Active Topics

Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
"mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"

Where are the commands to install the build files to a HTC Hero, Motorolo Milestone or some other xxx xxx?
I'm sorry... You were saying?

I agree that Maemo is (was?) limited by the binary blobs but MeeGo is not - the closed parts for the N900 needed by MeeGo are now redistributable. MeeGo is much like android in that regard, an open OS but closed parts for hardware. It should be quite easily possible to "cook" MeeGo flashes for devices just as Android.

Hell.. people already have it booting on a Nexus One.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mohannad View Post
Did he just compare a $50 phone to a smartphone?!! AND he is labeling Nokia as the "$50 handsets" manufacturer! This guy needs to get shot!
well, his interpretation of smartphone is limited to what the iphone does.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Try reading just Jobs' quotes and ignore the writer's mistaken remarks.

@mohannad: he's saying they want to stick to making smartphones, and they can't sell those for $50.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-10-19 at 14:42.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Try reading just Jobs' quotes and ignore the writer's mistaken remarks.
Read the whole article and nothing really seems mistaken.

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Read the whole article and nothing really seems mistaken.
Where does it specifically mention open and closed source, other than the author's interpretation of Jobs' vague remark?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Why is it that whenever Jobs talks, I hear the "...lack of faith disturbing." - D Vader quote, as well as Vader's Theme music?

Hmmm.... Darth Jobs...... Steve Vader.....

.....why can't I catch my breath?.... gasp....gasp.....thud.....

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Where does it specifically mention open and closed source, other than the author's interpretation of Jobs' vague remark?
Specifically? Right here:

"Google loves to characterize Android as open, and iOS and iPhone as closed," Jobs said. "We find this a bit disingenuous and clouding the differences between our two approaches."

While Jobs isn't wrong at all about Android, there is a vast difference between open/closed and fragmented/integrated. I fully agree that integrated is generally better because the manufacturer can tailor the software to the hardware, rather than vice versa, but that has no impact on its openness. Maemo isn't fragmented because it's Nokia specific, but it's still open
Is there any way that could make meego not ending up fragmented or will it have the same problems as android as there is no solution to it?

Specifically? Right here:

"Google loves to characterize Android as open, and iOS and iPhone as closed," Jobs said. "We find this a bit disingenuous and clouding the differences between our two approaches."
Can't be too subtle can I?
Where does it specifically say open and closed source?
Is there only 1 interpretation to the terms 'open' vs 'closed' in the context of platforms?

Even google (forgot whom) alluded to themselves as 'more open than ios', without any specifics.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
While Jobs isn't wrong at all about Android, there is a vast difference between open/closed and fragmented/integrated. I fully agree that integrated is generally better because the manufacturer can tailor the software to the hardware, rather than vice versa, but that has no impact on its openness. Maemo isn't fragmented because it's Nokia specific, but it's still open
The thread title should read, "Steve Jobs Dodges Open/Closed Question to Talk About Fragtmentation."

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post: