Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
If Apple names it new iPhone Maemo 746 will MWKN also feature it?

C'mon, I don't care how it was "rebranded". It's still not interesting for Maemo users.

/Estel
I agree. But things will get a lot worse when meego.com closes. Nokia are set to dump all the Harmattan stuff on to maemo.org.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
No. Same rules apply. You get the booby prize - a free N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
On the other hand, I wonder if MWKN should still be called "Maemo". It's rather "Harmattan Weekly News", or "Nokia Disruptive(tm) weekly news". i.e. less and less interesting material to read for non-harmattanish people.

It's even more upsetting, when You consider amazing momentum, that Fremantle have now (CSSU and KP whirlwind of development, to name a few). It seems, that MWKN editor just fail to follow all this innovative things, concentrating on harmattan boredom.

/Estel
If you feel that something is worthy of inclusion in MWKN, tweet a link to @mwkn and the editors will include it in the next edition. More details here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Weekly_News#Implementation

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 369 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ituzaingo, Argentina
Innovation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by Harick View Post
Innovation

I loved that NOKIA! I never missed a call with it...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
On the other hand, I wonder if MWKN should still be called "Maemo". It's rather "Harmattan Weekly News", or "Nokia Disruptive(tm) weekly news". i.e. less and less interesting material to read for non-harmattanish people.

It's even more upsetting, when You consider amazing momentum, that Fremantle have now (CSSU and KP whirlwind of development, to name a few). It seems, that MWKN editor just fail to follow all this innovative things, concentrating on harmattan boredom.

/Estel
MWKN is made up of -your- contributions, please see

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mwkn

I could probably complain about the lack of Mer news when there's quite a lot of it, but that's our own fault for not contributing content.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
MWKN is made up of -your- contributions, please see

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mwkn

I could probably complain about the lack of Mer news when there's quite a lot of it, but that's our own fault for not contributing content.
I for one would like to see more Mer/Nemo news in MKWN, especially relating to the N900.

Had to rebuild my N900 this week after it went to Nokia, and was surprised that some of the Apps I had are no longer easily available. To be fair it was mostly stuff like Pixelpipe uploaders and Sygic mobile maps 10 (which I bought!)- The companies pull the plug, and the product is lost.

A lot of dev work is going into harmattan, and if they can work on Mer on the N900, then this could keep the platform alive for even longer...

Do appreciate and look forward to MKWN btw. Usually summat in I've missed.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
It is really strange this "Qt Innovation Challenge", with US$250,000 for 21 software developers :
- it was an exclusive private challenge;
- which is a lot more than 300 Nokia N950 for developers in June - August 2011 and the MeeGo 2011 competition prizes;
- that money would be enough to give about 500 Nokia N9, for example;
- some of the softwares are totally disconnected to innovation.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
It is really strange this "Qt Innovation Challenge", with US$250,000 for 21 software developers :
- it was an exclusive private challenge;
- which is a lot more than 300 Nokia N950 for developers in June - August 2011 and the MeeGo 2011 competition prizes;
- that money would be enough to give about 500 Nokia N9, for example;
- some of the softwares are totally disconnected to innovation.
I think all Launchpad members were invited to participate, so it wasn't that exclusive. The competition name was misleading as the only criteria used to determine the winners was the number of downloads. A flashlight application always had a great chance of winning because it's something that a lot of people will use.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
No. You have to use Qt.
So use Qt correctly Qt has QProcess

Code:
#include <QCoreApplication>
#include <QProcess>

int main(argc, char *argv[])
{
QCoreApplication app(argc, argv); QProcess::execute("gst-launch v4l2src ! filesink location=/dev/null"); return app.exec();
}

Tags
mwkn_issue, news_digest