NOW and you are paying the price for being a first adopter.

So either suck it up and try make the device better through contributing bug reports/brainstorms, sell it and GTFO and stop polluting the boards with pointless threads or keep the device and just STFU and stop polluting the boards with pointless threads
if every goddamn person waited several weeks, who the F will buy the device then?? Developers? or nokia employees?? or reviewers?? Anything u buy nowadays, u expect it to be fully in 100% working condition and with no/minimum bug..

if everyone Shuts the F up like u and complete bug forms all the time, what will Nokia employee do? read ur bug forms? or get on with it and make the goddamn thing work??

This is supposed to be a fully functional device, I / we are not testers, to report bugs to nokia..

and what the hell is a FORUM for?? to only please yourself with "ahh what a great device I have" "I will not replace it for years" "this is my laptop replacement" ??
If so, u can go to other threads and please yourself and GTF out of here if u dnt like

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
and what the hell is a FORUM for?? to only please yourself with "ahh what a great device I have" "I will not replace it for years" "this is my laptop replacement" ??
If so, u can go to other threads and please yourself and GTF out of here if u dnt like
The problem is not that people come here with a problem. (in fact the OP didn't bother me at all)

The problem is how they handle and address that problem. If they make a thread: "Hey, Why is XYZ Broke?" that's fine. Hell, even if it's already been talked about 30 times the user is generally forgiven for being new and someone like myself will link them to the other 30 threads that already exist with their problem.

Usually it ends in one of these categories: Already been fixed, will be fixed, isn't going to be fixed, is being looked at.

A sane normal fricking person should be like "Oh, ok.. well that sucks." And at this point they make the conscious decision to either return the device because it's a deal breaker, or keep the device to see what's coming.

What sane people should not be doing is making their bloody mission in life to plague the forums in every thread screaming how much the N900 sucks because XYZ doesn't work.

To defend such actions is just ... insanity to me. Unbelievable insanity.

Valid, honest to god complaints are one thing.. ranting - raving and whining are something completely different. Bratag looks to me like he tried clarifying that within the second sentence of his post.

What I am suggesting is that people stop creating the same whining Goddamn threads over and friggin over again and take some responsibility for yourselves.
What you *shouldn't* do.. is create thread, after thread, after thread, of the *same* thing, just to repeat for everyone to see in a new location that you think the N900 sucks. WE GET IT.. move along now.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The problem is not that people come here with a problem. (in fact the OP didn't bother me at all)

The problem is how they handle and address that problem. If they make a thread: "Hey, Why is XYZ Broke?" that's fine. Hell, even if it's already been talked about 30 times the user is generally forgiven for being new and someone like myself will link them to the other 30 threads that already exist with their problem.

Usually it ends in one of these categories: Already been fixed, will be fixed, isn't going to be fixed, is being looked at.

A sane normal fricking person should be like "Oh, ok.. well that sucks." And at this point they make the conscious decision to either return the device because it's a deal breaker, or keep the device to see what's coming.

What sane people should not be doing is making their bloody mission in life to plague the forums in every thread screaming how much the N900 sucks because XYZ doesn't work.

To defend such actions is just ... insanity to me. Unbelievable insanity.

Valid, honest to god complaints are one thing.. ranting - raving and whining are something completely different. Bratag looks to me like he tried clarifying that within the second sentence of his post.

What you *shouldn't* do.. is create thread, after thread, after thread, of the *same* thing, just to repeat for everyone to see in a new location that you think the N900 sucks. WE GET IT.. move along now.

yes definitely thats wrong to create similar threads over and over again... I personally love the device. although its not perfect ....

what I have been seeing everywhere is that a lot of people think that nobody can complain if they find something wrong or dont like something about the device..... ( I dont know about the op / this specific thread)....

what I have been seeing everywhere is that a lot of people think that nobody can complain if they find something wrong or dont like something about the device..... ( I dont know about the op / this specific thread)....
I admit that I've seen an increase of this type of mentality. I, myself sometimes suffer from it.

I think it's largely due to the fact that people get tired of seeing the same thing, over and over again - and sometimes we forget to look at who is asking the question.

A new person to the forums can be forgiven... after complaining about something a dozen different times in a dozen different locations... I start to become less and less forgiving.

Normally I would have avoided this thread completely.. but when I saw who Bratag was responding too - and a bunch of people jump on Bratag for it... I'm sorry - but that guy brings it on himself.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Until it has folder view, I probably won't use it... tags aren't always the best way to organize data.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bay area ca
People get frustrated and post their anger because the device does not do as it has been advertised. Rushing the half baked device is the reason for this. Open source is not answer to the woes of the N900. You use open source to enhance the inherent functionality of the device. What Nokia has thrown in the market is a device with unfinished thought and thinking.There was lot of Hype on N900 and lot of people wanted to change from iphone etc to the new device which on paper looked great and lot of people fell for that. However the bar was set high by iphone or similar devices and when they start using N900 , after the initial jubilation of owning a fantastic hardware the realization start sinking in that this device needs 3 to 4 software revs before it can be useful. Some people have patience to wait this out some people do not have and hence the frustration comes out. This device is diamond in rough. IT is upto Nokia and not mameo forum to make this polished device and frankly Nokia's commitment to continue development of symbian and mameo together is really questionable in long term and this period uncertanity will hurt mameo platform more than Symbian.
I am still holding on to N900 for next rev of software and then will decide to keep it or go back to Nexus/Iphone land again. Because if they do not fix the issues mentioned in the mameo forum for N900 then it is pointless to keep this device for just phone function. This is humble opinion.
Thanks for reading.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabuff For This Useful Post:
I would imagine it's more the tone and substance of the complaint than anything else. Going through this thread, one sees on the one hand angry rants about the media player sucking for pretty vague reasons, and on the other hand specific complaints about what is not perceived to work properly or what desired features are missing. The first is guaranteed to create a 100 post scream-fest, the later very likely will barely be objected to, even if the same user is creating multiple threads on the same or similar topics.

For me, the media player works perfectly fine, even though it's a fairly barebones app. I also spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the library on my PC and tagging media files so it would display properly, but it's a minor price to pay. It was a mess anyway.

The only aspect I don't like is that the audio stream player skips to the next stream if the stream interrupts. Plus the edit and delete stream buttons need to be made more obvious instead of hidden.

I don't have an Ipod or other dedicated media-player, so I can't compare, but to me the audio is excellent regardless of the music style (though admittedly hip hop sounds probably just as atrocious on the N900 as on any other media device). And I'm using my N900 hours every day especially for that purpose.

I tested opening heavy websites like the WashingtonPost.com while streaming audio over the same WLAN and there's no stuttering whatsoever. When I call my own phone, the music simply stops properly and the incoming call audio starts playing. When I reject the call or end the call, the music simply continues. All quite unlike what some others in this thread claim to experience. Then again, that probably makes me a Nokia apologist in the eyes of some.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
I love this phone - truly - I mean, look at my stupid username. But the media player is crap.

Can a computer genius explain to me why the media player is so skittish?

When I'm listening to music, it seems as if the media player has gobbled all the RAM and when an email/SMS/phone call happens, it's like a mini-earthquake in the phone. The 'new email' tone is cut off in the beginning, the music stutters. It's all very sad. It feels like the entire operation is a delicate house of cards.

The 'Now Playing' interface is completely uninspiring.

My DivX and xVid videos never play completely smoothly - they always seem to be somewhere around 20fps.

And, as someone else pointed out, the media player doesn't pause the music when a phone call comes in - how stupid is that??

It sucks because I was excited to ditch my N810, Blackberry and Cowon S9 for one device. And yes, it does all work, but shouldn't it work well?

So, can someone explain, in layman's terms, why the media player is such a resource hog. And is it fixable? And, if not, where the heck is Canola to save us from this mess?

I
I think N900 has issue with audio multiplexing, it seems very like only one process can play the audio at a time instead of mutliple sound source can be multiplexed to gether, so causing cut off of playing audio

i just noticed this problem..... did u all mean that the music player recognises only the songs in the "Automatic playlist" and not in the "imported"/?? as from "albums", everything seems to be ok....

is there no aftermarket media player for it???

oops... my song paused and the "battery low" sound came... it didnt resume the music ....

As far as I'm concerned, the mediaplayer isn't that closed. The open source mafw plugins are doing most of the work. I've posted this elsewhere, but here seems appropriate also.

At the moment, it's about 20 lines of code to throw this front end on the very ugly mafw-test-gui. This community could replicate and move way beyond the mediaplayer in a month. That would include stuff like Pandora and mpd support. And I'm probably being conservative. It might be a good time to consolidate.

Name:  Screenshot-20100210-204018.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  19.7 KB

I'll post a diff file over the next few days if anyone wants to play around. It's a working audio player. Videos are sound only at the moment; Nokia didn't bother to send the video to the screen, but that's generally a simple fix when using gstreamer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
waiting impatiently