Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
Haha, if you can page file somewhere else. And don't have open any files from the disk. No.
Page file/ swap space is not essential, you could use the memory for the same purpose, like in the old days

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Most live CDs support to load all data into the RAM before starting the OS. So it wouldn't matter if you take the CD out of the drive while the OS is running.
To enable this feature you have to add the kernel boot option 'toram'.
That option was broken in some Ubuntu releases. I think it is fixed now, but I'm not sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
The infamous Click of Death , as the name suggests, indicates your HDD is on it's last days, backup everything important ASAP and start looking for a replacement.

Somtimes HDDs click but manage to recover, but the system not crashing isn't a sign everything is ok, you just got lucky the HDD isn't dead yet, it is just a matter of time before you can't use it anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Yep. Get a replacement drive immediately. I had this once, and while managed to copy everything i still ****ed up. But that's another story.