Notices

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by pooze View Post
I was trying this, but can't seem to get it working. I fetched the linked .deb package and installed it. In one terminal I started "xmimd -v" locally on the N9. It immediately reports "Server running" and stays there (not daemonized). On another terminal, still locally on the N9, I start a python GTK program. Nothing I do seem to trigger the virtual keyboard
4th paragraph of 1st post can be your answer :
"If Xephyr is being used, ..."

In Easy Debian Harmattan, only LXDE has vkb, standalone Debian softwares outside LXDE don't have vkb provided by MeeGo Maliit via xmimd.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I was trying this, but can't seem to get it working. I fetched the linked .deb package and installed it. In one terminal I started "xmimd -v" locally on the N9. It immediately reports "Server running" and stays there (not daemonized). On another terminal, still locally on the N9, I start a python GTK program. Nothing I do seem to trigger the virtual keyboard.
The problem is that the VKB will NOT popup over a non fullscreen window. I have no idea ATM how to fix this without replacing core packages/scripts. The workarounds are to:
A) Use Xephyr and run the native apps under Xephyr...
B) OR Patch Gtk+ or the app you are running so that it creates top-level windows as fullscreen.

(fullscreen = NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN -- aka without the bottom gray empty toolbar)

Being puzzled by this, I also tried setting the GTK_IM_MODULE and XMODIFIERS environment variables, although I understood the text as if it was only needed for chroot and remote environments.
No, you are always supposed to set this -- but on the Gtk+ app environment.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-08-25 at 15:05.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The problem is that the VKB will NOT popup over a non fullscreen window.
Thanks Javispedro. After testing some Easy Debian softwares running outside LXDE (i.e., without xephyr), the following work in fullscreen with translucent vkb : Gnumeric, TeXMaker, wxMaxima.
I use the command :
$ xmimd -t -x <window-id> -v
as user in MeeGo Terminal.
The more practical "wmctrl" is not present in MeeGo, just in Debian (image), so I run "wmctrl" in Debian terminal.

Anyway, I am not convinced that vkb outside LXDE is useful (to Easy Debian) due to some limitations :
- some open/save/about windows are not fullscreen and not fully visible so cannot be closed;
- it is more difficult to gain focus to make the vkb visible;
- only some softwares in fullscreen outside LXDE has working vkb.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Good news. After disabling the option "Settings->Time and language->Text input->Error correction", then Abiword and wxMaxima now show the text as its typed with the virtual keyboard.

With the above option on, the text is shown only after spaces or enter.

I will document this tip in Easy Debian Harmattan topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
This is all amazing stuff and I really thank you guys...it's just that I have this tiny little problem here. Wasn't really sure whether to post it here or in the easy debian thread but I guess this works. So anyway I went throught the wonderful guide for noobs like me by rcolistete and it worked. AMAZING! Then I looked at the guide again and saw the vkb was supposed to be translucent. Now I can use the vkb inside lxde and it works perfectly. Installed the latest files and stuff.

EDIT:Fixed the aegis/wazapp thingy reinstalled the whole stuff and still no transparancy.

Last edited by BananaOnDrugs; 2012-09-22 at 11:45.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi your screenshot isn't visible but I am sure its about failed loading policy etc...Just do a apt-get purge wazapp, reboot then install wazapp again...

Edit: Try:

Code:
dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq wazapp

If it still doesn't work out, send me a PM as its getting off-topic here...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-22 at 08:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Sorry for the somehow stupid question, but can xmimd be used with other applications besides the ones from EasyDebian? Specifically, I want to try to use it with DosBOX port (link). Is it possible?

Originally Posted by PIDk View Post
Sorry for the somehow stupid question, but can xmimd be used with other applications besides the ones from EasyDebian? Specifically, I want to try to use it with DosBOX port (link). Is it possible?
Certainly. But it will not fix DOSBox's problem.

I did implement the required support in the past, but it won't work as-is in the N9.

I'm working on the N9 version, but as usual with me these years, progress is glacially slow because of little available time.

Hi to everyone,

Iīm already installed easy debian on my n9, but I didnīt want it because of the big keyboard on the screen. I just noticed about xmimd 1.2, but I canīt download it (error 404). Can someone upload it again please?

Thanks a lot!

My ISP is seemingly "missing in action" at the moment, but it should be back anytime "soon", it's not that I'm deleting it.