Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
I use WinSCP at the mo, if i do it as said up above will my N900 show up in My Computer as the drive? And work like e.g my computers C drive? Meaning i just goto my computer, double click n900 drive to open it to view all directories and edit etc so i can access my n900 via my comp instead of a 3rd party app? Thanx
no, it wont show up in "my computer".
but you will be able to access it as if it would be a drive thats listed in "my computer", its just that you access it through winscp, not through the windows explorer.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by msa View Post
no, it wont show up in "my computer".
but you will be able to access it as if it would be a drive thats listed in "my computer", its just that you access it through winscp, not through the windows explorer.
You should read his question again carefully. He was not asking about winscp.

The Program mounts the N900 file system in Windows as a "Hard Drive" with whatever drive letter you assign to it. It does this with SFTP over SSH and creates the Virtual drive.

If you want to edit a file, you open the drive letter, in my case N: for N900. You then double click on the file, if it is a doc file, Word opens, you edit the file and hit save and close, and you're done, just like it was in Windows.

If Windows does not know which program to open, it asks you to pick a program. You don't have to learn Vi. No Terminal windows.

You can Right Click, cut -n- past, drag -n- drop, etc. And use all the tools you are used to.

This is the reason I posted this here. A lot of people have problem juggling all the things they need to do to change icons, or edit config files. This makes it a no brainer of you can work Windows.

Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
I use WinSCP at the mo, if i do it as said up above will my N900 show up in My Computer as the drive? And work like e.g my computers C drive? Meaning i just goto my computer, double click n900 drive to open it to view all directories and edit etc so i can access my n900 via my comp instead of a 3rd party app? Thanx
please read my post above this one, it answers your questions.

I ended up using Netdrive on Win 7 32 and Webdrive on Win 7 x64

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Wow, this is awesome, especially the TC plugin(since I use it most of the time at my computer). I forgot that TC needed a restart before the options would show up though, or I might just be blind
Oh well, working good right now.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-03-23 at 21:14.

Thanks for this thread - my N: looks very nice in explorer now.

A question about the speed: I get something like 300 kBytes/s when copying files from/to N900. It's damn slow! Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Originally Posted by petibub View Post
Thanks for this thread - my N: looks very nice in explorer now.

A question about the speed: I get something like 300 kBytes/s when copying files from/to N900. It's damn slow! Is this normal, or am I missing something?
It's not going to be a speed demon for sure. It still has to do ssh and sftp. If I want to transfer large amounts, I plugin via the USB port. Smaller amounts this is perfect.

Hit the thanx button if any of this was any use to you!

Found another piece of SW for doing this that has good reviews:

http://www.expandrive.com/windows/

Not Free, but cheaper than WebDrive and rated as highly.

I really like Webdrive. Not buggy and works well. I have two connections setup, one for the Real Root Dir and one for MyDocs. Can mount them both as different drive letters!

word of warning on NetDrive - I've found that it doesn't handle files/folders on WinXP with embedded spaces in the name very well - eg a folder "A test folder" containing "test file 1.txt" and "test_file_2.txt" on XP.

If I drag & drop that folder to n900 using the netDrive N: mapping I get the XP graphic for copy in progress but the netDrive pops up a message from the system tray saying "remote file not found". The copy operation on XP appears to complete (I end up with a folder "test folder" highlighted on the n900 window) - but if I refresh that window, the folder now shows just as "test" and has no contents in it.

If I highlight the folder and select "copy" manually form a right click, same thing happens (except the new folder on n900 is immediately visible as "test" without a refresh).

If you copy a folder that doesn't have embedded spaces (but contains files that DO) - eg. rename "test flfer" above as "test" - the operation succeeds ok, however you can't rename or delete "test file 1.txt" via XP's explorer window, netDrive gives "quote command returned error". Seems to me like the s/w is trying to put quotes around problematic DOS filenames, but is doing it unsuccessfully under some circumatances?

Still a very useful solution for drag & drop if you have well behaved folder/filenames, but unless there is a work around (and the NetDrive support forum is a tumbleweed repository!) then you should pay attention to the pop-ups (they're easily missed as they don't grab focus) and check results of all operations to ensure that they have done what you asked (like I said, it can appear to have worked OK until you do a window refresh ...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
word of warning on NetDrive - I've found that it doesn't handle files/folders on WinXP with embedded spaces in the name very well - eg a folder "A test folder" containing "test file 1.txt" and "test_file_2.txt" on XP.

If I drag & drop that folder to n900 using the netDrive N: mapping I get the XP graphic for copy in progress but the netDrive pops up a message from the system tray saying "remote file not found". The copy operation on XP appears to complete (I end up with a folder "test folder" highlighted on the n900 window) - but if I refresh that window, the folder now shows just as "test" and has no contents in it.

If I highlight the folder and select "copy" manually form a right click, same thing happens (except the new folder on n900 is immediately visible as "test" without a refresh).

If you copy a folder that doesn't have embedded spaces (but contains files that DO) - eg. rename "test flfer" above as "test" - the operation succeeds ok, however you can't rename or delete "test file 1.txt" via XP's explorer window, netDrive gives "quote command returned error". Seems to me like the s/w is trying to put quotes around problematic DOS filenames, but is doing it unsuccessfully under some circumatances?

Still a very useful solution for drag & drop if you have well behaved folder/filenames, but unless there is a work around (and the NetDrive support forum is a tumbleweed repository!) then you should pay attention to the pop-ups (they're easily missed as they don't grab focus) and check results of all operations to ensure that they have done what you asked (like I said, it can appear to have worked OK until you do a window refresh ...)
Thanx for that. I had some strange behavior but didn't notice that pattern. I have started using webdrive and it does not seem to have any of these issues. It is not freeware though, unfortunately.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
Thanks very much for this, found a torrent of webdrive as I'm on Win7 64bit and works flawlessly.

+1