Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@wmarone: Yes, but they'd run the risk of potentially generating ill will in the long run with a significant price difference.

$2.99 for 3 level packs on Maemo
$1.99 for 5 level packs on iPhone (But it's been available longer at the discounted price of $0.99 than the full price)

@Elhana: I don't know about that. It sounds to me that their marketing departments have been pressing the right (pavlovian) buttons that some customers throw caution to the wind and act on impulse purchase that they later regret and look for something to blame on.

You can look up the statistics of impulse purchases to find out more about this sad fact.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

It's pretty simple, piracy has almost always the better product. Not only for a better price, but also with better quality

Originally Posted by azorni View Post
Theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given.

Now when you copy someone else's code, at the end of the process this person still owns this code. He still has it on his disk, and he still can use it. He is in the exact same situation as he was before you copied it.

Time spent in developpment has value, but since the product has zero marginal cost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_cost), then this timework loses its value as soon as only one item is sold.

It is just the same for a poet who writes a master-piece. His work may have great artistic value, but since it can be learned by heart by anyone, it has no commercial value.

The functionality provided by the code is not any good reason for value. Again, this value might exist, but it doen't mean that it is a commercial value. The air I breave has much value for me, but it's free. We use the internet protocol every day, but it's free. You developp using a programming language that has been designed by someone else, but it's free. And yet, you want to charge people for a few lines of code that you wrote using these free tools. Shame on you.

Software is information. Information is knowledge. Knowledge should be shared.
In my entire time reading posts on the internet this is the biggest pile of crap I have ever had the misfortune to read.

There are so many things wrong with it I am not even going to try and refute them all. Needless to say its obvious you are a clown who has little or no understanding of the following

1) Copyright
2) Coding
3) Coding Languages and compilers
4) How to spell breathe.
5) The difference between learning a poem and copying said poem and claiming its yours.
6) The internet

Please attempt to grow at least the semblance of a clue before posting again.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by azorni View Post
The functionality provided by the code is not any good reason for value. Again, this value might exist, but it doen't mean that it is a commercial value. The air I breave has much value for me, but it's free. We use the internet protocol every day, but it's free. You developp using a programming language that has been designed by someone else, but it's free. And yet, you want to charge people for a few lines of code that you wrote using these free tools. Shame on you.
Professional programmers can not live on air alone.

Originally Posted by bousch View Post
So there's no way that one can profit from the free and open source software?

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Originally Posted by bousch View Post
Professional programmers live on a salary. How business makes revenues on the product they make is another story. There is many examples of a free software that makes money for their creators.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
5) The difference between learning a poem and copying said poem and claiming its yours.
I'm not going to truly get involved in this Piracy/non-piracy mess.. but just wanted to point out:

Not usually do pirates actually *claim* the software they pirated was theirs... in fact - It quite clearly says, for example, "Adobe Creative Suite Design", or whatever - indicating that it is, and was, in fact adobe's software.

What is being done by pirates is.. I go buy a book from the book store of all of Edgar Allen Poe's poems. I then make 1000's of copies of every poem.. and go hand them to my friends.

I am not claiming I wrote Edgar Allen Poe's poems... I'm simply redistributing his work for free.

As far as whether it's right or wrong.. well that argument is as pointless as .45 vs 9mm, MeeGo vs Maemo, Nokia vs Apple... <insert your sub-cultures specific endless debacle here>.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Piracy is theft in every legal sense of the word.
Nitpick: in most sane jurisdictions "piracy" is simply copyright infringement, a civil (not criminal) matter. It's still wrong, but not theft in the legal sense of the word as you put it.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
So let's see... you put your debit card into a bank machine, and I clone it. You get your card back, in the same state you (voluntarily) put it in the machine and can still continue to use it. So I've taken nothing from you - no foul and no crime, right?

Except that I can also use the clone of your card to achieve the same purpose you use it for - namely removing money from your bank account.

Whether the actual article is removed from the original owner suddenly becomes irrelevent to the discussion, no?

As a writer, I hold copyright on everything I write. I feel very strongly that that copyright is important. I choose to make some of my writings freely available - but that's my choice and I retain the copyright. If people wish to sell access to the materials they create, I believe they have that right, even if I choose not to. Taking their creativity is a form of theft, even if they are not deprived of the original.

Red - I would love to thank you for this post - but no thanks link in offtopic anymore - but I could not have said it better.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900