Notices

Thank you for this lxp. Made the donation, hope to get the links soon.. ..

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
No. Dickish, but might not be really illegal is a description of lxp and whoever did download from him and did not upload the source to a publicly available place (or at leaset send the source to power kernel maintainer, so he can include it).
I sorta see your point, but didn't he say just a page or two ago that he's pushed his patches upstream, and that he did say that he's trying to get Titan to include the cfg80211 to the slightly-altered included power kernel.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=41
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=50

I agree, it's not ideal. I also think lxp has made it pretty obvious he doesn't like the idea of forcing donations in the long run. But he also made this thing for a project he was promised a large sum of money for, and he could have easily just tossed away the code after NeoPwn didn't pay him, and not bothered to release it. Yet he did, after spending extra time fixing up even more issues.

My opinion on it, is that asking for a forced donation is an acceptable (tough not ideal) move in a perfect world where everyone has enough money, and means to conveniently deliver it to the person being 'donated' to. This isn't a perfect world through, and just as someone understanding of psychology and sociology, I know that sometime soon, someone will post this stuff up publicly. People did it for NeoPwn2 and they'll do it here. However, where-as with NeoPwn2 it was sorta more understandable, because NeoPwn2 didn't give the source code out, or anything else. The NeoPwn2 project was one you HAD to use as was, and rely on the dev for future improvements. Lxp, however, is offering the source with the donation, and unlike NeoPwn2's 40$, this is anything you can / choose to pay, for both the precompiled binaries and the sources. He is also pushing the source upstream, which, if I understand the way these open source code/garage/repository/submitting-contributions thingies works, means you can find where-ever wl1251 development happens, and SEE the source code lxp submitted.

My personal opinion is that while it may not be exactly the best thing to do to force donations, it's also not in the completely positive to just post this up elsewhere, because unlike NeoPwn2, this is a lot closer to typical open-source (and still fits within the constraints of legal GPL stuff.)

But from the standpoint of someone well versed in psychology, sociology, and history, my suggestion to lxp is to just switch to the non-forced-donation approach. Or the result will be similar to the NeoPwn one in the long-run. Someone else will eventually post this online - it might not be any better than forcing donations in the first place; in fact they're about the same in my eyes - and if someone else does it before you, lxp, do, then the majority of the users will be anal about it and skip donating entirely. The end result is similar - those of us who wish to donate will - you'll get a couple like me who care about injection enough that the priority of donating vs. saving money jumps up enough to do it now (where-as I wait for some of my other eventually-intended donations) - but for the most part, you'll have the same amount of people donating, as not. The only difference is, at the end of the day, you're either the person who accepted that the result is going to be unfair for you either way, and went with the more ethical choice for everyone else in spite of that, or you tried to get the fair result for yourself, only to have the not ethically ideal masses of the not ethically ideal world react against you.

I think in the short run, it's a hard decision to make because in the upcoming couple of weeks, you're likely to get more donations than you would have gotten from just releasing it. In the long run however, the likelyhood is, total donations, and total goodwill from the mob I suspect may arise on this thread, much like it did on the NeoPwn2 one, will be a lot less.

I'm not saying it's right that circumstances should cut you out of the money you were promised when making this project originally, and as far as I'm concerned, everyone should donate regardless (out of their own altruism - which they should have - not because it's right for them to pay for the failure of others to pay). You know where I stand - I donated, not sure if it was more or less than the average amount people give; I'm not privy to what the norm for such projects is - but it was enough that I had to use some willpower to part with it.

*Shrug* IDK, just my slightly-more-than-two cents on the subject. Things might work out better here, because you, lxp, have a better reputation on this forum, and are keeping a much more open project running, than the NeoPwn2 project was. I hope so. In a world where money is a necessity for survival, you certainly deserve some for the time put in to developing this (so did NeoPwn2's dev, unfortunately, but things worked out even more poorly there).

I think, sadly, the harder-to-accept-for-oneself-as-a-money-needing-student choice is the better one, both for you in the long run, and for all those right now who can't donate even though they would like to due to lack of compatibility with paypal, or a lack of expendable funds, etc. I would like to think, but unfortunately know it probably won't happen, that you would recoup all of the costs promised by NeoPwn2 for this work.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I have bee following the neopwn-debacle closely albeit from the side line. Luckiliy I ran into the thread on that project late enough not to have donated but I would love to have packet injection included. Another Nokia fail, I guess...

That being said, I must admit that my initial reaction was quite cynical when I read this thread, yesterday. Yes, I understand you need the money and yes I understand the frustration with Neopwn, but I do have some problems with your argumentation towards the forced donation. After all, your problem with Neopwn is between you and Neopwn. And your relation with your new userbase has nothing to do with Neopwn, really. So to combine these two things is not a reasonable line of thought, I believe. But thatīs not the point I wanted to share.

So, I will not download your driver (or get it from someone else), as I am "in between jobs" and there for not able to donate, apart from the principal issue I have, as mentioned above. But I do respect your efforts. Normally I have no moral problems taking what I need for free (within certain limits), but this time I will wait to use PI untill this driver becomes available in the free domain.

Thanks for your efforts.

I haven't donated yet since I'm not sure if I really need this driver; I can see all the benefits and the fun, but I can see (as proven here already) the potential problems.

It is like being in a hamburger restaurant; I know that if I want that burger I can donate my money to the cashier and get the hamburger. Or I can go home and do it by myself. My friends could come in also and might even donate me something for having such a tasty burger. Or they might not.

The first case is clearly a business with all the responsibilities; ie. I can have my money back if the burger is not what I ordered.

What I mean is that even though being under GPL, when done this way, this is bying a service / driver. To give the customer the freedom to set the price does not change the fact.

But it is admirable that you are wiling to share this freely (eventually) with everyone!

I believe the best thing to do in a situation like this is for the council to set up a fund for donations. Then we could have a bounty system for community sponsored work and software requests...
Thanks again lxp for contributing to Maemo/Meego and promising to try to incorporate your changes upstream!!!! :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
THANKS @t LXP that worked, before i searched the web but didnt found a download for the package, that helped.

@t the guys who dont want donate.come on dont be silly give it a shot this dont hurt anyone. it was x-mas you have money and you can supporting the man for his hard work! when you dont want donate please take your time and make some code on your own and spent all your freetime!!!!!!! for that so please dont be so rediculus this man is a awsome person how can make that possible it cant be true you all so angry. this man is not neopwn he will give you the link right after your donation.

Originally Posted by handyspacko View Post
THANKS @t LXP that worked, before i searched the web but didnt found a download for the package, that helped.

@t the guys who dont want donate.come on dont be silly give it a shot this dont hurt anyone. it was x-mas you have money and you can supporting the man for his hard work! when you dont want donate please take your time and make some code on your own and spent all your freetime!!!!!!! for that so please dont be so rediculus this man is a awsome person how can make that possible it cant be true you all so angry. this man is not neopwn he will give you the link right after your donation.
i want to donate but i dont have a paypal account. infact paypal is not available in my country. what the f**k do i do?? i need this driver badly

The Following User Says Thank You to dekin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Could you please give a clearer description of what your package does, and what you (the community) could use it for? Therefore, meaning the value for end users/ slightly novice users like me. Packet injection is what you mentioned, what my guessing is, it is useful for getting a wifi password or something?

I am interested in this, if this can finally make my school's WPA+EAP (PEAP) connection stable, and able to autoconnect just like my other wifi access points.

I am sure I am not the only one who is unsure of what this package can do for us, you might get more customers

Hi lxp,

I have donated (more of a "thank you" for the work you've done than because I personally need this)

Do you have any plans of making it free/gratis after you receive a certain amount of donations? You don't have to tell us what your minimum amount is; just wondering what your plans are

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Also, I think I'm the first one who's mentioned this on this thread, so:

I get the following error when running the kernel-power-flasher-....deb part of the install:

Code:
>>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 72 <<<
/etc/sudoers.d/hildon-input-method-configurator.sudoers changes break sudoers
dpkg: error processing kernel-power-flasher (--install):
 subprocess post-installations script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kernel-power-flasher
The file in the above error, hildon-input-method-configurator.sudoers contains this (I don't know what it's supposed to contain or was to contain before, and in all my time seeing people talk about problems on this forum, I've never seen this kind of bug crop up):
Code:
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hildon-input-method-configurator.bin
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/touch /etc/hildon-input-method.configured
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/rm /etc/hildon-input-method.configured
The feedback dpkg printed out while installing it indicated that the flashing itself went fine. Just this last ending part seems to have triggered an error. I'm hoping someone technically knowledgeable can at least point me in the right direct - I don't mind figuring out problems on my own, but I don't really know where to go right now. (Looking for the post install stuff in the flasher right now, hopefully it will explain something.)

Main question is, are these errors perfectly fine and worth ignoring, or will the N900 be bricked if I reboot? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to point out what the issue is.
I haven't seen this problem before. My /etc/sudoers.d/hildon-input-method-configurator.sudoers also contains exactly the same. Maybe the problem doesn't lie in this file directly. Have you checked the /etc/sudoers file on line 72 or some lines before?
The problem seems to pop up, when the postinst script executes update-sudoers, so you may get the same error when you execute it manually. Moreover update-sudoers is a shell script so you can simply look at the source at /usr/sbin/update-sudoers.
Looking in it shows that it executes visudo -c after every file it adds to the new combined sudoers file (temp file). So you may check your sudoers.d files manually by executing:
Code:
ls -1 /etc/sudoers.d/* | xargs -n1 visudo -c -f
I should note that this command also shows syntax errors on my phone, so maybe it is not the best way to check each file on its own.
The sudoers syntax is described in its detail in the man page. I could recommend to take a look at the examples chapter nearly the end of the man page.
I have no direct solution to your problem, but I hope I could point you in the right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to lxp For This Useful Post:

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251