No more thoughts on this subject?

Another example post was left today in the forum where someone is asking for a sticky thread.

Ive changed my sig to promote the wiki at the very least...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Cas07, I'll be grabbing your sig and using too if you don't mind.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Cas07 View Post
Ive changed my sig to promote the wiki at the very least...
To be pedantic: It's the "maemo.org wiki". "Maemo" is the operating system. "maemo.org" (with a leading small "m") is the community website.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
thanks sjgadsby, at least i know you're paying attention <G>.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This argument has been rehashed at least 3 or 4 times.
I believe i was the instigator one of those times, and the reasoning for the current structure still baffles me. I've never seen a site that buried its wiki like M.O does. I find myself googling things rather than going straight into wiki to look, which is odd when i'm usually starting on T.M.O.

My newbie-to-M.O experience is a few months back now, but the layout paradigm in general was confusing then. I gravitated toward T.M.O because it was the only section that seemed to follow some clear and coherent paradigm.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
To be pedantic: It's the "maemo.org wiki". "Maemo" is the operating system. "maemo.org" (with a leading small "m") is the community website.
I like pedantic

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This argument has been rehashed at least 3 or 4 times.
Unfortunately, the practice is proving the theory wrong

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Cas07 View Post
Ahh i call foul on the subjects, because there is a Talk link
... which was added in spite of my protests, due to popular demand at the time of the ITT->TMO change.

Not sure if this will rehash old ground but my thoughts are that the Community is rather broad subject but Wiki (or Documentation subject) is a subject in its own right.
For new people visiting this site the documentation should be their first port of call and also reduce the excessive posting in the forum on topics covered in the wiki.
I would say that even novice users upon seeing a link to the wiki would associate it with a knowledge base due to Wikipedia popularity.

There was a long debate about this - I wanted a "Support" link on the top bar, and it was decided that there wasn't enough room for it *and* Talk. So the "Get help" button was added on the right with links to "Get help, ask questions, etc" and brings you to http://maemo.org/support. Then there's the wiki as a community documentation database - so it's accessible in maemo.org/community. Then there's developer documentation, which is available on maemo.org/development

My concern is that we in the community see tools, while people who are arriving in Maemo have problems they want to solve, or tasks they want to accomplish.

I'm happy to discuss how we can better bring people from maemo.org to wiki.maemo.org if that's where they should be;, but I'm firmly against adding "wiki" to the top navbar (not least among the reasons: try maemo.org on an N900 with that change, and see what it looks like).

Cheers,
Dave.
I specifically didn't want a Documentation link on the top bar, because documentation doesn't say anything about what the user wants to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
My concern is that we in the community see tools, while people who are arriving in Maemo have problems they want to solve, or tasks they want to accomplish.

I'm happy to discuss how we can better bring people from maemo.org to wiki.maemo.org if that's where they should be;, but I'm firmly against adding "wiki" to the top navbar (not least among the reasons: try maemo.org on an N900 with that change, and see what it looks like).

Cheers,
Dave.
Yep good points and these were things that i certainly considered too but with no feedback I was unsure what else to suggest.
As I am fairly new to the site, I'm still learning the entire structure and how the pre-N900 members view it.

I have put together a quick banner that I consider covers what a main site should have. Comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Personally I think the "Community" part needs restructuring.

Off the cuff, I would do the following at the very least (using Cas07's proposed site header above):

Community
- Wiki
- Talk
- various other 2nd level links for council, events, etc

In fact I see no reason why those can't be drop-down menus.

I'll draw up something more formal and detailed later.

EDIT: I would add an "About" link to Cas07's banner, in lieu of "Intro" on the current one.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-19 at 16:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: