1. Can the n810 take pictures like a camera? what about video chat? and when I try to do internet calling from n810 to contacts on Gmail it doesn't work, why is that?

2. What's the best programs for maps and driving routes? I'm used to Google maps to the more similar to that the better.

3. Can you upgrade the internal storage? either the device memory or internal memory card, or both?

4. Can you customize the startup nokia picture?

5. How do you make the n810 automatically connect to trusted WPA WLAN?

6. How do I convert videos to n810 format? I tried the Media Converter but when I open it a bland command window flashes for a second then nothing happens. I'm using Vista x64 SP1. Is there any program that's specifically made for converting medias to n810?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
1. I use knips which uses the center button of the Dpad for a shutter release. For self portraits it's great but when facing the camera to the world you loose your viewfinder. Needles to aiming the camera is a bit tricky but still posible with practice.

2. I love Maemo Mapper which will use the Google maps. Check my HowTo.

3. The only memory expansion is with the external miniSD card or via a USB connected memory stick or card reader.

4. Chances are yes but I don't know how.

5. The tablet will favor connection to configured WAN devices. Mine automatically roams between Starbuck and my home WiFi. In the control panel there are connectivity preferences. Open it and select the connections button.

6. Tablet-encode is available for Linux users. I think it's written in Python and may run in the Windows worls. Search this forum for "tablet-encode".
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
For #3, you might look at http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25714. Generally, most your questions are answered already if you google with the link I provide in my signature (like about the startup picture, converting videos, etc.) Also, check the wiki, which, for example, goes in detail into the movie conversion.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
i just tried the camera programs and found out that the n810 is not a camera replacement heh. even the camera on my phone is better. i guess i'll just forget about using it as a camera then.

for #3 im asking if it's good to try to make the internal memory bigger so that it'll run faster, or able to handle more programs, like putting bigger RAMs in a computer.

#5 is solved now. Thanks.

so Media Converter is not supported on Windows eh? What's the closet thing to it then? I've tried Vio Video Converter but it doesn't have n810 in the option. Is there a converter just for n810?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I've seen a solution to #4 posted on the forum within the past few months. Just do a little searching.

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
I've seen a solution to #4 posted on the forum within the past few months. Just do a little searching.
ya got it here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...2&postcount=20

meh im too lazy to do all that lol. they should just make it a option in the settings or something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragoon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I gave you a thanks for doing the work in finding that^...

Give the other stuff a try after awhile...

You will be surprised how easy it is. Learning these steps, opens up a lot of possibilities with your tablet. BTW, "becomeroot" from the app installer is no longer available, rootsh is though and I'm told it does the same thing.

Also, I agree, the camera does blow chunks...
However, I found that if I use BT from my phone to push pictures to my tablet, pictures from my phone become more useful for me. I can send them as attachments to regular e-mail instead of MMS from the phone. They also look better on the larger screen.

ok i played around with maemo mapper. How do I make the map always North side up?

I also got the clock synchronizer from http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3&postcount=16 but it doesn't sync. do i have to leave it on GPS for a period of time or what?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Menu-> View-> Rotate-> Reset. North will now always point to the top of the screen. It will sync only while you have a GPS lock. In a terminal run:

cat /var/log/gps-clockd.log

You'll see time adjustments and reports of time to lock.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Hmm, that question #1 looks familar... funny how it pops up again and again because the marketing of the feature is totally misleading...

You can't video chat/internet call to people in Google Talk unless they are also using an N810/N800. You'd need to install Gizmo and have the other person on their PC desktop use Gizmo to video chat the way you're thinking.

You could internet call using SIP in OS2008 (I believe that is out of the box, yes), but that isn't compatible with Google's voice chat, it's more of a protocol for office VOIP.