Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
Unfortunately for N9 owners, their hardware is quite closed.
Nemo runs fine on the N9: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nem...lling#Nokia_N9

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I don't seethe need for topmost SoC in Jolla future device. Why should I care about my device CPU if everything runs smoothly, my battery lasts 4-5 days on normal load, built quality is rock solid, materials premium and design beautiful? I don't give a f*ck about the SoC used then.
Just a small comparison - Contacts app on my N9 loads 1 sec. faster than contacts on SGS3...and that's the highest specced device for 2012. So why do I need quad core CPU?!
Just my 5 cents on the subject...

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
+1 to this
bumping specs is just a gimmick for buyers that don't know what they want and why but they do know that 4 is more than 2. Relevance of that fact is not important for them.
For me, top HW means only very high price while the device actually has no real value as a product because in 3-4 months there will be new one. I'll rather go with last year HW but with optimized SW, lower price and most likely longer battery life. Which is still far more important to me for a mobile device than some benchmark results or fact that S3 opens some app 27ms faster than htc oneX or something like that.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
I don't seethe need for topmost SoC in Jolla future device. Why should I care about my device CPU if everything runs smoothly, my battery lasts 4-5 days on normal load, built quality is rock solid, materials premium and design beautiful? I don't give a f*ck about the SoC used then.
Just a small comparison - Contacts app on my N9 loads 1 sec. faster than contacts on SGS3...and that's the highest specced device for 2012. So why do I need quad core CPU?!
Just my 5 cents on the subject...
100% agreement here.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
My takeaway about the hardware specs for Jolla is that they are coming to market with a dual core device and are trying to avoid being placed in the 'mediocre tech' category by focusing away from specs and towards UX. I imagine sort of like what BB10 did.

Well, that'll be labeled 'mediocre tech,' just like BB10 has been. Not bad, but not even close to what the leading companies will be producing at that time.
There are 3 or more generations of Cortex A9, for example. And from 1.0 to new 3.0 GHz ! So releasing a smartphone with a new SoC using last generation dual core Cortex A9 @ 2-3 GHz is not "mediocre tech" at all. It would have 8-12x the performance of a N9 CPU (Cortex A8 @ 1 GHz).

About GPU, more important than specs is to be open (source code drivers), so the community can improve the OS or put other OS in the Jolla smartphone.

Well, about the media, they don't call iPhone a "mediocre tech" even if it always has less RAM and less powerful CPU than Android smartphones and even Nokia N9 (1GB RAM > RAM of iPhone 4s* and older). So the media is not impartial, the have intere$t$ when they write every sentece about a device.

(*) : ok, why to put a lot of RAM in iPhone if it can't really multi-task ?!
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-03-01 at 13:42. Reason: 8-12x instead of 4-6x

the one who brag about specs usually came from

1. Android fanbase
2. Windoze overclocker
3. Or just some common particle who follows the 'stupid-trending-people-say-that'

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I do care for the specs, but also for how much it costs. I don't want an uber specced phone for 800+€. The low of the high range is largely good enough for me today.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I agree with most of the people here, that specs are not important as long as the software is optimized for it, however, there are different types of specs...

For example for most, I don't care about the SoC or display resolution, but I do care if the defice has, say, IR, FM transmitter, HW keyboard, notification LED etc. Those things are important as they make a difference and add a functionality (or a possibility of it).

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@nodevel
Very good point and clarification - we are speaking about "specs", but most of us mean SoC/GPU/RAM.
Of course as I stated above - we/me DO care about display type/resolution, HW keyboard, built quality and materials, design etc. For me they must be top notch and I am willing to pay for it. I want to have pleasure when using the device, when looking at it and when holding it in my hand.

Higher specs is a tradeoff - more cores require more power - which means shorter battery life. But modern heavy applications like browsers and etc.benefit a lot from multithreading. So it's not only multitasking that is affected. Keep that in mind in general when developing applications by the way.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?