Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Hi. It's been awhile since I used to spend nearly all my free time on this forum.

I recently took up a hobby of learning LaTeX for mathematical and text professional typesetting and was delighted to find that the MaemoTeX package works on Maemo OS 2008 Chinook on my N800 for "compiling" TeX source into PDF documents.

My N800 is setup for booting onto a SDHC card where I have tons of packages installed including KDE for Maemo. I didn't care for Diablo when it was released and I really don't want to flash my N800 with it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent text editor/IDE like Geany or SciTE that doesn't still suffer from the "save as" bug (if you know what I mean) or the lack of a virtual keyboard. Is there currently any such program available that will work on a N800 or possibly even a Debian or KDE package (like Kile) that I could use for my text editing? I'm using Leafpad at the moment.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
It's good to have you back!

I don't have a suggestion (sorry!); rather, in light of your history, I'm curious: why aren't you using a text editor in a Mac emulation?

Thanks GeraldKo. Good to see you still here!

Using MS Word 6 or Corel WordPerfect 3.5 via Basilisk II on my N800 may be an option. I could save the text files directly to the NIT's file system. I would have to use a virtual keyboard of course.

Other thoughts:

Geany has (syntax hilighting, compilation) support for TeX, but has two "bugs" on N800s. Same goes for SciTE.

The latest Abiword won't install on Chinook it appears due to "problems" with more recent shared libraries. The desktop version of Abiword has LaTeX support.

The KDE for Maemo I have installed doesn't have Kile, which is great for LaTeX development.

I'm downloading qole's "Debian Image Installer" right now with big hopes and a bit of excitement. I figured there would be a ton of undiscovered Maemo gems when I returned to using my N800 again <g>.

PS: I bought a Raon Digital Everun and Acer Aspire One in the meantime, but those aren't the best devices for reading (LaTeX manuals) in bed.

Also, you could use Penguinbait's Console Tools to easily save a Chinook SD-based OS and then flash with Diablo without losing Chinook. Apart from issues with finger-versus-stylus use, I don't see a single downside to Diablo.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Cool. Now if my only SDHC cards weren't currently full (mmc1=16GB,mmc2=8GB). Thanks for pointing Penguinbait's Console Tools out.

I was having issues with Diablo last year the first couple of weeks it was out and probably things will go smoother now.

Do you know if Geany works properly on a N800 running Diablo (i.e. Save As works)? The main applications I wish to run on my NIT are TiEmu, Evince, MaemoTeX, and some IDE or (souped up) text editor I could use for editing LaTeX code.

Finger vs. Stylus use issue? I prefer to use the stylus for everything so would this be an issue to me?

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Cool. Now if my only SDHC cards weren't currently full (mmc1=16GB,mmc2=8GB). Thanks for pointing Penguinbait's Console Tools out.

I was having issues with Diablo last year the first couple of weeks it was out and probably things will go smoother now.

Do you know if Geany works properly on a N800 running Diablo (i.e. Save As works)? The main applications I wish to run on my NIT are TiEmu, Evince, MaemoTeX, and some IDE or (souped up) text editor I could use for editing LaTeX code.

Finger vs. Stylus use issue? I prefer to use the stylus for everything so would this be an issue to me?
I've always been a stylus-only guy. No problem. (Other people complained that the Tablets used to be better at distinguishing a stylus from a finger.)

Evince runs fine. Someone else will have to answer on the other apps. (I'm not a coder and don't use the apps you asked about. I run a lot of apps, though, and everything that ran on Chinook runs for me on Diablo.)

Khertan's pygtkeditor works really well and appears to support latex syntax highlighting. He just upgraded it a week ago and works great for me.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/pygtkeditor/

Thanks Pipeline. I forgot to mention that I have tried pygtkeditor (since it was released) and it also has problems on my N800 using Chinook.

About 10 minutes ago my 8 GB mmc1 card became corrupt and unbootable when I tried running OpenOffice.org via Easy Debian. I'm about to pull it out of my N800 and hopefully format it successfully.